Proposal: Buy drink package = allowed to bring your own booze

alanstarr

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Then he must be quite picky. I seem to recall seeing a wide selection of Whiskey including many American brands. I seem to recall on the Indy it was 13 bucks covered or 14 even and you pay every dollar over. So if his brand if 15 bucks. He pays 2?

Very limited selection of scotch, mostly generic brands like Glenfiddich or Johnnie walker. No high end bourbons I saw, and the rums were all either spiced or dosed, very few actually Caribbean rums. They have to stock it before you can buy it!

Picky is a matter of perspective. To each their own and fair play to all, but most spirits drinkers prefer quality over quantity.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Sounds like the UK has a drinking problem. 😎

It absolutely does. Chain bars have created a culture of preferring large quantities of cheap booze over drinking something enjoyable. There's a particular chain called Wetherspoons which is the Walmart of bars that has done significant damage to the hospitality industry.

14 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

What is with the brown paper bags you see people drinking out of on TV and maybe even in the real world? Is that just for show or does it make it legal if the drink is in a bag?

Many states have laws prohibiting a visibly open container of alcohol in public. While the bag doesn't negate the rules, many police will turn a blind eye rather than going through the hassle of writing a ticket if they can say they couldn't see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

Very limited selection of scotch, mostly generic brands like Glenfiddich or Johnnie walker. No high end bourbons I saw

I seem to remember the indy bars having all the Johnny Walker colours. Black, Gold, Blue etc. Some of them very expensive aren't they? Isn't Black the most expensive one?

5 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

It absolutely does. Chain bars have created a culture of preferring large quantities of cheap booze over drinking something enjoyable. There's a particular chain called Wetherspoons which is the Walmart of bars that has done significant damage to the hospitality industry

Well a good share of that damage has also been caused by loss leader alcohol sales in supermarkets and off licences more people are drinking at home and the locals pubs are closing down. You can't put all that at Wetherspoons door. And what about Revolution vodka bars. A rack of 6 flavoured vodka shots for what £5 or maybe the increased that to £10. Not in every town but in every major town they are. That is big binge drinking right there and they encourage it.

15 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

Many states have laws prohibiting a visibly open container of alcohol in public. While the bag doesn't negate the rules, many police will turn a blind eye rather than going through the hassle of writing a ticket if they can say they couldn't see it.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see much of this and up until this last December, we spend one week in NYC. I haven’t noticed any brown bags. I suspect the price of alcohol has something to do with that. Maybe we avoid the areas that might be doing this?  TV shows are not America. 

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I always thought Green was the bottom of the pile the expensive being ones Black and Gold with Red and Blue in the middle.  🤣

The problem with JW is that once you reach something palatable, you're paying far too much for what you're getting. Personally, I wouldn't drink anything below the gold label by choice (and there is literally always a choice), but for the cost there are so many amazing options. 

main-qimg-cbc490f438805d66f9c8ec39fd2ba0e2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:42 AM, ace2542 said:

Then he must be quite picky. I seem to recall seeing a wide selection of Whiskey including many American brands. I seem to recall on the Indy it was 13 bucks covered or 14 even and you pay every dollar over. So if his brand if 15 bucks. He pays 2?

I am quite picky, and there's not a wide selection of bourbons/ryes available, at least that I've seen in the past. Whistle Pig 10yr is a decent rye, but at the lower level of what I tend to enjoy. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 7:47 PM, ace2542 said:

Both. I have only been on one Royal ship but I have heard that rumour they cancel you or they used to it at least. Bit harsh if true.

I’ve never heard that, you just get called to the naught room to open your luggage to have it taken, given back at the end of the cruise. The cruise lines make a lot their profits from onboard spending.