Edge or Reflection ??

Roxxy

Hi There 🙂

All of our cruise plans keep getting cancelled or shifted to something we cannot do 😞

We are looking at the Christmas sailings now departing Fort Lauderdale.

The itineraries are quite similar and we have been on the Reflection before and loved it!

I just can't decide if we should go with the unknown or not.  I am not a fan of the infinite balconies but there are some Sunset Verandas available I could choose.

The Reflection does do a stop at Puerta Plata which we have not done and that is why I am leaning towards her.

Any input will help!

Thanks !

Such a tough question.  I for one LOVE the EDGE, openness, colors, views of the sea, especially from Eden.  Many seem to not like the modern updates of EDGE, but we thought stunning, different for sure, but so relaxing and innovative.  Do some youtube search, lots and lots of full ship tours there, may help you make your decision.  Good luck! 

I’d go for Edge if a Sunset Veranda is available. Our only issue with Edge was the Infinite Veranda. The 4 Main Dining Rooms were almost like having a dedicated dining room similar to Blu or Luminae. It is also significantly different than an S Class ship. The trade off is no al fresco restaurants on Edge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I have cruised on both. Each ship is significantly different, almost as if you were on another cruise line on each. When I think of adjectives to describe the Reflection, I think of: sophisticated, artful, elegant. For adjectives for the Edge, I think of: edgy, youthful, experimental. We typically travel in aqua class, and I would not recommend that for the Edge. Blu, on the Edge, is a disappointment.

• Like 3

I have also been on both ships and thoroughly enjoyed each one.  The best SV’s on Edge are in the center with decks 7 and 8 being a little larger in terms of their balconies.  Also, they are new.  On Reflection, the balconies have a little more space in the center cabins as far as balcony size.  Reflection has not been revolutionized yet, so still has the same furnishings and more reserved furnishings.   I love this S class ship and have cruises booked  on it in the fall.  I have an SV and an S1corner aft suite.  In 2022, I have Edge booked for Istanbul.  I always go with my gut feeling...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

Unless you're booking a suite, stay away from the Edge.  The Edge design was focused to develop the ship within a ship concept for the suite guests at the expense of the other passengers.  In addition, the Infinite Veranda is a poor substitute for a real balcony. 

It’s been two years, but I found Edge to be a little too trendy and gimmicky at the expense of function, with wasted spaces and furniture chosen more for style than comfort. There was a lack of the typical functional lounges designed for events and gatherings (for example, the Cruise Critic party was double booked with trivia in Eden so fizzled out, and the Captain’s party, again in Eden with its partitioned spaces, just didn’t work properly).

I agree that it wasn’t worth a price premium for Blu - no view at all, just curtains - and a daily trip through the “spooky forest” to reach it (though the staff was great and food was fine.) Hated the infinite verandah, but loved using my iPhone for so many purposes. 

Meanwhile I loved Reflection both times we sailed on her. We had an Apex sunset booking, but ended up cancelling (before the pandemic) because I liked Solstice Class so much more.

Also sailed both and loved both ships and have to say I really really liked the design of the Edge.  I loved the openness of the center of the ship on the Edge, it doesn't feel so closed in as the the Solstice class ships.  Eden was a very nice area both day and night, again the large open feeling with the added bonus of the expansive view of the sea.  I typically book a veranda but on the Edge I had a Deluxe Interior and I would do that again in a heart beat although I did miss the view.

So my thoughts would be to try the Edge if everything else is equal even if just to explore something new. If you are not one who likes change much then maybe stick with the Reflection. Either one is the Celebrity experience so it's not a majorly different product or service level.  In the end I would go on either ship as I have not had a bad cruise on any of my Celebrity sailings but all things equal you would find me on the Edge again even if just for one more time in any veranda instead of interior.  And I am NOT Celebrity's new target market 😉

Interestingly I have friends that only started cruising at my encouragement about 5 years ago, they joined me on the Reflection for their first ever cruise.  LOVED it of course and have sailed three times since; they have not wanted to change anything so every cruise has been on the Reflection, they wouldn't even consider another Solstice.  Well fast forward and their next cruise is on the Equinox only because the Reflection just wasn't an option.  I am totally fascinated how we are all different with change as this is big for them and they had to be talked into it by their daughter and SIL as they are sailing too.  Myself however, I like to at least have a little something new to explore as that is what adds to the excitement and anticipation for me.  I will repeat ships, as I have by sailing Equinox three times, but it's nice to change things up just a little when the opportunity presents itself.

Enjoy whatever you choose, I believe you cannot go wrong and will have a great trip no matter the ship.

Edited by poffles