Daily sunrise photo

rafinmd

Today's sunrise is the only one from a 2005 land trip to Africa with a safari and a journey on Rovos Rail from Johannesburg to Cape Town.  On March 29 I was in Cape Town before flying home the next day:

IMG_0154.JPG.f7257df7530898fd865473186bd

Roy

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is the first from yet another combination.  In 2013 I sailed Queen Elizabeth transatlantic to Southampton, then had several days flying London to Angkor Wat and Japan for a Crystal Symphony trans-Pacific to Vancouver.  April 1 was my first morning out of New York on Queen Elizabeth:

dawn0401.jpg

Roy

• Like 1

I only have one sunrise for April 3.  It is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony, Crystal Serenity, Amsterdam from Bali to Fort Lauderdale.  On April 3 Amsterdam was at sea from Cape Town to Walvis Bay:

dawn0403.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is the last one from my first string of cruises, Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney followed by Queen Victoria Bangkok to Dubai. On April 4 we docked in Dubai, and as it turns out April 4, 2010 was also Easter Sunday.

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.c32a22568b7d49e358976

We docked immediately behind QE2, then out of  service less than 2 years.

IMG_1790.thumb.JPG.3113a6986caa8e509c5050118e9cc207.JPG

Roy

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Queen Elizabeth-Crystal Symphony combination that included trans-Asia flights with a side trip to Angkor Wat.  On April 6 was QE's last sea day before arrival in Southampton:

dawn0406.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship Crystal/HAL combination (Symphony-Serenity-Amsterdam) combination Bali-Singapore-Cape Town-Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 9 MS Amsterdam was at sea from St. Helena to Ascension Island:

dawn0409.jpg

Roy

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship Crystal/HAL combination (Symphony-Serenity-Amsterdam) combination Bali-Singapore-Cape Town-Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 11 MS Amsterdam crossed the Equator after passing Ascension Island:

dawn0411.jpg

Roy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

On April 11 MS Amsterdam crossed the Equator after passing Ascension Island:

I've not yet managed to get a ship voyage that has crossed the equator, so am officially still a "pollywog" for the Neptune ceremony.  Hopefully one day.  Although, living in Australia, I've crossed the equator by air lots of times.

What did HAL do for the occasion on Amsterdam?

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I've not yet managed to get a ship voyage that has crossed the equator, so am officially still a "pollywog" for the Neptune ceremony.  Hopefully one day.  Although, living in Australia, I've crossed the equator by air lots of times.

What did HAL do for the occasion on Amsterdam?

Sadly, I have never crossed the Equator on Cunard, although I was supposed to do so just about one year ago,  I have done so several times each on HAL and Crystal and the ceremony is largely the same.  The ceremony was on the aft deck behind the lido; the layout is much the same as on QE and QV.  There are several groups of participants:

The Pollywogs were led in in groups, bound together in a line by a line attached to their ankles.

King Neptune and his Queen (from the showroom cast:

neptune.jpg

Several other cast members who did the "dirty work":

The pollywogs were led into the center of the circle and charged with offenses, generally of a humorous nature (I can't remember any from this cruise but when I was a pollywog on the Crystal Symphony I was accused of carrying a HAL tote bag on a Crystal Ship).

A jury of senior officers renders a verdict, invariably guilty:

charged.jpg

On conviction they are forced to kiss a huge fish and are then covered in slime:

thefish.jpg

sliming.jpg

A final decision is rendered, "stink" or "swim".  Some of the pollywogs are tossed into the pool while others are forced to sit, slime covered, at the end of the pool until the end of the ceremony:

stinkers.jpg

I was fortunate to get a seat but many others were looking on from the decks above the pool.  Sadly, the pool was closed for the rest of the day.

Roy

• Haha 1

Early this month I posted a couple of photos from an Eastbound Queen Elizabeth transatlantic with a notation that I was going on to an Eastbound Crystal Symphony transpacific with an intermediate stop in Angkor Wat.  I never saw the sun come up in Angkor Wat and April 14 was Symphony's first sea day out of Kobe.

dawn414b.jpg

Roy

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Serenity and Amsterdam combination.  On April 15 MS Amsterdam was supposed to be in Banjul, Gambia but was instead in Mindelo, Cape Verde due to the Ebola outbreak:

dawn0415.jpg

Roy

• Like 2