Where to do pre and post cruise days in Italy?

kdogs50

We are first timers to Europe traveling on a European cruise to Italy, Dubrovnik, and Greece. We can spend up to five days before and after cruise and don’t know where to begin to choose destinations. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Where does your cruise start and end?   Rome and Venice are both wonderful places.  Also where are you flying from, into?  All thar information helps make the best use of the time you have so you don’t spend more time than necessary in travel.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So we've done 5 days pre cruise based in Rome and another time 5 days pre cruise based in Florence.....

Rome was our first time in Italy and we stayed incredibly busy just exploring Rome.  

When we went to Florence (fall 2019), we took a day trip to Venice (via train) and did a day tour of the Tuscany valley and Pisa. Other days we explored Florence.

Both cruises left from Citavechia (sp?) and the morning of the cruise, we simply took a train to the port....and both pre cruise options were a blast....and easy.  We loved Italy and next time we are thinking of pre cruise to Naples.

Edited by FlaMariner

WOW the OP asks a simple question for which the answer may not be so simple :).  Must would depend on how many days (or weeks) you have pre/post cruise, your budget, your personal spirit of adventure, your "travel smarts" (my own term), and your personal interests.   For many folks pre or post time in Italy means spending a few days in Rome (the most convenient large city close to the port of Civitavecchia).  For somebody like DW and me it might mean renting a car at FCO and driving anywhere in the entire country (which we often do).  For others it might mean flying into a place like Venice or Florence, spending a few days, and then using the train system to get to the port.

I would emphasize there is no right or wrong but a matter of your own personal preference and then doing some homework to determine the best way to make your dreams come true.   Keep in mind that Italy is very tourist friendly, has a decent train system, pretty good domestic air (best left for long distances), plenty of rental car agencies, and decent roads.  The so-called language barrier is not much of a barrier in Italy but more of a minor challenge.  I will add my strong recommendation that it makes a lot of sense to have a working Smartphone (if you have T-mobile your phone will usually word, you can buy coverage with Verizon, etc).  Before you leave home install the free "Google Translate" app which is quite amazing and useful.  You can also download free walking tours, guides, etc.  Years ago I used to carry over 10 pounds of guidebooks, Michelin map sets, etc.   Now, all we need is our phone.

I will also offer a few tips about driving in Italy in case that is something you might consider.  You do "legally" need an International Drivers Permit (IDP) which you can easily obtain at any AAA (or CAA) office before you leave home.  Before anyone drives in Italy that should google "Italy ZTL" and read a few articles.  ZTLs are limited driving zones (located in quite a few popular tourist cities) and one should know the rules.  And you should also read about the basic parking rules in Italy (some of us think there are no rules...but that is another story).  Having driven over 10,000 miles within Italy I will also tell you that Italian drivers are absolutely crazy....but also quite safe.   And beware of speeding on major roads since Italy does use speed cameras and the fines (levied through your rental car company) can easily exceed $100 per offense.

Hank

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, bennybear said:

Where does your cruise start and end?    

Yes, we need to know that port / those ports before we can respond usefully.

(I'll wager it's probably Rome (Civitavecchia) to Venice, or vice-versa)

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree...@kdogs50...please come back and answer some of the questions others have posted for you. There are people here with tons of knowledge and experience...but some specifics on your part would help us help you. I see you haven't been active in a few weeks...

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.  There is so much to see a do.   IF renting a car is part of the plan then your horizons will expand greatly.  If it is cities then there are some fine choices large and small depending on your tastes.

You might want to do a little research first and based on you preferences come up with two or three options.

No reason to fear driving in Italy or Greece.  We have done it many times.  Our experience is that the stories about Italian or Greek drivers are greatly overblown.  Don't let this limit your plans.