Passport required on Closed loop San Diego cruise?

DaveOKC

When I was cruising last January, one of my cruising friends showed me her Washington EDL and told me it is "Real ID federally compliant," but I'm not sure what that means when compared to my State of New Hampshire Real ID license that was offered an an option in the beginning of 2017, but became a requirement this past October.....

A "Real ID" is proof of residency in your state.  Almost every state now offers this as an option.

An Enhanced DL is proof of US Citizenship....presumably to offer cross border driving to Canada.

A "Green Card" is proof that a non-US person is residing in the US.....and has an expiration date.

David

7 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

When I was cruising last January, one of my cruising friends showed me her Washington EDL and told me it is "Real ID federally compliant," but I'm not sure what that means when compared to my State of New Hampshire Real ID license that was offered an an option in the beginning of 2017, but became a requirement this past October.....

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

A "Real ID" is proof of residency in your state.  Almost every state now offers this as an option.

An Enhanced DL is proof of US Citizenship....presumably to offer cross border driving to Canada.

A "Green Card" is proof that a non-US person is residing in the US.....and has an expiration date.

David

Yes, the difference is that a "Real ID" will someday be required for domestic air travel, and an "EDL" shows citizenship and is used for land travel to Canada and Mexico.  The way to tell the difference is that a "Real ID" will have a red star in the corner, while an "EDL" will have a US flag in the corner.  An EDL is Real ID compliant, but a Real ID is not EDL compliant.

• Like 1

I have watched a number of times from my dockside balcony cabin as ambulances arrive to take people off the ship, or in other cases people obviously disembarking with all their luggage…so it does happen - with enough regularity it gives one pause to think - what if that happened to me. The ambulances are always the first off the ship - typically from the secondary gangway. 

So all those people need a Passport - a birth certificate/Real ID Drivers license will NOT get you home and through customs (Real ID is/will be needed to fly.)

To open another long standing discussion  do you take your passport ashore during port calls. Some say No - what if it gets stolen (some carry a photo of the Passport), others say yes - what if you get hurt/hospitalized while ashore or you miss the ship departure (see many YouTube videos on "pier runners")?

I always take our passports, emergency CC, and a bit of cash in a undergarment document case (and never expose/use it). I use a throwaway wallet with our ship cards, CC, and daily use cash. If that gets lost, stolen, pickpocketed - all is not lost - and the ship WILL let you back on - They have your picture on file.

A photo of your PP will not get you through customs, or even on a plane to the US - you will need to go through the process of an emergency PP in some foreign land. If my PP is somehow stolen in some foreign land - I would much prefer to be dealing with customs on my return while on US soil when the cruise ends (assuming it ends in the US that is of course).

• Like 1