Passport required on Closed loop San Diego cruise?

DaveOKC

My relatives are thinking of joining us on a California Classic cruise which has all California stops except for a 3 hour 6 PM stop in Ensenada.  They have never cruised before and do not have a passport.

So, what will HAL require on this cruise?  What they say on their website does not always match with what happens dock side, so I want to be sure.

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It won't be HAL's requirement, it will the federal government's requirement. And, no, you don't need a passport for that cruise.

You are right that the US does not require a passport for this itinerary.

However, there are cruise lines whose requirements exceed that of the US, so it is still wise to ask what HAL's requirements are. 

• Like 2

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

You are right that the US does not require a passport for this itinerary.

However, there are cruise lines whose requirements exceed that of the US, so it is still wise to ask what HAL's requirements are. 

There is no history that HAL requires more than the federal requirement, that I am aware of. That seems limited to higher end cruise lines.

Providing passport information is part of the online check-in. We're going on a California Coastal (with a short evening stop in Ensenada) voyage in November, and had to agree to passport conditions (HAL has our numbers and other info on file). If passport info is part of the check-in, you can't get your boarding pass with providing it. 

12 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

Providing passport information is part of the online check-in. We're going on a California Coastal (with a short evening stop in Ensenada) voyage in November, and had to agree to passport conditions (HAL has our numbers and other info on file). If passport info is part of the check-in, you can't get your boarding pass with providing it. 

Seems to be a significant departure from HAL’s ‘policy’ on closed-loop cruises as published on their web site:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Seems to be a significant departure from HAL’s ‘policy’ on closed-loop cruises as published on their web site:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

Perfect...simple as that.

It actually doesn't matter what HAL officialdom says. Are you in a situation where you suddenly might find your self in a foreign country wanting to fly back ===> You need a Passport.

It's as simple as that.

Any number of things might happen and you are off the ship in Mexico. Either a personal health issue, or other issue back at home that needs immediate return, some failure on the ship that kicks everyone off the ship.

Now what do you do? Sure there are processes to handle people without passports in those situations, but it's complicated and much slower. Why risk that, getting a passport is simple, and removes all those complexities.

Search CC for any number of war stories...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mrmoviezombie said:

It actually doesn't matter what HAL officialdom says. Are you in a situation where you suddenly might find your self in a foreign country wanting to fly back ===> You need a Passport.

It's as simple as that.

Any number of things might happen and you are off the ship in Mexico. Either a personal health issue, or other issue back at home that needs immediate return, some failure on the ship that kicks everyone off the ship.

Now what do you do? Sure there are processes to handle people without passports in those situations, but it's complicated and much slower. Why risk that, getting a passport is simple, and removes all those complexities.

Search CC for any number of war stories...

I agree with you 100%, but in this case it is VERY unlikely to happen as we will not even get off the ship in Mexico at all (we are only there for a short required stop late in the day) AND since Ensenada is so close to the US border and San Diego, I cannot foresee a ship issue that would dump us in Mexico.

I agree, DaveOKC, that it sounds like they don't require a passport for this cruise and that it's highly, highly unlikely an unusual situation would come up where they'd wish they had one.

That being said, why don't they just get passports?  It's not that expensive or onerous a process, and just one more (albeit highly unlikely) potential trouble-spot removed.  Probably the biggest risk would be getting stuck in the online HAL check-in and ending up taking more time in line at embarkation, but why even deal with that potential frustration?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iceman93 said:

I agree, DaveOKC, that it sounds like they don't require a passport for this cruise and that it's highly, highly unlikely an unusual situation would come up where they'd wish they had one.

That being said, why don't they just get passports?  It's not that expensive or onerous a process, and just one more (albeit highly unlikely) potential trouble-spot removed.  Probably the biggest risk would be getting stuck in the online HAL check-in and ending up taking more time in line at embarkation, but why even deal with that potential frustration?

I agree with you, but I cannot control what they do.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think a good test would be to have them do the online checkin.  I think if they are allowed to register with a birth certificate/photo id they should be covered.

Roy

Good thought, except that they want to know before booking the cruise.  Plus, the online registration does not open up until about 6 months out.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I agree with you 100%, but in this case it is VERY unlikely to happen as we will not even get off the ship in Mexico at all (we are only there for a short required stop late in the day) AND since Ensenada is so close to the US border and San Diego, I cannot foresee a ship issue that would dump us in Mexico.

Hi, DaveOKC, I used to feel the same way about closed-loop trips. Then we were on a Caribbean cruise, sitting at the aft pool and talking to a very nice lady as we looked out at the lights of our port prior to an evening departure. She got up to get a drink, and not five feet away, slipped and fell HARD. Her knee swelled up unbelievably. The medical staff came out and whisked her away. Never saw her again on that trip, but we suspect (don't know for sure) she had to fly home to the US for medical treatment. It was eye-opening for us, as we'd just never thought about an accident on the ship that might necessitate our disembarkation in a foreign port. I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's just something to be aware of.

Good luck with your decision, hope you all have a fantastic cruise. 

7 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Hi, DaveOKC, I used to feel the same way about closed-loop trips. Then we were on a Caribbean cruise, sitting at the aft pool and talking to a very nice lady as we looked out at the lights of our port prior to an evening departure. She got up to get a drink, and not five feet away, slipped and fell HARD. Her knee swelled up unbelievably. The medical staff came out and whisked her away. Never saw her again on that trip, but we suspect (don't know for sure) she had to fly home to the US for medical treatment. It was eye-opening for us, as we'd just never thought about an accident on the ship that might necessitate our disembarkation in a foreign port. I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's just something to be aware of.

Agree, except that we are in Mexican waters for about 6 hours the whole cruise.

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

This is exactly my concern - the website says that only a birth certificate plus a EDL license is required, BUT the checkin online requires a passport number!  Typical HAL.

No, you need a birth certificate and any driver's license.  If you have an EDL, you don't need the birth certificate.

Question, it seems that you have done an online check-in, but the others can't due to time until the cruise?  Also, if you type in a driver's license number, will it reject this?

I don't believe that HAL has ever required a passport for a US based closed loop cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took our grandkids to Alaska in 2019.  They used their birth certificates and driver's license for flying and checking in with Holland America when we got to Seattle.  I checked them in with Holland America on line before we left to get their boarding passes.  You can check in without a passport. We went to Victoria before coming back to Seattle, no problem.  I agree with all of you that a passport is so much easier but it can be done without one. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up for everyone - due to Covid - if you do need a passport or a renewal, the agency is warning  citizens that the processing time is currently at least 3-4 months! And remember that your passport expiration date for most countries generally needs to be good for AT LEAST 6+ months more from the last date of your departure home to the USA from your foreign travel. So don't wait to renew your passport!

Edited by boze9999

29 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

Just a heads up for everyone - due to Covid - if you do need a passport or a renewal, the agency is warning  citizens that the processing time is currently at least 3-4 months! And remember that your passport expiration date for most countries generally needs to be good for AT LEAST 6+ months more from the last date of your departure home to the USA from your foreign travel. So don't wait to renew your passport!

As of an update on the Passport Agency website dated January 14, the time needed for a non-expedited renewal is 10-12 weeks. Expediting for an extra cost will take 4-6 weeks. So not quite as dire as you state.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html#:~:text=We now offer routine service,passport in 4-6 weeks.

12 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

This is exactly my concern - the website says that only a birth certificate plus a EDL license is required, BUT the checkin online requires a passport number!  Typical HAL.

So here's the curveball:  I will speak to a situation that involves a U.S. citizen who lives alone, who does not have a passport, does not have a computer, laptop, cell phone, smartphone, or even a TV, but who does have a currently valid EDL.  

She booked a HAL reservation on her landline phone through a TA.  After she explained all this to the TA, the TA put her on hold, and she called HAL.  The solution:  The TA or the passenger can telephone HAL to do the "online check in" over the telephone.  In this case, the TA did the check in for the passenger for a Caribbean cruise in February 2020.

It was possible a year ago.  Whether it's possible now, I have no idea.

• Like 1

Required vs. highly recommended... two very different things. Whether required or not, having a passport is always highly recommended for a variety of reasons.

Of course you don't have control over what they do, but since they likely have plenty of time before you sail, you could recommend to them that they get one prior to departure.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, CruiseMGM said:

We had a similar situation with a teenager (part of our group) who was playing basketball, took a hard landing after a jump, and broke his leg!  One thing I hadn't realized (until then) was that the ship's doctor has the authority to send you home from the cruise -- this kid needed surgery, and was flown home from Grand Cayman 2 days after the incident (with a sea-day in-between).  Since then we've never cruised without medical and evacuation insurance.

• Like 2

There will be issues with EDL's when cruising resumes from California's ports.

A "California Real ID" is not an enhanced driver's license.  Only New York, Washington, Vermont and Michigan have them at this time.  

Also, white it is possible to sail with a Birth Certificate it is presumed to be a US one.  A few times guests have arrived for a cruise from San Diego with a Mexican BCs only to be denied boarding.

Also, you cannot sail with a Military ID along with a driver's license.  Even though a "government issued" ID, it does not pertain to citizenship.

Lastly, a closed loop cruise from California to Hawaii is often mistaken.  Proof of Citizenship is required as the ship is stopping in Mexico on the way back

The surest way to avoid a problem is to possess a valid Passport.

David

One final thought....your passport book or card must be scanned at the pier.  A photo of your passport on your phone, or a photocopy of it is not valid.  Please do not leave your passport in your checked luggage!!!

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2