Question about military discounts

Stockjock

15 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Read my post. It was regarding the UK not USA. And I get 10% ex taxes.

Using a UK TA is pointless for Celebrity as ex-Military. I believe US TAs can get better discounts. 

Using the current 20% off sale if you click the military (and include your CC number) the military discount is substantial. Shame we do not have the sale in the UK as all the prices are 10% less. 

One thing I noticed about the military rate, the sailing I looked appeared to include the "always included" package, or certainly they weren't clear that it didn't, imo.  But apparently, it's a cruise only package without the drinks and extras.

Edited by Stockjock

Out of Interest what verification do they require of US retired military. Do you get asked for ID at the Port on embarkation.

I give a number from a Military Discount card when booking on the UK site. Retired British military cannot keep their MOD 90 military IDs and cannot access military sites post discharge.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:02 PM, Stockjock said:

I'll add a personal comment that anyone can disagree with and I expect that some will.

Private businesses can offer perks or discounts to whomever they wish and use whatever criteria, be it loose or strict, to qualify said individuals for those discounts.  They can offer discounts to students, teachers, healthcare workers, cops, firefighters, paramedics, military, whomever they want to.

And if one is permitted get a discount, that is fine.  I've seen some call it "stolen valor" and in this specific context, I disagree.  If someone lies about their military experience, that's a different story (i.e. I was in Iraq for Operation Desert Storm when they actually worked for Starbucks).

As I previously mentioned, my GF was married to a military man for many years.  She receives a military pension, has a military dependent ID, can enter most military bases.  She stayed at home and tended to the family while her (then) husband was transferred around the world and of course she (knowingly) upended her life to support him, the family and his military service.  Did she personally serve?  Obviously not.  Should she be extended a discount?  That's up to the business offering the discount.

I think this is valid. IMO, the military discount isn't more valid than resident or senior discounts. If you qualify for a discount then you should get it; There's no issue of honor or valor in that. Claiming to be a veteran when you are not is a no no. But if a cruise line chooses to offer the discount called "military" to military spouses, so what. I've gotten a discount on a cruise before for being a Ohio Resident. No one is saying that living in Ohio has any special meaning to your and what you have done in your life. Just whatever algorithm they use decided to offer a discount to certain state residents. 

IMO, people are taking this way to personally. I'm law enforcement but think that has only been a discount on one cruise that I've taken. Others my discounts have been for repeat customer, Ohio resident, senior (when traveling with a friend who is), or through booking with a TA. It is what it is, I don't blame anyone for asking for a discount they are entitled to. And the only one who determines what discount you are "entitled to" is the business offering the discount. 

3 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Out of Interest what verification do they require of US retired military. Do you get asked for ID at the Port on embarkation.

I give a number from a Military Discount card when booking on the UK site. Retired British military cannot keep their MOD 90 military IDs and cannot access military sites post discharge.

You don't have a retired military ID card? I'm a veteran but wasn't a lifer. So no retired ID. I do have a VA ID card due to a service connected disability.  I always get the military/veteran discount. I have never been asked to provide proof during the booking process or at the embarkation port. IMO, proof (ID for active duty or DD214 for veterans) that you actually served should be required when booking the cruise. IMO, Celebrity recognizing the service member/veteran goes far beyond the dollar discount amount. I've actually attended some of the ships sponsored veteran appreciation gatherings. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I think this is valid. IMO, the military discount isn't more valid than resident or senior discounts. If you qualify for a discount then you should get it; There's no issue of honor or valor in that. Claiming to be a veteran when you are not is a no no. But if a cruise line chooses to offer the discount called "military" to military spouses, so what. I've gotten a discount on a cruise before for being a Ohio Resident. No one is saying that living in Ohio has any special meaning to your and what you have done in your life. Just whatever algorithm they use decided to offer a discount to certain state residents. 

IMO, people are taking this way to personally. I'm law enforcement but think that has only been a discount on one cruise that I've taken. Others my discounts have been for repeat customer, Ohio resident, senior (when traveling with a friend who is), or through booking with a TA. It is what it is, I don't blame anyone for asking for a discount they are entitled to. And the only one who determines what discount you are "entitled to" is the business offering the discount. 

Celebrity does give the military discount to the spouse (at least if cruising with the military member or veteran). But an ex wife/husband that has a dependent ID (with military benefits) should not qualify for a military discount. That's why Celebrity needs to request proof if still in the military or an honorable discharge for veterans.  IMO, it's all about recognizing the military member/veteran far more than the few dollar discount. 

Edited by davekathy

27 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity does give the military discount to the spouse (at least if cruising with the military member or veteran). But an ex wife/husband that has a dependent ID (with military benefits) should not qualify for a military discount. That's why Celebrity needs to request proof if still in the military or an honorable discharge for veterans.  IMO, it's all about recognizing the military member/veteran far more than the few dollar discount. 

But I think this is what causing issues for people. It's not. Am I correct in understanding that military discounts are not offered on all sailings? Celebrity isn't recognizing military service for some sailings and not for others. They are offering a discount on some sailings. Just like they offer discounts for many things. There are plenty of ways that military service is recognized - and when that's what is happening, I don't think that should apply to non-military dependents. And frankly, $100 off isn't much recognition. There's an algorithm in their system that wants to push sailings that decides - this group has roughly this many members and if we offer a discount of X amount, on average we get this many extra bookings. So whether the discount is military, law enforcement, senior, etc; it's just an algorithm choosing. 

28 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

But I think this is what causing issues for people. It's not. Am I correct in understanding that military discounts are not offered on all sailings? Celebrity isn't recognizing military service for some sailings and not for others. They are offering a discount on some sailings. Just like they offer discounts for many things. There are plenty of ways that military service is recognized - and when that's what is happening, I don't think that should apply to non-military dependents. And frankly, $100 off isn't much recognition. There's an algorithm in their system that wants to push sailings that decides - this group has roughly this many members and if we offer a discount of X amount, on average we get this many extra bookings. So whether the discount is military, law enforcement, senior, etc; it's just an algorithm choosing. 

Agree. And I for one have an issue with those that are not currently serving or aren't a veteran or are an ex that are claiming they deserve the recognition because they use to be married to a service member. That's why I say an ex does should not qualify or deserve the military/veteran discount. A widow/widower of a service member/veteran, yes without a doubt they should get the military/veteran discount. 

I can't speak for all cruises, but the cruises we've done, Caribbean, West Coast, East Coast, Mexico and Alaska cruises all have qualified for the military/veteran discount. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I'll even take it a step further.  I know the military issue is a sensitive subject, but generally, I don't even have a problem with someone flat-out lying or fibbing to get a discount.

Example: I thought about getting an expensive new computer.  They offered a $100 discount to students, but did not require proof or an .edu e-mail address.  I am not a student or educator, but I claimed the discount and received it.

Was it a win for the computer manufacturer?  Yes.  I'm quite certain they still made a substantial profit on the computer they sold to me.  Was it a win for me?  Yes, I saved $100.  Would I have bought it without the discount?  No.

So was it fib/lie?  Yes, absolutely.  Do I have good morals?  Yes.  Will I still get into heaven?  Well, if St. Peter denies me entry over the student discount issue, then perhaps not, but I'm assuming that won't be a problem.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 1

@Stockjock I personally have no major issue with that although I would not claim a discount I was not entitled to. However I will claim every ex-military and Health Service discount that is going, and will go via a cashback site if they are not available. I also play Amex cards for airline points so that I can turn Left rather than Right. All honest stuff and moneysaving sense.

My military friends who are now senior officers and have served in war torn areas can scoff at me claiming a military discount for the few years I did in the eighties. However it is available. I did not earn much and had a fair amount of inconvenience in those few years. 

I have have no anticipation of getting into a heaven. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 4:57 AM, hawkesbaynz said:

To receive the Celebrity discount you have to book direct with Celebrity so that needs to be weighed up with TA discounts. The prices always seem similar anyway and I would not book with a third party until normalcy and cash flows return. 

That is not correct. The TA can get you the Military Discount. They will tell you to bring your DD214 to the port with you to prove eligibility. They may or may not actually asked to see it.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

@Stockjock I personally have no major issue with that although I would not claim a discount I was not entitled to. However I will claim every ex-military and Health Service discount that is going, and will go via a cashback site if they are not available. I also play Amex cards for airline points so that I can turn Left rather than Right. All honest stuff and moneysaving sense.

My military friends who are now senior officers and have served in war torn areas can scoff at me claiming a military discount for the few years I did in the eighties. However it is available. I did not earn much and had a fair amount of inconvenience in those few years. 

I have have no anticipation of getting into a heaven. 

Thank you for your service.🤝

You are a veteran, no matter the war or conflict, no matter the country, branch of service or the length of time you served your country. You walked the walk and any discount no matter the business, you have the choice to take or leave the benefit. Even my drivers license has Veteran printed on it and a lot of business that offer the military/veteran discount request proof before applying the discount to the purchase.  Those that lie or hide behind some other reason and try to get a military discount, no matter the business is insulting everyone that has ever served in the military. Like I've said before, it's more about the thank you than the few dollars. But there are obviously those that will never understand that and especially if they never stood on the line. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

That is not correct. The TA can get you the Military Discount. They will tell you to bring your DD214 to the port with you to prove eligibility. They may or may not actually asked to see it.

Agree. I always keep a copy of my DD214 (SSN number blocked out) with my passport. 

Do you have to carry your DD214, or will your state drivers license with the Veteran designation be sufficient for proving qualification for the military discount?   I had to submit/show my DD214 for the MVA/DMV to be able to get my license to show veteran. 

Edited by dreams_of_travel

18 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Do you have to carry your DD214, or will your state drivers license with the Veteran designation be sufficient for proving qualification for the military discount?   I had to submit/show my DD214 for the MVA/DMV to be able to get my license to show veteran. 

You know that, but there are people at the desk that have no clue. Best to have it and not need it the need it and not have it. I lost me DR license in a state. The license agent said a passport was not adequate identification....

Edited by Keys Kathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Burn a copy of your DD214, black out the SSN and put it with your passport. As @Keys Kathy said better to have it and not need it. I've never had to show mine at the time of booking or at the embarkation center, but...

On 1/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, davekathy said:

Thanks for the updated info. Good to know. Our last Princess cruise was in 2010. My military/veterans discount still showed for our Princess cruises prior to 2010. 

My husband's military designation has shown on every Princess booking (whether direct or with a TA) since we provided it several years ago.  Of course, always check the booking confirm to assure it shows the OBC.  As an aside, Princess has disappointed us on several levels recently, so moved back to Celebrity for last 3 cruises since restart.  

3 hours ago, happycruiserco said:

My husband's military designation has shown on every Princess booking (whether direct or with a TA) since we provided it several years ago.  Of course, always check the booking confirm to assure it shows the OBC.  As an aside, Princess has disappointed us on several levels recently, so moved back to Celebrity for last 3 cruises since restart.  

With Celebrity, it is not OBC, but taken right off the price. In my opinion, that has more value.