Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

With 47 cruises over as many years, we have managed to bypass cruise-line arranged air. And this is for all the reasons that have been mentioned above.

We play the points game by having numerous credit cards that allow us to accumulate enough mileage in a year to typically have two or more round-trip international business class flights for both of us. The trick is to charge every single thing on a credit card. Yes, the premium cards can be pricey, but the rewards far outweigh the annual fees. And if you own your own business, or are self-employed, and use the cards for business expenses, these fees are tax deductible.

Some credit cards give you five points per dollar for airfare. Some five points per dollar for cellular and cable companies, as well as office supply stores where you can purchase gift cards for other online and brick and mortar retailers. Other cards give you four points for groceries and restaurants. Still other provide three points for any travel-related expense including taxis, tolls and parking, among others. Then there are cards that give you 1.5 to 2 points for everything else, such as insurance.

Of course, you have to be able to pay your bill in full each month. Otherwise, the finance charges will far outweigh the savings. Since I most likely not permitted to mention where I learned all these methods, just google in one search individual words like "the", and "points", and "guy."

Edited by emileg
  • Like 4

Look as if we will add a couple of days in BA. As we are passed the 75 days for "flight adjustments" I hope Viking will be amenable and not charge us for a flight change. I think this will be our last Viking Cruise as we tend to arrange our own vacations, plus the food is not that good.

1 hour ago, greyarea53 said:

Look as if we will add a couple of days in BA. As we are passed the 75 days for "flight adjustments" I hope Viking will be amenable and not charge us for a flight change. I think this will be our last Viking Cruise as we tend to arrange our own vacations, plus the food is not that good.

If you have been ticketed, maybe Viking Air will make your change for free??  Good luck!

16 hours ago, emileg said:

With 47 cruises over as many years, we have managed to bypass cruise-line arranged air. And this is for all the reasons that have been mentioned above.

We play the points game by having numerous credit cards that allow us to accumulate enough mileage in a year to typically have two or more round-trip international business class flights for both of us. The trick is to charge every single thing on a credit card. Yes, the premium cards can be pricey, but the rewards far outweigh the annual fees. And if you own your own business, or are self-employed, and use the cards for business expenses, these fees are tax deductible.

Some credit cards give you five points per dollar for airfare. Some five points per dollar for cellular and cable companies, as well as office supply stores where you can purchase gift cards for other online and brick and mortar retailers. Other cards give you four points for groceries and restaurants. Still other provide three points for any travel-related expense including taxis, tolls and parking, among others. Then there are cards that give you 1.5 to 2 points for everything else, such as insurance.

Of course, you have to be able to pay your bill in full each month. Otherwise, the finance charges will far outweigh the savings. Since I most likely not permitted to mention where I learned all these methods, just google in one search individual words like "the", and "points", and "guy."

I always arrange our air using miles but because I stupidly booked the October Octantis cruise “late” (in April) after Polaris was cancelled, good award flights were gone and since Viking emailed that business class air was included we went with it. What a mistake. 🤦‍♀️

We are disembarking the Octantis (Antarctic Explorer Jan 17-29) and noticed that our disembarkation begins at 12:00 am on the 29th. Will they be sending folks off at midnight for the charter back to Buenos Aires?  Our guest statement says not to make air arrangements before 5:00 am. Does anyone know if there will be multiple charters?  We are spending extra time in Buenos Aires after the cruise so won’t be flying out to the US that day, but I’m certainly hoping we don’t have to disembark at midnight in Ushuaia!  

On 8/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, Australia08 said:

We are disembarking the Octantis (Antarctic Explorer Jan 17-29) and noticed that our disembarkation begins at 12:00 am on the 29th. Will they be sending folks off at midnight for the charter back to Buenos Aires?  Our guest statement says not to make air arrangements before 5:00 am. Does anyone know if there will be multiple charters?  We are spending extra time in Buenos Aires after the cruise so won’t be flying out to the US that day, but I’m certainly hoping we don’t have to disembark at midnight in Ushuaia!  

Fortunately, they are not disembarking at midnight. This error has existed for over a year. Ignore it.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Australia08 said:

Thank heavens. Any idea when disembarkation does take place?

From what I understand from those who have were on the Antarctic expeditions on the Octantis, disembarkation is after breakfast, just as with any other cruise line. That allows time for the crew to clean the ship and get it ready for the next passengers. Since the charters were to and from Miami for the first Antarctic season of the Octantis, passengers were provided with a very nice tour and then dropped off at the airport for red-eye flights to Miami.

Hopefully, with this upcoming season, the charter flights will leave from and return to Buenos Aires. I would have no idea what times those charters will leave, but the best guess is in the morning so that people can catch their evening flights home leaving from Buenos Aires.

My wife and I (both 70) are considering an expedition cruise to Antartica. We are most concerned about the horrors we have heard of the Drake passage. Is there a better time to go when the seas are more calm. Also, both of us have mild balance issues are wondering if getting in and out of the boats will be a problem for us.

4 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

My wife and I (both 70) are considering an expedition cruise to Antartica. We are most concerned about the horrors we have heard of the Drake passage. Is there a better time to go when the seas are more calm. Also, both of us have mild balance issues are wondering if getting in and out of the boats will be a problem for us.

While the cruises run in the southern summer, there are really no 'better times' for weather - it will always be a crap shoot. The Southern Ocean is the most violent and unpredictable body of water in the world. A quick look at a globe will show why - there is absolutely no land to get in the way of the prevailing westerlies.

We were on a  2013 HAL trip scheduled to round Cape Horn. We missed Punta Arenas, Ushuaia and Cape Horn - weather buoys off the cape were recording 75+ knots and 45 foot seas. We were forced to stay totally inside the inner channels - sheltered, but still blowing 60 knots and no Cape Horn 🤬.

Others have posted that the chance of actually getting into the Falklands is about 50%. Conversely, you can find numerous accounts of SA / Antarctic cruises where the weather was totally benign.

For a full Antarctic cruise, I think you'd have to be very unlucky to lose it all (they seem to be 10 - 15 days), but I also think there's a significant risk of rerouting,  interruptions or very heavy weather.

I'd be less concerned about minor balance issues - the crew is highly skilled at assisting pax when boarding tenders or zodiacs. I also believe that the expedition ships launch their special ops boats from inside the ship itself.

Despite our unfortunate experience, we'd love to try again - waiting for a Viking WC that goes south of both capes -  the Holy Grail for small boat sailors!  🍺🥌

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

While the cruises run in the southern summer, there are really no 'better times' for weather - it will always be a crap shoot. The Southern Ocean is the most violent and unpredictable body of water in the world. A quick look at a globe will show why - there is absolutely no land to get in the way of the prevailing westerlies.

We were on a  2013 HAL trip scheduled to round Cape Horn. We missed Punta Arenas, Ushuaia and Cape Horn - weather buoys off the cape were recording 75+ knots and 45 foot seas. We were forced to stay totally inside the inner channels - sheltered, but still blowing 60 knots and no Cape Horn 🤬.

Others have posted that the chance of actually getting into the Falklands is about 50%. Conversely, you can find numerous accounts of SA / Antarctic cruises where the weather was totally benign.

For a full Antarctic cruise, I think you'd have to be very unlucky to lose it all (they seem to be 10 - 15 days), but I also think there's a significant risk of rerouting,  interruptions or very heavy weather.

I'd be less concerned about minor balance issues - the crew is highly skilled at assisting pax when boarding tenders or zodiacs. I also believe that the expedition ships launch their special ops boats from inside the ship itself.

Despite our unfortunate experience, we'd love to try again - waiting for a Viking WC that goes south of both capes -  the Holy Grail for small boat sailors!  🍺🥌

Thank you. Very helpful. While we had to cross the Galapagos off our bucket list this one sounds great.

I just read that Viking runs a Galapagos extension after all but giving up the idea of touring the Galapagos. My wife and I both have slight balance issues and were advised by a Celebrity representative that the trek through the islands and getting in an out of the inflatable boats might be too treacherous as the guide and staff do not offer much support. I was wondering if Viking being Viking might offer more, and make it a possibility for my wife and I.

8 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

I just read that Viking runs a Galapagos extension after all but giving up the idea of touring the Galapagos. My wife and I both have slight balance issues and were advised by a Celebrity representative that the trek through the islands and getting in an out of the inflatable boats might be too treacherous as the guide and staff do not offer much support. I was wondering if Viking being Viking might offer more, and make it a possibility for my wife and I.

We took a Celebrity expedition cruise through the Galapagos. While I didn't have balance issues, I did have ankle problems. There is usually an easy tour and a difficult tour to choose from at each landing. On some excursions, you just stay on the dingy and have great views from there.

I chose the more challenging tours and the crew could not have been more helpful. They made absolutely sure that I could meet any challenge I wished to. Sometimes two or three people would help me traverse the rocks getting from the Zodiacs to land, as well as steep inclines. There was always plenty of assistance getting in and out of the Zodiacs.  Cruise employees land side often have no idea what it is like on these expeditions. Best wishes.

Edited by emileg

I have to agree with EmileG. I thought the guides and crew in the Galapagos with Celebrity were outstanding. They did a better job on the zodiac than what was done on my Viking Octantis, where things were actually a tad more laid back.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 2:20 AM, eddieg07410 said:

Thank you. Very helpful. While we had to cross the Galapagos off our bucket list this one sounds great.

My DH and I are both in our 70s, We recently took our 2nd trip to the Galapagos. He has a very bad knee, our companions are both challenged by uneven terrain. Celebrity will do everything in their power to make sure you access the activities to the fullest. We had a 90 year old lady on our first trip and they customized experiences around her ability. 

It's a shame you believe the Galapagos is not a possibility for you, You are missing out on the trip of a lifetime.

• Like 1

you folks may find this amusing but for those of you who’ve done or will be doing Antarctica - I have a question from my Viking TA. When are you asked to provide the sizes for your boots, jackets, and pants? How close to sailing? And yes - I'm amazed this info isn't provided to her.  Thanks!

Hi - I'm considering 2023 Polaris Chilean Fjords cruise and wonder if folks that have been booked in the "N" category rooms were able to get seats on the Special Operations Boat and Zodiacs ?

I assume higher room categories get first choice but would not want to miss out experiencing them..

I'm open to any other advice from prior Expedition travelers...

Thanks

We're booked on the Octantis leaving 12/26/22 and "HAD" the Parana Delta pre-trip extension booked as well. Viking has cancelled that particular pre-trip extension without explanation or a replacement. They just stated in the automated email that it no longer meets the standards. The Easter Island extension is sold out so now we're considering flying into Buenos Aires a few days early to tour the city on our own.

Is anyone else flying in early? 

5 hours ago, CharTrav said:

you folks may find this amusing but for those of you who’ve done or will be doing Antarctica - I have a question from my Viking TA. When are you asked to provide the sizes for your boots, jackets, and pants? How close to sailing? And yes - I'm amazed this info isn't provided to her.  Thanks!

As I recall, about two months prior to sailing you get email with the link to place the orders for boots and clothing. However, as we booked directly through Viking, I am uncertain whether Viking will email you directly or through your travel agent. 

4 hours ago, Pmctexas said:

Hi - I'm considering 2023 Polaris Chilean Fjords cruise and wonder if folks that have been booked in the "N" category rooms were able to get seats on the Special Operations Boat and Zodiacs ?

I assume higher room categories get first choice but would not want to miss out experiencing them..

I'm open to any other advice from prior Expedition travelers...

Thanks

Although we were unable to sail due to a positive covid test, I follow another thread about Viking expedition cruises on a popular social media site. People who were actually on the Antarctica expeditions said that there is no advance sign up for excursions as they may never know  where the ship will be. Even though people in higher cabin categories got first dibs, everyone got to do everything they wanted. How it would be on a fixed Chilean cruise, I have no idea.

28 minutes ago, emileg said:

As I recall, about two months prior to sailing you get email with the link to place the orders for boots and clothing. However, as we booked directly through Viking, I am uncertain whether Viking will email you directly or through your travel agent. 

That's just what I need. As I said she's a Viking TA - she works for Viking. Which is why I said this is amusing. Thanks!

On 9/6/2022 at 12:48 PM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

We're booked on the Octantis leaving 12/26/22 and "HAD" the Parana Delta pre-trip extension booked as well. Viking has cancelled that particular pre-trip extension without explanation or a replacement. They just stated in the automated email that it no longer meets the standards. The Easter Island extension is sold out so now we're considering flying into Buenos Aires a few days early to tour the city on our own.

Is anyone else flying in early? 

We are booked on Octantis Jan 17-29. We had the Easter Island Pre-excursion booked and several weeks ago we received the email that said it was cancelled. I noticed on MVJ that it still indicates sold out but it has been deleted from our schedule. We are disappointed too. I wonder if they cancelled all their pre-excursions?

On 9/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, Australia08 said:

We are booked on Octantis Jan 17-29. We had the Easter Island Pre-excursion booked and several weeks ago we received the email that said it was cancelled. I noticed on MVJ that it still indicates sold out but it has been deleted from our schedule. We are disappointed too. I wonder if they cancelled all their pre-excursions?

Ohhh so that is true!! I was on the Sky last week and JoJo, the Viking Future Cruise Agent, said that Viking cancelled the Easter Island Pre-trip as well as the Parana Delta. Huh...I wonder why???🤷🏼‍♀️