Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

And here's the link for those that don't (or like me, cannot) get the hard copy

On a Viking cruise of the Great Lakes, comfort and adventure sail with science — and submarines (startribune.com)

We booked on the Great Lakes Collection on Viking Polaris next year under the naïve impression it'd be like a river cruise.

I can't see us kayaking or doing anything much more adventurous than trying a wine new to us at dinner. I think we have paid for a a shed load of activities we will not be using......

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pontac said:

And here's the link for those that don't (or like me, cannot) get the hard copy

On a Viking cruise of the Great Lakes, comfort and adventure sail with science — and submarines (startribune.com)

We booked on the Great Lakes Collection on Viking Polaris next year under the naïve impression it'd be like a river cruise.

I can't see us kayaking or doing anything much more adventurous than trying a wine new to us at dinner. I think we have paid for a a shed load of activities we will not be using......

Thank you for providing the link in your post. What I liked   in his review is you can sleep with the window open, listening  to the sounds of the night  on a Great Lake. Also all the science researchers on board, their reports  sound very interesting. 

Bring  binoculars and  look for wildlife  on your cruise. The  night sky in the middle of the Lake must be spectacular. I know it was when we had gone camping along the North Shore of Lake Superior for many years. 

Hope you report back on your cruise on the new Polaris. These ships are  small and wonderful  according to the  review. Enjoy!

• Like 1

We have spent most of our summers for the last 40 years sailing in the Great Lakes....no they are not the Chilean or Norwegian fjords  and i ( but yes for my husband) have not seen the the Northern lights..but sky is brilliant, blueberries from the bush taste like pie, pine scent and call of the loons is VERY special. Not sure how it is experienced onboard a ship but I do hope you all enjoy our GREAT LAKES.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, deec said:

We have spent most of our summers for the last 40 years sailing in the Great Lakes....no they are not the Chilean or Norwegian fjords  and i ( but yes for my husband) have not seen the the Northern lights..but sky is brilliant, blueberries from the bush taste like pie, pine scent and call of the loons is VERY special. Not sure how it is experienced onboard a ship but I do hope you all enjoy our GREAT LAKES.

Just curious if you don't mind answering - what type of boat(s) and would you happen to sail out of GPYC or BYC? Thanks ... 🍺🥌

On 8/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Azulann said:

Thank you for providing the link in your post. What I liked   in his review is you can sleep with the window open, listening  to the sounds of the night  on a Great Lake. Also all the science researchers on board, their reports  sound very interesting. 

Bring  binoculars and  look for wildlife  on your cruise. The  night sky in the middle of the Lake must be spectacular. I know it was when we had gone camping along the North Shore of Lake Superior for many years. 

Hope you report back on your cruise on the new Polaris. These ships are  small and wonderful  according to the  review. Enjoy!

Yes you can sleep with the window open...it is delightful under the right conditions!  If you have your lights on however, you will find that every flying insect on the Great Lakes will be joining you in your room.  The other thing is that some nights get a little chilly and if it is opened very wide it gets quite chilly because quite a breeze comes through the window.  We left ours cracked open so we could hear the sound of the water and not get too cold.  FYI ...The heat and cooling in the room automatically turns off when you open the window. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, deec said:

The wild blueberry pie is mankind's greatest invention.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

The wild blueberry pie is mankind's greatest invention.

Just disembarked from the Octantis last Saturday (8/13). It was marvelous! The Zodiacs, Submarines & Speedboat were all used in Canada. Lots of Kayaking available. My husband & I did kayaking for the first time , on Lake Superior. It was fun. Arms were sore but I’d do it again. He did the submarine. The excursions to Copper Mine in Houghton & to farms in Bayfield we’re great. Did lots of hiking in Thunder Bay. Mackinac Island was very quaint & relaxing. They launched a weather balloon one early morning, with results reported to US Weather Bureau. Terrific brilliant young crew who are scientists gave lectures. There were 335 passengers & 265 crew. Crew was so attentive!! Food was delicious ( first rate). What really helped was the perfect weather -no rain & temps in the 70’s. Highly recommend. By the way I am 70  husband is 72.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, missjulia1 said:

Just disembarked from the Octantis last Saturday (8/13). It was marvelous! The Zodiacs, Submarines & Speedboat were all used in Canada. Lots of Kayaking available. My husband & I did kayaking for the first time , on Lake Superior. It was fun. Arms were sore but I’d do it again. He did the submarine. The excursions to Copper Mine in Houghton & to farms in Bayfield we’re great. Did lots of hiking in Thunder Bay. Mackinac Island was very quaint & relaxing. They launched a weather balloon one early morning, with results reported to US Weather Bureau. Terrific brilliant young crew who are scientists gave lectures. There were 335 passengers & 265 crew. Crew was so attentive!! Food was delicious ( first rate). What really helped was the perfect weather -no rain & temps in the 70’s. Highly recommend. By the way I am 70  husband is 72.

What cabin category did you have?  Did that affect your ability to get the excursions you wanted?

13 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Any info on the status of Viking Polaris?  We were originally scheduled to sail to the Arctic on August 28, 2022 but the cruise was cancelled.  Ship not yet completed, supply chain issues.   

The Polaris returned to the shipyard after sea trials on July 2nd, continuing with final fitting out. Since it is built in Norway, it shows as Norwegian Flag, so we won't see the Flag change as she is transferred to owners.

She is scheduled to depart from Amsterdam on Sept 29th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The Polaris returned to the shipyard after sea trials on July 2nd, continuing with final fitting out. Since it is built in Norway, it shows as Norwegian Flag, so we won't see the Flag change as she is transferred to owners.

She is scheduled to depart from Amsterdam on Sept 29th.

Thank you for the update!

• Like 2

That Amsterdam to Antartica sailing is quite a good deal. Wish we had of seen it earlier as we just might have tried to go…but figure we need a while to get back in shape enough for Antartica. Winning that big lottery a few weeks would have helped also!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That Amsterdam to Antartica sailing is quite a good deal. Wish we had of seen it earlier as we just might have tried to go…but figure we need a while to get back in shape enough for Antartica. Winning that big lottery a few weeks would have helped also!

Clay, in the time it takes to get from Amsterdam to Ushuaia, there’s enough time to get into shape!

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Good point but me thinks it would take more than 26 days to really be in shape. 

Haha!! Clay - you need to enjoy more lamb chops and less pistachio rolls during the 26 days.😁

• Like 1

My wife and I just booked the Antarctic Explorer expedition on the Polaris leaving on the 22nd of October.  We were in Usuaia during Christmas of 2019 when we did the South America and Chilean Fords cruise on the Jupiter.  We decided then that we needed to go further south.  This one will check another box on our travel list as it will make the seventh continent we have visited.  Really looking forward to making new friends and seeing new places on this one.

I have been away from this thread for some time since one of us tested Covid positive in Miami and we were not permitted to sail on the Octantis. We were very disappointed and got turned off on Antarctica.

All that changed when we learned about the new 18-day itinerary that includes South Georgia Island and the Falklands, but two fewer days in Antarctica. Since there was a promotion of $25 per person deposit, it seemed like a no-brainer to book it. We are once again excited about taking an expedition on Viking.

As the OP, I am glad to be back.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, emileg said:

All that changed when we learned about the new 18-day itinerary that includes South Georgia Island and the Falklands, but two fewer days in Antarctica.

I saw that one too!!  I really want to see both South Georgia Island and the Falklands, so that itinerary interests me alot!  I'm nervous about sailing through Drake's Passage though.  I have a tendency to get seasick!

We would be finishing up our Arctic adventure on the Polaris in a few days.  We were disappointed that one was cancelled.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, foser22 said:

I saw that one too!!  I really want to see both South Georgia Island and the Falklands, so that itinerary interests me alot!  I'm nervous about sailing through Drake's Passage though.  I have a tendency to get seasick!

We would be finishing up our Arctic adventure on the Polaris in a few days.  We were disappointed that one was cancelled.

It is a great itinerary. I started a roll call for the January 31,3024 cruise.

Your concern about mal de mar is warranted. I have heard from those who were on the Octantis earlier this year that the stabilizers worked well. Can’t hurt to take some meclazine as a precaution.

It’s a bummer your cruise was canceled. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, foser22 said:

I really want to see both South Georgia Island and the Falklands, so that itinerary interests me a lot!  I'm nervous about sailing through Drake's Passage though.  I have a tendency to get seasick!

This would be a fabulous experience, but if you are prone to seasickness, I encourage you to do some detailed research before you commit. The Southern Ocean is the home of the most unpredictable and violent weather on the planet - a quick look at a globe will explain why - there is absolutely nothing to get in the way of the winds circling the earth in those latitudes!

It is also not uncommon for ships to have to miss the Falkland or South Georgia Islands due to adverse weather, so that should figure into your considerations.

I'm not trying to be negative - there are many folks who have enjoyed wonderful trips below latitude 50 south, but a realistic assessment will be key to your enjoyment. FWIW, we lost our look at Cape Horn some years ago for weather reasons, but I'd still try again - just with full knowledge that it might not work out! Enjoy. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I'm not trying to be negative - there are many folks who have enjoyed wonderful trips below latitude 50 south, but a realistic assessment will be key to your enjoyment.

You're not negative, but totally realistic.....This is exactly why we haven't booked anything.  I've looked at tons of options in that area and unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's not for me.  I've looked at tours that fly to South Georgia, but like you said, they miss it a lot due to weather.  As much as I'd love to go, I'd rather not be miserable.   We have a bucket list a mile long, so we'll find something:--)

• Like 3

We disembark in Ushuaia 11/22/22 and I was unable to ascertain at what time with Viking rep. The flight to Buenos Aries is a charter flight. It takes 3.5 hrs to BA and our return flight is 11.30pm. We were considering a night in BA as we could expect 6+ hours in the BA airport which we are not prepared to experience. Has anyone any knowledge as to when the charter flight leaves Ushuaia as it seems Viking has a special secret office that arranges the charter flights and tells no one. 

1 hour ago, greyarea53 said:

We disembark in Ushuaia 11/22/22 and I was unable to ascertain at what time with Viking rep. The flight to Buenos Aries is a charter flight. It takes 3.5 hrs to BA and our return flight is 11.30pm. We were considering a night in BA as we could expect 6+ hours in the BA airport which we are not prepared to experience. Has anyone any knowledge as to when the charter flight leaves Ushuaia as it seems Viking has a special secret office that arranges the charter flights and tells no one. 

I'm so "done" with Viking and its super secret info (and other frustrations).  Seriously.  We're on this same cruise (10/13/22-11/22/22) and getting info is like pulling teeth.  After spending 115 days total on Viking ships, this will be our last Viking booking. It's just too irritating. Here's hoping this is a good experience once we're ON Octantis. 

For what it's worth, our flight from EZE is at 10:05PM and the Viking Air rep told me the instructions specified that any flight from EZE after 10AM would work! I made sure to clarify/repeat "AM" and "PM" and she was adamant that a flight from EZE after 10AM was allowed for this itinerary.

8 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

I'm so "done" with Viking and its super secret info (and other frustrations).  Seriously.  We're on this same cruise (10/13/22-11/22/22) and getting info is like pulling teeth.  After spending 115 days total on Viking ships, this will be our last Viking booking. It's just too irritating. Here's hoping this is a good experience once we're ON Octantis. 

For what it's worth, our flight from EZE is at 10:05PM and the Viking Air rep told me the instructions specified that any flight from EZE after 10AM would work! I made sure to clarify/repeat "AM" and "PM" and she was adamant that a flight from EZE after 10AM was allowed for this itinerary.

Last Winter, we experienced the same issues and finally, in exasperation, booked additional days in BA just to be sure. We ended up canceling due to Omicron and our aversion to an Argentinian quarantine, plus the details that emerged about the pecking order for excursions that not only went by cabin class (okay, we get that about Viking) but also by some pax being “more equal” than others. We’re blowing the vouchers on a Japan trip next year (we hope), booked Antarctica with Nat Geo and will finish up our business with Viking after Japan.

We’ve tried and tried, there are many things we like about Viking, but the accumulated negatives have beaten us into the ground. Please, oh please, let Japan be open by next year. . .

I hope you have a wonderful trip despite the Big V jerking you around. We feel and know your pain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harrietq said:

Last Winter, we experienced the same issues and finally, in exasperation, booked additional days in BA just to be sure. We ended up canceling due to Omicron and our aversion to an Argentinian quarantine, plus the details that emerged about the pecking order for excursions that not only went by cabin class (okay, we get that about Viking) but also by some pax being “more equal” than others. We’re blowing the vouchers on a Japan trip next year (we hope), booked Antarctica with Nat Geo and will finish up our business with Viking after Japan.

We’ve tried and tried, there are many things we like about Viking, but the accumulated negatives have beaten us into the ground. Please, oh please, let Japan be open by next year. . .

I hope you have a wonderful trip despite the Big V jerking you around. We feel and know your pain.

It’s our own fault. Well, mine since I told my husband we were going!  The Arctic to Antarctica itinerary was going to be great and when that was cancelled in April I immediately jumped on this one. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

Our two other Viking experiences have been less than stellar so like I said, I should have known. 

I should have just taken the Polaris cash refund but instead I used that money (not FCC) to book this cruise. 🤦‍♀️

We are supposed to be business class and have it in writing but Viking is saying only economy class is available from BA to the US. NEVER AGAIN. We’ll see if we’re on the Octantis in October.