Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

On 10/19/2021 at 1:16 AM, novafish said:

We (Sarah and Bruce) are on 4 FEB 22 Octantis cruise to Antarctica. We just had a ZOOM consultation with an experienced Argentine tour guide about how to maximize our experience.  We have decided to: 1) start with arriving in Buenos Aires one day early (perhaps to get oriented to the tourist parts of the city), then 2) take the Antarctica cruise, followed by 3) a few days in Buenos Aires, including day trips (such as Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay and the Tigre Delta), then 4) a visit to Iguazu to see the falls from both the Argentine and Brazil sides, finally 5)returning to BA for perhaps a day, before flying home. We will probably use private guided tours because we are older and slower, relying on a car and driver, as well as the BA subway. 

Very energized to both get on a ship and see Antarctica! Everything else we had planned has either been canceled or postponed due to the pandemic!

Welcome!  It sounds like you have an excellent plan after the cruise. Be sure to cover the barrios of Recoleta (especially the cemetery where Eva Peron is for time immemorial) and San Telmo (where the tango originated) while in Buenos Aires. It is worth a trip to south America is you only did Iguazu!  We are returning for our third visit to Buenos Aires. We can't get enough of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Call from Viking today-- The Dining Room is a reservations only venue as is Manfredi's on Viking Expedition class ships.  This isn't a COVID thing, but a "feature" for this class of ships.  Our cabin class puts us at the bottom of the list.  Be interesting to see how this works out.  

8 minutes ago, eylarson said:

Call from Viking today-- The Dining Room is a reservations only venue as is Manfredi's on Viking Expedition class ships.  This isn't a COVID thing, but a "feature" for this class of ships.  Our cabin class puts us at the bottom of the list.  Be interesting to see how this works out.  

Same for us.....we're at the bottom of the list, but most people say you don't have to worry.  I'm hoping that's the case for us also.

1 hour ago, eylarson said:

First of all . reservations for the MDR is not  a feature of the VE ships; it applies to the VO ships too. We have a VO trip scheduled next year.  When we booked it last year using our FCVs, the Guest Statement issued then only showed a Specialty Dining Reservation date but when I got an updated copy of it last May , it added a date for reserving the MDR, a date that is about a month before the specialty dining date.

Second of all, the date for reserving the MDR on VE ships is way way earlier than the date to reserve Manfredi's.  At least it is for us.  Check out your MVJ -- Onboard Experience/Dining & Beverages -- where it provides the date when dining reservations can be made.  In our case, that date is a full 3 months before the date given in our Guest Statement for reserving Manfredi's.  So, @foser22, you may be pleasantly surprised -- that you won't be at the bottom of the heap because I think the MDR date is NOT tied to your cabin class at all.  It's the same for everybody.  I may be wrong .. but ..

3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

@foser22, you may be pleasantly surprised -- that you won't be at the bottom of the heap because I think the MDR date is NOT tied to your cabin class at all.  It's the same for everybody.  I may be wrong .. but ..

Thanks for the clarifaction!  I'm honestly not too worried about it....I'm sure we won't starve, but it would be fun to try the specialty restaurant.  We've never done VO, we usually sail with Oceania, so I understand the system.  We're really looking forward to this cruise!!

11 hours ago, foser22 said:

Thanks for the clarifaction!  I'm honestly not too worried about it....I'm sure we won't starve, but it would be fun to try the specialty restaurant.  We've never done VO, we usually sail with Oceania, so I understand the system.  We're really looking forward to this cruise!!

I swear - I reply to stuff and I think I've saved it and then I find it's not. Lost into the ether. But anyway - what I wrote last night was that my earlier post was in error. I have 4 active bookings - 3 with VO and 1 with VE.  I thought I was looking at the MVJ for our VE next year but it was for a VO next May. Bottom line - you're right - the date to reserve MDR and Manfredi's on VE ships is the same. The earliest dates to reserve MDR and the Specialty Dining on VO ships are different: MDR is about a month before specialty dining. Sorry to have raised your hopes. 

Edited by CharTrav

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Bottom line - you're right - the date to reserve MDR and Manfredi's on VE ships is the same. The earliest dates to reserve MDR and the Specialty Dining on VO ships are different: MDR is about a month before specialty dining. Sorry to have raised your hopes. 

Best I can tell this is because it isn’t really an MDR in the traditional sense?  It looks to be the same size as Manfredi’s and will probably operate like the Chefs Table on VO, albeit with an MDR style menu. I’ve heard, and deck plans seem to confirm, that most of us will be eating our main meals in the World Cafe buffet, and The Dining Room and Manfred’s venues will both operate like the specialties on VO. 

17 minutes ago, amyr said:

Best I can tell this is because it isn’t really an MDR in the traditional sense?  It looks to be the same size as Manfredi’s and will probably operate like the Chefs Table on VO, albeit with an MDR style menu. I’ve heard, and deck plans seem to confirm, that most of us will be eating our main meals in the World Cafe buffet, and The Dining Room and Manfred’s venues will both operate like the specialties on VO. 

Sounds reasonable. Won't know for sure until next year when we board the Polaris! I keep waiting for news that the Polaris is under construction. 

Edited by CharTrav

For our January 12, 2022 expedition on the Octantis, MDR and Manfredi's opened up for us for reservations on MVJ. However, the system allowed only two reservations per restaurant for the entire voyage. I imagine the other days will be non-reserved, or perhaps more times will open at a later date. I signed in last night before our category time became official. Some nights only 8:30 or later at Manfredi's were available. I was not able to find any reservation at Manfredi's any earlier than 7:00 p.m. Our cabin category allows reservations 70 days prior.

BTW, still no assigned hotel in Buenos Aires is showing up on the invoice.

• Like 1

One apparent difference between Oceans and Expeditions offering which has not been widely discussed is that Expeditions list multiple included excursions at many ports. If I am I right in thinking that customers are free to choose any one of these in each port (subject to availability of course) this would seem to be a significant benefit.  

Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

One apparent difference between Oceans and Expeditions offering which has not been widely discussed is that Expeditions list multiple included excursions at many ports. If I am I right in thinking that customers are free to choose any one of these in each port (subject to availability of course) this would seem to be a significant benefit.  

Thoughts anyone?

yes it is a huge difference. and yes - all shore excursion offerings are included. On Arctic & Antarctic Expeditions selection is done after boarding. For Great Lakes Expeditions, excursions are reserved in advance based on cabin class. 

• Like 2

This has been a great thread.  My spouse and I are trying to decide between Seabourn and Viking for Antarctica 2023.  We like new ships and generally book a lower level category.  Unfortunately though, the discussion about priority dining booking is pointing me towards Seabourn.  I'm curious if anyone else considered Seabourn and chose Viking instead and if so why.  Thanks for posting the thread.

1 hour ago, stlrod said:

This has been a great thread.  My spouse and I are trying to decide between Seabourn and Viking for Antarctica 2023.  We like new ships and generally book a lower level category.  Unfortunately though, the discussion about priority dining booking is pointing me towards Seabourn.  I'm curious if anyone else considered Seabourn and chose Viking instead and if so why.  Thanks for posting the thread.

Although it wasn't specifically for Expedition Cruises, we considered all the luxury/premium brands when looking for a new cruise line.

Seabourn were eliminated, as based on our opinion & research they were too stuffy, ships are smaller than our preference and the pax comments on formal nights were not consistent with the company dress code.

Most importantly they are owned by Carnival Corp, who have decimated many previously excellent and proud cruise lines. Seabourn are part of the Holland America Group, with Carnival having decimated HAL, Princess, P&O and Cunard, so I have no doubt they will also gradually reduce the standards on Seabourn.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stlrod said:

Priority dining booking only matters before the cruise begins. Once you're onboard I don't think it  matters. Based on our experience on VO it's all by availability. I actually checked the FAQs to see if they cover that question - they don't. 🥲 Also - you don't have to worry about formal nights. The idea is foreign to the Viking ethos. They don't even care if you're wearing boots and jeans in the World Cafe after 6. I remember hiding in our cabin on formal nights when we sailed HAL many years ago and hating it. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Priority dining booking only matters before the cruise begins. Once you're onboard I don't think it  matters. Based on our experience on VO it's all by availability. I actually checked the FAQs to see if they cover that question - they don't. 🥲 Also - you don't have to worry about formal nights. The idea is foreign to the Viking ethos. They don't even care if you're wearing boots and jeans in the World Cafe after 6. I remember hiding in our cabin on formal nights when we sailed HAL many years ago and hating it. 

That’s ancient history in the evolution of dress codes on ships!

Plus, expedition ships are often frequented by a few guests who just wear their same clothes to dinner, that they wore during the day. That would never be my style, as I much prefer to shower for dinner … even if I put on the outfit I plan to wear the next DAY. Generally, though, I can see a difference in my day and evening attire, even if nobody else can!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stlrod said:

Have you looked at Crystal Endeavor? 

Fyi - I've been looking at my other three VO invoices that unlike my invoice for our  upcoming VE next Summer do provide the date for booking the Restaurant. From that it looks like it's 100 days before the sail date. Also, what I've learned from others who have been on VO cruises this Summer, is that the rule is you can reserve up to every day of the cruise minus the number of specialty dining reservations made. 

Edited by CharTrav

FYI -- for those who like to have a one page view of the features of each of the VE cabin classes .. I maintain a spreadsheet for this.  Actually covers all of Viking's ship classes -- VO, VR, and VE. Feel free to download from DropBox. Just updated it today based on updates at the VE site, as well as, my own inspection of the cabin diagrams provided and live chats I've had with Viking agents (re what's included in "alcoholic beverages" in the mini-fridge). -- No DropBox account required -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/immbfiw70gi4bkd/Viking Cabin Classes.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, CharTrav said:

On 11/7/2021 at 6:25 PM, May B said:

That’s ancient history in the evolution of dress codes on ships!

Plus, expedition ships are often frequented by a few guests who just wear their same clothes to dinner, that they wore during the day. That would never be my style, as I much prefer to shower for dinner … even if I put on the outfit I plan to wear the next DAY. Generally, though, I can see a difference in my day and evening attire, even if nobody else can!

You folks must have read my mind. I was just going to post the question as to whether anyone knows anything about how Viking would like passengers to dress in the evening, especially on the Antarctic voyages. We have done Viking River, but not Viking Ocean. Should a man at least bring a sports jacket or are there any special dress up nights? In any case, we are on the first cruise scheduled for January 12, and I will be able to provide feedback on dress that may help passengers on future sailings. Right now, we have no idea what to wear.

A little side story. We took Rovos Rail (a cruise on a train) from Cape Town to Victoria Falls. Every night was scheduled to be a formal night. The coaches looked right out of the film Orient Express. You were expected to dress up to play the part, so to speak. (No one was murdered!) HOWEVER, if the safari vehicles were late returning, you were instructed to come just as you are, and directly to dinner as there was only one seating that had to start on time, lest the food be cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emileg said:

You folks must have read my mind. I was just going to post the question as to whether anyone knows anything about how Viking would like passengers to dress in the evening, especially on the Antarctic voyages. We have done Viking River, but not Viking Ocean. Should a man at least bring a sports jacket or are there any special dress up nights? In any case, we are on the first cruise scheduled for January 12, and I will be able to provide feedback on dress that may help passengers on future sailings. Right now, we have no idea what to wear.

A little side story. We took Rovos Rail (a cruise on a train) from Cape Town to Victoria Falls. Every night was scheduled to be a formal night. The coaches looked right out of the film Orient Express. You were expected to dress up to play the part, so to speak. (No one was murdered!) HOWEVER, if the safari vehicles were late returning, you were instructed to come just as you are, and directly to dinner as there was only one seating that had to start on time, lest the food be cold.

No formal nights EVER! On River, Ocean, or Expedition. Check out the FAQs for each under Life on Board - what is the dress code? In the case of VE, it's

"During the day, dress is casual—slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes/boots that are appropriate for excursions/landing or enjoying the ship. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center and pool areas. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes the World Café, where the dress remains casual, including jeans and boots, after 6:00 PM."

The wording is similar for VO and VR. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2