Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

1 minute ago, Squawkman said:

We're not permitted to recommend TAs on the boards - I guess that also applies to specific Viking agents.

I have been using the same Viking agent for several years with complete satisfaction. Email me:  antrekk8 (at) gmail.com - I will email you back with his name and extension. Write "Viking Agent" in the subject line.

Technically, even exchanging emails for this purpose is not allowed, although it happens 🙂.

Am reading this thread, as Antartica is probably my biggest desire for a cruise right now.  We do have the Douro scheduled for May 2022 and Mississippi Sept 2022, and am thinking Antartica January 2023, so want to follow everyones posts prior to booking.  Also thinking about doing South America and the Chilean Fjords which is on the Viking Jupiter going from Santiago to Buenos Aires from 1/21/23 - 2/7/23, then the Antarctic Explorer that leaves Buenos Aires on 2/8/23.  Want to see both of those areas and this would save an additional flight. So a sort of B2B, but on different ships.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Viking keeps sending emails asking me to complete the Guest Information Form and asks me to go to My Vikings Journey to update it.  However, whenever I log in to complete the form, I see a notice: "Coming Soon. My Viking Journey is currently unavailable as we put the finishing touches on your voyage."

Anyone else having these issues?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, emileg said:

Viking keeps sending emails asking me to complete the Guest Information Form and asks me to go to My Vikings Journey to update it.  However, whenever I log in to complete the form, I see a notice: "Coming Soon. My Viking Journey is currently unavailable as we put the finishing touches on your voyage."

I have the same message when trying to log into My Viking Journey, but I am not getting emails.  Probably because our trip isn't scheduled until 01/23!

After watching the video message explaining new procedures that Viking will implement for future cruises, my DH is not happy with sailing with Viking.  Automated temperature checks in the hallways, mandatory daily covid testing, etc sounds pretty aggressive.  I guess we will have to see how it plays out when they are actually sailing again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, emileg said:

Yes.  But I asked our TA provide them with the info.  She sent us the paper version of the form, we filled it out, and she contacted Viking to have it added to our sailing.  The Viking person told her the site for Expedition cruises is not yet set up, but will be,  closer to the first sailing.

• Like 1

Seems a bit odd that I get that same message for an October 2022 Expedition sailing, but my April 2023 Orion sailing has all the usual info. I guess because it is a new style ship? I hope they get it set up a lot sooner than "closer to the first sailing."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gbldcl said:

Seems a bit odd that I get that same message for an October 2022 Expedition sailing, but my April 2023 Orion sailing has all the usual info. I guess because it is a new style ship? I hope they get it set up a lot sooner than "closer to the first sailing."

Yes, the site for the Expedition cruises is the part that is not yet functional.  It is functional for Ocean cruises.  We're on the same October cruise, so we, too, would like to get access at least by final payment due date 🤥

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

I have the same message when trying to log into My Viking Journey, but I am not getting emails.  Probably because our trip isn't scheduled until 01/23!

After watching the video message explaining new procedures that Viking will implement for future cruises, my DH is not happy with sailing with Viking.  Automated temperature checks in the hallways, mandatory daily covid testing, etc sounds pretty aggressive.  I guess we will have to see how it plays out when they are actually sailing again.

I haven't found the video.  Can you post a link?  What you are describing are the protocols that I read about for River cruises, but I didn't know that applied to Ocean and Expedition cruises.

But it may be quite different by 2022, if the ship requires vaccinations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I haven't found the video.  Can you post a link?  What you are describing are the protocols that I read about for River cruises, but I didn't know that applied to Ocean and Expedition cruises.

But it may be quite different by 2022, if the ship requires vaccinations.

It will apply to all Viking ships once they resume operations.  

• Like 1

Emile,

Sorry it took me so long to stumble over here after you so graciously invited me from my Great Lakes Roll Call but here I am and glad to read the far ranging discussion (hadn't yet heard about the potential of a 3rd covid shot as an example). Not surprisingly there isn't a whole lot of discussion on my roll call but the Great Lakes was the only real possibility for me to sail on the Octantis as I am strictly adverse to cold weather and the Lakes in June is as far as I am willing to go with Octantis sailings but we are signed up for Viking Venus and their "In search of the Northern Lights" cruise so who knows....? Anyway thanks again for staring this thread and I will be back.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, 2onboardagain said:

Emile,

Sorry it took me so long to stumble over here after you so graciously invited me from my Great Lakes Roll Call but here I am and glad to read the far ranging discussion (hadn't yet heard about the potential of a 3rd covid shot as an example). Not surprisingly there isn't a whole lot of discussion on my roll call but the Great Lakes was the only real possibility for me to sail on the Octantis as I am strictly adverse to cold weather and the Lakes in June is as far as I am willing to go with Octantis sailings but we are signed up for Viking Venus and their "In search of the Northern Lights" cruise so who knows....? Anyway thanks again for staring this thread and I will be back.

Nice to hear from you. From what I have heard from others, it is not as cold as one would imagine in Antarctica in its summer. Temperatures can reach to a high of about 60 F or 15 C in the peninsula where the ships explore. No guarantees, of course.

Edited by emileg

Last evening, Krys and I watched this video posted on viking.tv. It is certainly worthwhile for anyone taking or even considering the possibility of taking a Viking Expeditions journey. And, it is not just about the Arctic and Antarctica despite the title. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Delighted to see this thread! 
For those of you booked Great Lakes itineraries:

I’d love to know why you all selected the Great Lakes itinerary you booked. We will travel in late August-September, and I am still undecided which of the three itineraries I like better. The September Niagara and the Great Lakes was almost sold out, so I grabbed one of the remaining 4 cabins knowing there was no fee to change, and the other two (Undiscovered and Explorer) had more dates and wider availability.

Thanks, Anita
  • Like 1

We originally booked the Thunder Bay to Milwaukee cruise because we wanted to cruise Lake Superior and Id heard how beautiful Georgian Bay was. We also were going to spend time after the cruise in Milwaukee for a major jewelry show. But that was canceled so we started thinking of a different cruise and realized we could add the cruise out if Milwaukee to Toronto and cruise all the Great Lakes, and end up in beautiful Toronto after visiting the Niagara Falls. 

cruising through all the Great Lakes....an experience I don’t want to miss and something I’ve not seen as an option on any Line.

den

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We originally booked the Thunder Bay to Milwaukee cruise because we wanted to cruise Lake Superior and Id heard how beautiful Georgian Bay was. We also were going to spend time after the cruise in Milwaukee for a major jewelry show. But that was canceled so we started thinking of a different cruise and realized we could add the cruise out if Milwaukee to Toronto and cruise all the Great Lakes, and end up in beautiful Toronto after visiting the Niagara Falls. 

cruising through all the Great Lakes....an experience I don’t want to miss and something I’ve not seen as an option on any Line.

den

We aren't much for really cold weather cruising but have become fascinated with the "exploration ships" that several lines are introducing (we have booked a couple of short non-polar sailings to try the various lines out these next few years. Covid cancellations have extended that attempt farther beyond what we would have liked but anticipation is also part of the pleasure of cruising). Putting together a cruise through all Five Great Lakes was just too intriguing however I think you may have chosen more wisely than we did Den as your cruise winds up in "civilization" while we end in the "wilds" of Thunder Bay.

Agree with fascinating new exploration ships!  That and wanting to stay with passenger capacity under 500.  The Niagara route is less “exploration” with the urban focus, but it does traverse four of the lakes and hopefully offers some scenic coastline cruising. The Apostle Islands would be fantastic to see on the ‘Undiscovered,’ as well as Georgian Bay on the ‘Explorer’ route.  The back-to-back with all five lakes is the best idea, and one I’ll consider if our earlier ‘22 trips fall through.

• Like 1

My wife is from upstate NY and cruising to Antarctica was met with a ‘cold stare’. So the Great Lakes looked very intriguing. Either direction is going to be fun. We usually stay a few days where we start from and are ready to come hone after extended cruises, so ending in ‘the wilds’ of Ontario would work for us!

this should be a very unique itinerary but not quite as unique as Arctic / Antarctic. 

Den

• Like 1

I can relate to that "cold stare" you mentioned Den. Not only did I get it from my bride but I also actually saw it in the mirror when I was shaving as having retired to Florida it only took about a year for us to become really cold adverse. I couldn't decide on which of the Great Lakes I would be willing to miss so we indulged ourselves with the B2B which will give us lots of time to enjoy the ship and maybe, just maybe "warm up" to the idea of an Antarctic cruise???

• Like 1

Back to Back:   Great Lakes & Niagara Falls

We are booked to board in Thunder Bay on Sep 17, 2022 and depart the ship in Toronto on Oct 1, 2022.

I was trying to decide which cruise to take when I "discovered " we could do both itineraries. Problem solved! Just put final payment date on the calendar for September 2021.

Although these photos are from December 22, it shows the float-out of the Octantis. I would have posted them earlier, but honestly, I just came across them.

Viking Octantis - Credit: Viking

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below, notice the large window just to the right and above the anchor. According to the deck plan, it is called "The Hive."  Based on its location just forward of the crew cabins on deck 1, I imagine this may be the crew lounge.

VikingOctantisFloatOut.jpg

Edited by emileg

On 4/11/2021 at 9:23 PM, emileg said:

Below, notice the large window just to the right and above the anchor. According to the deck plan, it is called "The Hive."  Based on its location just forward of the crew cabins on deck 1, I imagine this may be the crew lounge.

You have spotted an interesting feature there and one that Viking seem to be keeping quiet about for the moment. I suspect that it may be one of the “surprises” that Tor Hagen said he had in store for us during his initial presentation about the Viking Explorer program. https://youtu.be/7Z4XNZYB5fU

First, just to correct your typo, that area is called “The Hide” and will certainly be for guests rather than the crew. You will note that only “public” areas are labelled on the deck plans. 

The following is completely speculation on my part, but I do wonder if this might be a nightclub area of some sort. There seems to be a close parallel in facilities between the ocean and expedition ships and this could be an equivalent to the Torshavn. I am imagining a piano bar for late night drinks, Viking have said that there will be one musician on the ships. Why have big windows in a night club you might be asking? Well, the areas in which the ships will be sailing most of the time have daylight almost 24/7 so enjoying a cocktail at midnight, while watching the world go by, would be a real treat! Only time will tell if my suspicion proves correct.

• Like 2

I got a email from Viking with a survey on what we would like to do for excursions in Antartica.  It was things like how experienced are you in kayaking... snow shoeing... do you want to camp out one night...It kind of made me think that Hey Antartica might Happen!!!!

• Like 1