CDC UPDATE

trbarton

58 minutes ago, nocl said:

There is also another test using a spit sample that data shows to be just as accurate as the nasal swab. Don't know why more places have not shifted to it.

I have not been able to find out if it involves just a simple spit or a more complex spit...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I have not been able to find out if it involves just a simple spit or a more complex spit...

My state (MN) has been using the saliva testing and even built their own labs to process the tests.

It takes about 10 minutes to fill the tube with spit.

We have several by appointment locations to do the spit test, but also have the option of doing it from home:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

My state (MN) has been using the saliva testing and even built their own labs to process the tests.

It takes about 10 minutes to fill the tube with spit.

We have several by appointment locations to do the spit test, but also have the option of doing it from home:

I think I prefer 30 seconds or so having my nostril swabbed than spending 30 minutes waiting in preparation then 10 minutes spitting.

Edited by brisalta

22 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I think I prefer 30 seconds or so having my nostril swabbed than spending 30 minutes waiting in preparation then 10 minutes spitting.

The ones I am familiar with you do not fill the tube. Just a spit in a tube and done.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

And how long does it take to get results back from the saliva test?

It is a PCR so the same time to process a nasal swab.  Depends upon facilities and capacity.  

The primary advantage is that anyone can collect a saliva sample and no contact is needed between collection staff and the person being tested.

On CNN this morning Dr. Fauci stated common sense says if you're vaccinated you will not need to follow as stringent public health measures as unvaccinated people.  He gave an example if you're vaccinated and your daughter who is also vaccinated came to visit, "in fact" you wouldn't need to be as stringent in your public health measures.  It will be interesting to see if CDC applies that concept to cruise ships where everyone onboard has been fully vaccinated.  He expects further guidance to come from the CDC very soon.

You can see his remarks from this morning at the following link.  His statements appear starting at 1:05 in the video imbedded in the article.

(2) Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and world news (cnn.com)

45 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

On CNN this morning Dr. Fauci stated common sense says if you're vaccinated you will not need to follow as stringent public health measures as unvaccinated people.  He gave an example if you're vaccinated and your daughter who is also vaccinated came to visit, "in fact" you wouldn't need to be as stringent in your public health measures.  It will be interesting to see if CDC applies that concept to cruise ships where everyone onboard has been fully vaccinated.  He expects further guidance to come from the CDC very soon.

You can see his remarks from this morning at the following link.  His statements appear starting at 1:05 in the video imbedded in the article.

(2) Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and world news (cnn.com)

In Israel, once you are vaccinated you are given a type of passport which permits greater access to restaurants, movie theaters and travel. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nocl said:

There have been some studies that are indicating that asymptomatic infection, as well as transmission, is also greatly reduced by the vaccines.  However, none of them are designed for or sufficient to get the label changed to include that reduction listed.

Some excellent work coming out of Israel.  They have fund the Pfizer vaccine to be over 95% effective, and in fact, significant effectiveness (over 80%) with individuals receiving only one dose.  In addition, they have found that once vaccinated individuals have a much lower rate, if at all, of transmission of the virus. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nocl said:

It is a PCR so the same time to process a nasal swab.  Depends upon facilities and capacity.  

The primary advantage is that anyone can collect a saliva sample and no contact is needed between collection staff and the person being tested.

So it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 weeks which many have experienced in the past.

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

So it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 weeks which many have experienced in the past.

probably not 15 minutes.  It usually takes longer than that to prepare and run a PCR sample.  the 15 minutes has usually applied to antigen tests.

3 hours ago, nocl said:

probably not 15 minutes.  It usually takes longer than that to prepare and run a PCR sample.  the 15 minutes has usually applied to antigen tests.

So you do not know if you can get the results within 72 hours of travel departure.

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

So you do not know if you can get the results within 72 hours of travel departure.

Depends upon the location and the lab.  You have to inquire in your area.

Clearly many locations are now doing PCR tests with relatively short turn arounds, 24 hours or less.

6 hours ago, nocl said:

When I had my Covid-19 PCR test done the results were posted about an hour after they had taken the sample by swabbing my sinuses. The sample had to be taken to another building a couple of blocks away where they run the PCR tests.