How far to kick the can (canceled cruises)?

BoozinCroozin

On 2/7/2021 at 3:55 AM, RWolver672 said:

When we found out that there was a possibility (which became truth) that you would have to wear masks, couldn't get off the ship without going through one of their excursions, might possibly be guaranteed in your cabin, we kicked the can into the ditch right then.  That's not cruising to us.  We won't even think about booking a cruise until this mess is over.  

From what I've read on here, if you paid with a CCL gift card and ask for a refund, it will be with a CCL gift card.

Our thoughts as well. We have a cruise booked end of may this year but already planning a land trip for same time period as may cancellations look more inevitable day by day and the cruise lines continue to be rather vague in their actions and efforts to return to cruising. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking we'll cancel our June cruise on the Mardi Gras and wait to rebook by Sept. I think that will give me some comfort in putting my money back in my pocket and enough time to see if cruising "successfully" resumes in the Fall. We were initially just going to move it again to June 2022,but the new option may make better sense for us. Because if nothing else and things go way left again, we won't be stuck with any penalties other than an OBC going POOF. 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:16 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

We originally had an RCL cruise that we kicked down the calendar 2 more times. After the 3rd, they have raised prices so high that we could no longer even think to rebook with them. We originally booked our then second cruise (before the first RCL cancelation) on Mardi Gras for July 2021. We booked our "new" second cruise on Magic over Thanksgiving 2021. My confidence that was once very high is extremely low for both of these cruises. 

My question is what people are doing for themselves and how willing are they to keep kicking that can down the road? I am about to put a deposit down on our next cruising window which is April 2022 (possibly our first cruise ever). That will be 3 deposits locked up and possible the 3rd would be on NCL.

Thought of a second question as well. If my two cruises on CCL are canceled (I would move the first deposit to the second cruise initially), is the gift card CCL gives only a CCL gift card or is it a general Visa type gift card?

Can't answer the gift card question because for our only cancelled cruise we received cash. As for the kicking the can question we kicked it until 2/22, figuring that life should be somewhat back to normal in the cruise world by then. Then one day I happened to be thinking (something I don't do often enough, according to DW) and I asked her if she wanted to book a reduced deposit short cruise to Bermuda in November. This was after the vaccines had been approved and were rolling out. She was agreeable so I started checking prices and found that we could do a 7 day Bermuda cruise for less than or equal to a 5 day on other lines so we booked Legend for mid-November. When we booked CCL was offering $500 OBC which sweetened the deal considerably. We both should have our vaccines by then and hopefully the sailing will go off as scheduled. We've only paid the reduced deposit and won't make any other payments until final payment date.

• Like 2

We didn't kick the can now, we just added another fully refundable. The deposit was low, so it was worth it to us. Our vacation windows are so small, we have to decide early on what to do. I only have about 6 total weeks during the year the family can vacation. We have a few weddings with specific dates currently that is making it difficult to schedule. We booked April for Spring Break. If our 2 cruises this year go, great. If not, we have an early 2022 cruise to look forward to. We will figure out late Summer at the end of this year.

After ours for September 2020 was cancelled, I rebooked for January 2022.  However I was still nervous about what cruising would look like a year from now especially since I doubt any cruises will happen until late Fall 2021.  So this morning made the decision to change to November 2022.  All my OBC and credits transferred and I just have to pay the price difference which is fine.  I figure by then, there will be widespread vaccinations and maybe things will resemble a normal cruise? 

20 hours ago, v3cruiser said:

Our thoughts as well. We have a cruise booked end of may this year but already planning a land trip for same time period as may cancellations look more inevitable day by day and the cruise lines continue to be rather vague in their actions and efforts to return to cruising. 

Go Cards!!

On 2/7/2021 at 4:55 AM, RWolver672 said:

When we found out that there was a possibility (which became truth) that you would have to wear masks, couldn't get off the ship without going through one of their excursions, might possibly be guaranteed in your cabin, we kicked the can into the ditch right then.  That's not cruising to us.  We won't even think about booking a cruise until this mess is over.  

From what I've read on here, if you paid with a CCL gift card and ask for a refund, it will be with a CCL gift card.

You might want to get accustomed to the new "Cruise" rules. We are living in a "New" world with new guidelines. No more "Normal" whatever that was. Even after the vaccinations (whenever our Nation finishes with all of us) we are still advised to wear those mask. Personally after the vaccinations are done the masks should be second nature. Aren't we used to them by now? Are we still calling it a "Hoax" . 

Carnival will cruise again. Have faith folks.    

On 2/16/2021 at 2:08 PM, jetsfan58 said:

You might want to get accustomed to the new "Cruise" rules. We are living in a "New" world with new guidelines. No more "Normal" whatever that was. Even after the vaccinations (whenever our Nation finishes with all of us) we are still advised to wear those mask. Personally after the vaccinations are done the masks should be second nature. Aren't we used to them by now? Are we still calling it a "Hoax" . 

Carnival will cruise again. Have faith folks.    

Of course we’ll still get to wear masks...there will be plenty of scary strains, need for boosters, etc etc.  and at least 3 layers of masks.  Can’t wait to cruise.