Buying insurance within 14 days of initial payment

Forgive my stupidity... for what reason do you need to buy insurance within 14 (or 21) days of making the initial deposit? I thought I was good in assuming that so long as it was purchased by the time the final payment was made, I was good to go.

Confused...

2 hours ago, PuraVida3000 said:

Forgive my stupidity... for what reason do you need to buy insurance within 14 (or 21) days of making the initial deposit? I thought I was good in assuming that so long as it was purchased by the time the final payment was made, I was good to go.

Confused...

For one thing, it has to do with pre-existing conditions.

It depends upon whether you're buying the coverage from the cruise line or an insurance company and what coverage you want.

If you want to be covered for pre-existing conditions, as 2 cruises a year indicated, you have that short window to purchase from the initial deposit.  That doesn't mean you can't buy the policy after that, you just won't be covered for pre-existing medical conditions.

49 minutes ago, Sailor11743 said:

From my reading of a policy, the pre-existing condition exclusion only refers to conditions which occur within a 60 day window before the insurance is purchased and not to conditions which occurred before that.  Am I correct?

Take a look at the articles at the trip insurance store web site, and some of the previous questions and answers in this forum.

The exclusion condition test evaluates to  “are you healthy enough to take the trip today?” plus insurance contract specific conditions.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, PuraVida3000 said:

Confused...

Hi PuraVida3000,

Most plans require you to buy their plan within 14-21 days of your initial trip deposit dates to get the get pre-existing medical condition coverage, Cancel for Any Reason and 3rd party supplier financial default coverage.

A few plans let you buy by your final payment date to get the pre-existing medical condition coverage.

Here's more information:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve Dasseos

Oh wow! So I can’t even pay the upcharge to get the cancel for any reason if I wait past the timeframe? And just to make sure.. using FCC or CruiseNext to make a deposit counts as the initial payment date, correct?

13 hours ago, PuraVida3000 said:

Oh wow! So I can’t even pay the upcharge to get the cancel for any reason if I wait past the timeframe? And just to make sure.. using FCC or CruiseNext to make a deposit counts as the initial payment date, correct?

Hi PuraVida3000,

The answer will be potentially be different if you are using FCCs or CruiseNext to pay the deposit.

Are your FCCs from a cruise that was cancelled due to Covid or for another reason?

Steve Dasseos

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:55 AM, Maine Cruisers said:

From my reading of a policy, the pre-existing condition exclusion only refers to conditions which occur within a 60 day window before the insurance is purchased and not to conditions which occurred before that.  Am I correct?

That 60 day window is the look-back period. It means that the insurance company will look back at your medical record for the 60 days prior to the policy’s effective date if you file a claim. That is how they determine if you have a pre-existing condition and why it is better to buy a policy with a shorter look-back unless you qualify for the waiver.

If you have sought treatment for a condition or have been diagnosed with something in that 60 day period, even if it did not require action at the time, it would be considered a pre-existing condition - say, for example, a gall bladder flare up which the doctor advised to wait and see but a later attack caused you to cancel. 

If you have a known condition of longer duration for which you regularly take meds, it is not considered pre-existing as long as your condition is stable, but if you have any change in meds or treatment that causes you condition to change, then it is considered a pre-existing condition.

Anything else prior to that window does not matter, assuming it was an acute illness that completely resolved and did not carry over into the 60 day  period.

These terms apply unless you buy the policy within a defined time period after initial deposit, although you can find some policies that will allow purchase before final payment as well. In that case, the pre-existing condition clause is waived.

That is why people who are concerned about pre-existing conditions buy their policies within the appropriate time limit. By doing so they qualify for the waiver,  they are excluded from the look back period, and all conditions are fully covered.

I see that you posted this back in February, but I just saw it today.  You may have found an answer by now or it may not matter anymore, but I wanted to give it a shot since no one here addressed it directly.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, PuraVida3000 said:

Confused...

Hi PuraVida3000,

I know you originally asked on February 27th, and I answered you then, but I thought it may be helpful to others to write this information.

If you want the pre-existing conditions and / or Cancel For Any Reasons coverage, you need to buy a trip cancellation plan within 14 - 21 days of the earliest payment of any kind on your trip. There are a few plans you may buy by Final Payment that cover pre-existing conditions.

The pre-existing conditions coverage includes you, any traveling companions or your non-traveling family members.

Pre-existing Medical Conditions can be something your, traveling companions and non-traveling family members have. If the Pre-existing Medical Condition worsens at least a day after you bought your travel insurance policy and you fulfilled all the plan requirements, these four benefits may be needed:
Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Medical treatment, Medical transportation

Here's more information about how the Pre-Existing Medical Conditions’ Exclusion Waiver Works in a Travel Insurance Policy:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

When you are past the deadline to get a plan with coverage you are governed by the Lookback Period:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

I hope this made sense,

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo