May 2022 cruise cancelled!

applequeen

I was shocked to receive an email yesterday that my May 2022 cruise has been cancelled. Since this cruise originated in Vancouver I knew it might happen but assumed that unless Canada extended their Feb 2022 cruise ban that I would be safe. 

Cancelling 15 months before the cruise when there is no ban in place for that time period seems excessive and premature. 

Does this indicate that NCL may be planning to avoid Canada long term even beyond their ban? 

I won't be rebooking anything at this point. I had $200 in deposits that I am apparently unable to have refunded (I was told that my deposit from my last 2 cruises that were cancelled had been converted to a nonrefundable credit). I am thankful it's not more money and is money that I haven't had in my pocket for 2 1/2 + years. I know there are others with larger amounts that are in limbo. I am undecided if/ when I am going to book anything else. Between itineraries, other obligations, school and work schedules, it's just too hard to find something we can get excited about. I may end up letting the credit expire and I'm mostly OK with that. If I do use it I believe it will likely be for something a trip that is more imminent once COVID restrictions ease up. 

^^^^^

That's too bad.

But, Canada has been pretty vehement about not letting any cruise ships into their ports.  I know NCL has some legislation support for suspending the law requiring a foreign stop for cruises to Alaska.  Not sure how long that would take to get through Congress, though.

Alaska is pushing the bill so they can start recouping their tourism revenue.  

Anything scheduled to originate or stop over in a Canadian port is probably going to be cancelled for a while given Canada's current COVID policies.

I also wonder how all cruises will be rescheduled. They have to get ships to home ports, whether Europe or America. No one really knows where ships will end up.  The  damn CDC needs to let’s us cruise again. We are adults & should be able to decide what we want to do without government telling us

Edited by cabincop
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cabincop said:

I also wonder how all cruises will be rescheduled. They have to get ships to home ports, whether Europe or America. No one really knows where ships will end up.  The  damn CDC needs to let’s us cruise again. We are adults & should be able to decide what we want to do without government telling us

I second that, enough is enough!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, applequeen said:

I was shocked to receive an email yesterday that my May 2022 cruise has been cancelled. Since this cruise originated in Vancouver I knew it might happen but assumed that unless Canada extended their Feb 2022 cruise ban that I would be safe. 

Cancelling 15 months before the cruise when there is no ban in place for that time period seems excessive and premature. 

Does this indicate that NCL may be planning to avoid Canada long term even beyond their ban? 

I won't be rebooking anything at this point. I had $200 in deposits that I am apparently unable to have refunded (I was told that my deposit from my last 2 cruises that were cancelled had been converted to a nonrefundable credit). I am thankful it's not more money and is money that I haven't had in my pocket for 2 1/2 + years. I know there are others with larger amounts that are in limbo. I am undecided if/ when I am going to book anything else. Between itineraries, other obligations, school and work schedules, it's just too hard to find something we can get excited about. I may end up letting the credit expire and I'm mostly OK with that. If I do use it I believe it will likely be for something a trip that is more imminent once COVID restrictions ease up. 

What’s the ship and dates cancelation?

1 hour ago, applequeen said:

Encore - May 2, 2022 LA to Vancouver.

Encore May 2, 2022

Pacific coast LA - San Francisco - Victoria-Vancouver, repositioning cruise -  Canceling NCL Encore (Monday March 8, 2021).  Pacific coast low revenue and low profit.  

Still on Miami - LA 4/17 - 5/2 2022, Panama Canal

Still on Seattle - Seattle 5/8 - 5/15 2022, Alaska 

May be charter (or new NCL Itinerary) 3/4 days LA - Mexico - LA,  2/3 days crew resting?  It’s Encore missing 6 days schedule.   It’s not indicative problem for Canada May 2022.

• Like 1

May 2022 cruise canceled??!!   I have a total different situation.  Booked NCL 2011 Oct cruise sailing from Vancouver. NCL only emailed me the final payment date moving to 60 days before sailing. But I checked the website my cruise doesn't exist anymore. In fact, all 2021 Alaskan cruise not exist in the website. Not sure what NCL is doing??? I really likes to take this cruise and I can wait a little. But NCL got to let people know earlier so we can prepare!🙁

No 2021 Alaska cruise is shown in NCL website but it still say they have not cancelled any Alaska cruise. That's a lie. At least its Alaska cruise in May are all cancelled. 🤔