How long before you have to add your second person?

Hjacobs92

So I am planning on booking a christmas cruise this week with a friend of mine. I’m not 100% convinced she’s going to follow through so my plans was to just book as a single and pay the full price and just add my daughter if she decides not to go.  Is this doable?

10 minutes ago, Hjacobs92 said:

So I am planning on booking a christmas cruise this week with a friend of mine. I’m not 100% convinced she’s going to follow through so my plans was to just book as a single and pay the full price and just add my daughter if she decides not to go.  Is this doable?

Idk I was thinking about this myself. I'm booked early saver. Maybe you have fo book a 2nd pax as TBD and put in a name later. I'm not sure if you dont that you wouldn't be charged a name change.

• Like 1

It is doable.  But depending on how you're booked and with whom, there may be a charge, or you may lose something you got with the booking, like OBC.

I found the easiest thing to do is call and book with a TBD (to be determined).  Then, when I know for certain, I just add the name on the web page.  I just added someone like that this week.   

After final payment, things start getting trickier.  Most things are changeable, at least if you're willing to pay a charge.  I couldn't say when the absolute cut-off is, but I imagine it would be sometime around the time the cruise line has to submit the manifesto.

• Like 1

If you book online with Carnival the 2nd person will book as TBA automatically showing your last name and birth date. I have added the name practically at final payment without issue. The problem with booking as a solo is if you wait too long there is a small potential not to be able to add a second passenger despite the fact that your room has two beds. This can happen if too many 3 & 4 person rooms fill up and the lifeboats do not have the capacity for you to add someone. If you go the TBA route and no one goes with you, you will not be charged the port fees or gratuities for the empty spot.

Edited by n6uqqq

On one cruise I inadvertently did not put my own name in, only my wife. I  made the deposit and the final payment. I got a call from the 305 asking who was the second passenger. So naturally I said "Who's on first?"

They said "We know who is on first, we want to know who is on second?"

I said "How can who be on first and second?"

They said "We want to know the name?"

"Who?"

"Yes, the person's name."

"Who is on first?"

"No, who is on second."

"I thought who was on first"

"What is the person's name on second?"

"Ah, so who is on first, and what is on second?"

"Exactly, what is the name on second?"

"Yes, I understand what is the name on second."

"Can you give the passenger's name?"

"Oh, is that what you wanted. OK"

It seemed that giving the name two days before was OK. I was not charged extra. 

• Haha 1

That made me smile.....

On 3/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, Moviela said:

On one cruise I inadvertently did not put my own name in, only my wife. I  made the deposit and the final payment. I got a call from the 305 asking who was the second passenger. So naturally I said "Who's on first?"

They said "We know who is on first, we want to know who is on second?"

I said "How can who be on first and second?"

They said "We want to know the name?"

"Who?"

"Yes, the person's name."

"Who is on first?"

"No, who is on second."

"I thought who was on first"

"What is the person's name on second?"

"Ah, so who is on first, and what is on second?"

"Exactly, what is the name on second?"

"Yes, I understand what is the name on second."

"Can you give the passenger's name?"

"Oh, is that what you wanted. OK"

It seemed that giving the name two days before was OK. I was not charged extra. 

I booked as a single and the day before the cruise I decided to ask a friend join me. It was about 24 hours before we sailed.  Taxes and port charges were added for the 2nd person on that last day.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that Carnival may be changing some of these processes due to COVID and capacity constraints. We just rebooked our cancelled cruise for Fall 2022. One of our party was planning to bring her grown daughter. Her daughter wasn't sure if her boyfriend would want to go with them. I asked our PVP what would be the best way to book them - book a cabin for three with one of them as a TBD or book for two and move to a cabin for three later. She told me that due to COVID capacity constraints they can no longer book TBAs. My sister also booked her cabin as a solo but put the invite to join her out to a couple of her friends (first come, first book basis). Our PVP told her that if the ship as a whole reaches the capacity limits, she can't add a second person even if her cabin can technically accommodate someone else.