Pent up demand and higher prices

Windsurfboy

Yesterday rather than interrupt lunch I made the mistake and waited till 1.30pm to book segment of 2023 world cruise, Capetown to Southampton. By 1.30 no luck on line getting a QG cabin, thought it might be another IT glitch. Rang up, got through about 2.15pm, by which time all QG cabins had gone and I luckily got last PG. Now showing sold out.  Shows high level of pent up demand if Cunard can sell out in an hour and a half. 

Also my PG  midships cabin was dearer than my midships QG cabin on the 2020 cancelled cruise , on same ship QM2 same Capetown to  Southampton sector. The QG cabin which I couldn't complete the booking on was 35% dearer than I paid for same cabin  on cancelled 22 cruise, so more than making up for 25% FCC bonus

Looks like Cunard are exploiting pent up demand,  FCC in the system and covid savings to raise prices. Expect this will continue until all FCC is out of system. It will only be when in 2023 we come to book for 2024/25 when no FCC we possibly may see lower prices. But it could be a irreversible  step change.

Did others see prices up significantly on other cruise segments.

We got pricing for the entire 2023 WC and I was shocked by the price increase over 2020.  I certainly expected some but it was over $10K for the same category (BU) and we had a little FCC applied to lower it to that amount.  

DH wants to go so we'll see...we really want to 'finish' the 2020 cruise once and for all and this itinerary would do it.

that's interesting when I was going through the figures for Ocean View and Balconeys for the QV 2023 WC I thought they were comparable to the WC i did in 2016, in fact was about a grand cheaper..I wonder if it was a QM thing?

I was also surprised that I only had to pay a $300 deposit on a PG for the full world which really took me aback...is that the same deposit everyone is paying?

Edited by roscoe39

Roscoe in Australia the deposit is  $300.00 per person, refundable up to 01 December 22. I got the last QG for Sydney to Southampton, at 8.00 am yesterday as soon as bookings opened for Club Members. I think Cunard let them go to people on cancelled options for 2021??

I think price similar to 2021 and 2020.

Something to look forward to. 

congrats on the QG Daiseybel....my new best friend......!

Makes sense to hold off for those on cancelled cruises but I suspect they also had full world cruisers down for a certain amount of priority as well. I think we will be lucky, I have cancelled my 2020 trip as I doubt the WC will go ahead with half the world still not vaccinated.

The $300 deposit was very welcome....I was thinking i was going to have to break open the mattress to pay the 15%, now i don't have to.

It might be curious to know if "sold out" is at full capacity or reduced capacity?  It may very well be at some reduced capacity as who knows how stringent the covid protocols will still be by the time the voyages finally start. 

• Like 1

I wondered that to, we are all taking a punt that the world may have returned to normal by then, but then....what is normal anymore.

If everyone is paying only $300 deposit then i suspect a lot of availability will come up once the full payment date in October comes up. $300 is nothing to hold a possibility in the meantime...

I think that $300 deposit must be an Australia thing. I think here in the US I was quoted a deposit just under $5000 for a single supplement balcony.

I’m still making up my mind between QV and QM2. I would have dearly loved to go on the 2021 QV voyage, but while I think it’s possible that it will sail, I think there will be too many restrictions for it to be worthwhile for a solo traveler. I don’t want to spend four months eating by myself. I also think there may be itinerary changes that could go either way as far as being enjoyable or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, procrastiknitter said:

I think that $300 deposit must be an Australia thing. I think here in the US I was quoted a deposit just under $5000 for a single supplement balcony.

I’m still making up my mind between QV and QM2. I would have dearly loved to go on the 2021 QV voyage, but while I think it’s possible that it will sail, I think there will be too many restrictions for it to be worthwhile for a solo traveler. I don’t want to spend four months eating by myself. I also think there may be itinerary changes that could go either way as far as being enjoyable or not.

Yes, our deposit is $6400 or so.  Of course in the US we can get all our money back if we cancel so maybe that's why there's a difference.

10 hours ago, procrastiknitter said:

. I would have dearly loved to go on the 2021 QV voyage,

I think the ship has sailed Pracastinknitter!

my choice is and always has been the QV, i find the QM2 although a beautiful ship,  a bit large for me as a solo passenger. The size of the QV is better for meeting people.

thanks C and P, hearing that helps, we should appreciate the $300 more than we know then it probably one of the few times we got an offer here in Australasia that was above those in the US because having to give Cunard a deposit of tens of thousands of dollars for just under two years did hurt at the thought....$300 is a bit easier to stomach.

Fingers crossed we all get away....

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Yes, our deposit is $6400 or so.  Of course in the US we can get all our money back if we cancel so maybe that's why there's a difference.

Yes, that makes sense. You’re on the QM2 voyage, right? The deposit I was quoted was for the QV, which is shorter. For some reason I didn’t get a deposit quote on the QM2.

7 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

I think the ship has sailed Pracastinknitter!

my choice is and always has been the QV, i find the QM2 although a beautiful ship,  a bit large for me as a solo passenger. The size of the QV is better for meeting people.

Aaargh! I can’t type! 2022!

That’s interesting that you think the smaller ship is better for meeting people. How does the programming on QV compare with QM2? 

I may try to book tomorrow, since things are filling up so quickly.

By the way, it hadn’t really hit me that Cunard would have my money for almost two years, until you pointed it out. Thanks (or not) for that!

it is a wack to put on as a deposit for two years hence  but at least it's reasonably safe in that its fully refundable. I had a US agent a few years ago and used to use them for that exact reason but as the years rolled on and my confidence that the trips would happen and the currency fluctuations became more drastic i reverted back to Australasia. Though I did save $10,000 on the WC in 2016 by booking it in the UK! It pays to check the rates.

The QV in my mind has a happier feel and maybe a little less formal than the QM2,  its the one ship that the crew ask to return to and also known as the happy ship within the Cunard family. Although having said that I know people who swear by the QM2. I find the programs onboard enjoyable however I am more interested in the Lectures than Zumba. There will be examples of the ships progress on line if you want to check them out....