bow cabins L107, L108, M107, M108 on the Royal or Regal?

oldfashioncruiser

I stayed in L108 on a 26-day cruise to the Baltic’s back in 2014. Only reason a reserved it was the unbeatable price. It was a steal. Great location. Wonderful cabin overall. A couple of caveats - if people are above you in Sanctuary, you can hear scraping of furniture, etc. wasn’t a big deal at all on my cruise as very few people used Sanctuary. Bigger issue was vibration and wind. When it got windy, room would vibrate and whistle. Hard to describe but it was annoying. Also when windy, you really could t go out on the expansive balcony let alone open the sliding glass door. Didn’t have any issues with keeping drapes fawn at night, etc

• Like 1

Many times and we loved them.  If you are sensitive to motion or you don’t want to deal with windy conditions, then these cabins may not be your preference.  However, the huge balconies were worth it to us.  My husband has recently developed vertigo, so on our Enchanted sailing, we’ve booked a midship mini to minimize the motion.  Grab one if available!

• Like 1

We love the L107 & L108 mini suites. So much so we have been in them several times on the Regal Princess. We booked L108 again for our New Years B2B last year on the Sky Princess. We currently are booked in L108 on the Enchanted Princess in January 2022, the Majestic's Cali Coastal in April 2022 and in L107 on the Discovery Princess to Alaska in August 2022!

My husband is an photographer and just loves the wide open balcony and sweeping views for his photo shots! 

• Like 1

You either love them or hate them.  I really enjoyed them.  The wind when under sail did not bother me  much except for one day when we were really moving nor did the metal rail even though it blocked the view when seated.  My wife absolutely hated them.  She loves hanging out on the balcony but the wind was to much for her when sailing.   She wins we no longer book them.

We were in L103 on the Regal. They balcony is HUGE! The only negative for us was the metal railing. I like to see our when I am sitting on the balcony. They metal railing is an obstruction, so we stick with our aft balconies, hopefully on a corner. That way the views are wide and can be enjoyed when sitting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nini said:

We were in L103 on the Regal. They balcony is HUGE! The only negative for us was the metal railing. I like to see our when I am sitting on the balcony. They metal railing is an obstruction, so we stick with our aft balconies, hopefully on a corner. That way the views are wide and can be enjoyed when sitting.

We went met a couple in our Roll Call group who were in L104 with the large balcony and solid railing wall. They had brought those bed risers and used them on the deck chairs to make them high enough to see over the railing. It worked perfectly. The light weight plastic riser cubes easily stacked together and took up very little space in their bags. I thought it was brilliant! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carefreebee said:

We went met a couple in our Roll Call group who were in L104 with the large balcony and solid railing wall. They had brought those bed risers and used them on the deck chairs to make them high enough to see over the railing. It worked perfectly. The light weight plastic riser cubes easily stacked together and took up very little space in their bags. I thought it was brilliant! 

They must have been tall people! I am afraid 6" would not help short little me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nini said:

They must have been tall people! I am afraid 6" would not help short little me.

I think they were!! I have a friend that we meet to cruise with. She is well under 5' and carries this little step with her to the MDR so her legs don't dangle! It fits perfectly in a nice little Vera Bradley bag.

• Like 1

Stayed in L107 for 15 days in September / October '19 on Royal sailing Los Angeles to Mexico.  

Understand that temps were in the high 80's low 90's throughout and this affected our opinion of this cabin somewhat.

We LOVED:

The Lido deck location.  So easy to get to top deck facilities.  I grabbed a coffee an pastry for DW every morning, two minutes later I was in the cabin, so easy.

The room layout, the sleeping area is very separate from the 'living' area. No door but a heavy curtain in between.  Great if you don't follow the same schedule as your travel partner.

The sleeping room is HUGE.

We felt next to no motion something we worried a bit about given the very forward location.

Yes, that giant balcony.  It was truly great for sail in's / sail out's.  Really special, but . . . 

We didn't love:

That giant balcony has no shade whatsoever, never, none, nada.  With high temps we were quickly cooked it just wasn't pleasant to be out there except very early morning or after dark.  With a cooler itinerary this could have been tolerable or even pleasant but for us, just too hot to enjoy much.  Marina deck cabins have considerable shade from Lido cabins above - probably a better choice for us.

At times, depending on ship direction and relative wind, it was unpleasant to be near the rail.  Further back most of the air was deflected over your head - usually.

It's a long walk through the bedroom & living room to the bathroom.  If you find yourself going during the night I suggest bringing a nightlight.

That's it, my whole list, we basically loved the inside of the cabin but had very mixed feelings about the giant balcony.  Would I sail in this room again, absolutely yes.  Would I book another later summer sailing to Mexico in this cabin, likely not.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I prefer the Lido cabins (L107 and L108) but will settle for the Marina cabins if the Lido are unavailable, as the Lido tend to book first. The Lido cabins give you much more privacy on the balcony as well as some shade. Also, the closets and drawers are near the bathroom instead of the bed, so if one of you in the cabin likes to get up early you can get ready without disturbing your partner.

The Marina (M107 and M108) cabins are completely exposed and have no privacy. The only benefit of Marina over Lido for these cabins is Marina has a very very large balcony instead of just a very large balcony. Unless you're planning a get together of 50+ people, the Lido balconies are plenty huge enough. 

The view from m107 or m108 is second to none tho. To be able to look all the way down the side of the ship as if you are the captain is such a unique experience. Have m107 booked on the discovery in January again