Does a balcony matter for Hawaii?

Peace2U

Hubby and I are looking into booking a Hawaii cruise. We have had a few balconies,  but usually book inside cabins. We did a balcony for Alaska, but I didn't know if Hawaii is a location where a  balcony is a must-have.

3 hours ago, Peace2U said:

Hubby and I are looking into booking a Hawaii cruise. We have had a few balconies,  but usually book inside cabins. We did a balcony for Alaska, but I didn't know if Hawaii is a location where a  balcony is a must-have.

To give a more accurate answer, are you looking at the Pride of America or a cruise from the mainland to Hawaii and back?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peace2U said:

I've never been, so I don't know if there are things to constantly see, like there are in Alaska.

We only book balconies on every one of our 22 cruises. , love balconies. We enjoy just looking at the ocean...hearing the ocean...that is a big part of being on a ship. So for us, a balcony is absolutely worth it. That is us.

We don't know you...can't tell what your priorities are. As asked above, a cruise that stays totally with in Hawaii would probably push towards a balcony. One that sails from the mainland,  and you don't have that love of the sea...less need for a balcony. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

To give a more accurate answer, are you looking at the Pride of America or a cruise from the mainland to Hawaii and back?

Probably Pride of America, if that is the one that starts and ends in Honolulu.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Got in yesterday...11 more nights. Back again in October for 12 nights is booked.

Off-topic for a moment, but please bear with us.  We believe you mentioned several days ago that you are a retired firefighter.  If so, we have more in common than cruising.  If you would care to drop by our home while you are out and about during the day, we'd be pleased to see you.  

On 3/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, Peace2U said:

If you are planning on the NCL Pride of America inter-island cruise there is a variety of opinion regarding balcony vs no balcony. On this cruise the ship is like a floating hotel that overnights on two islands. There are no at sea days. They mainly sail at night with only one afternoon cruise along the Nepali coast. Many people are of the opinion that a balcony is not worth it on this cruise. Check out the NCL board and search Pride of America to get the full picture. I don’t know anything about other lines.

Edited by philv
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes on the balcony!  Otherwise you are going to miss seeing a lot of rainbows!  

With the wonderful weather and the spectacular views, I would recommend a balcony.

I have so many great memories from our Hawaiian cruise several years ago.

We flew to Honolulu to embark and then the ship did the transpacific on the way back.  I absolutely loved the sea days on the balcony.  It was so peaceful and a wonderful place to read and have a drink.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, Peace2U said:

We are going Apr. 25, 2022.  We booked a balcony because I feel like there will be lots to see.  Can't wait!

A balcony is and always will be a must for us....the quiet outside private space is what adds to our cruise experience. Not interested in staying in what is smaller than my walk in closet at home.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A balcony (particularly aft) is a must for us for the sound of the waves and fresh air if nothing else.  I have read that for the PoA Hawaii cruise it's not essential since sailing from island to island is at night with the exception of one afternoon cruise along the Nepali coast.  Looking at the itinerary map, it looks like both port and starboard sides of the ship will get a nice view as the ship sails by the coast and then swings around to head back. 

• 4 weeks later...

We've been on the POA twice, and the cruise by the NaPali coast was different--once we doubled back, the second time we continued clear around Kauai.  That time we at least got to see the unapproachable island of Ni'ihau.

• 1 month later...