Insurance

Gingercruiser

16 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

OK, I’m gonna have to look into it further then. Mine is Admiral...hopefully MSC give us a clear checklist to take to our insurers and confirm (or deny).

Otherwise it’s gonna be a case of finding the correct single trip policy I suppose. 

Out of interest I priced up a single trip policy earlier. The Post Office came out at less than £50 for both of us for a week’s cover and with listing my husband’s hypertension. Importantly, it includes cruising in the UK and Covid cover. I thought that was extremely reasonable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Out of interest I priced up a single trip policy earlier. The Post Office came out at less than £50 for both of us for a week’s cover and with listing my husband’s hypertension. Importantly, it includes cruising in the UK and Covid cover. I thought that was extremely reasonable!

Did Post Office issue a policy endorsement or similar when you bought it as I looked at their policy and it had the following exclusion

“q) any costs incurred in Your Home Country other than in connection with transportation of You or Your remains to Home from abroad, or a valid claim under point 5) UK Prescriptions and Chiropractic Care;”

Home country is defined as being in UK. 

2 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Did Post Office issue a policy endorsement or similar when you bought it as I looked at their policy and it had the following exclusion

“q) any costs incurred in Your Home Country other than in connection with transportation of You or Your remains to Home from abroad, or a valid claim under point 5) UK Prescriptions and Chiropractic Care;”

Home country is defined as being in UK. 

I didn’t actually purchase the policy as I’m already covered under my annual one, however, I did a dummy booking as I was interested in the cost of a stand alone.

The Post Office one I looked at was headed up ‘Covid-19 Travel Insurance’ and I ticked the boxes for single trip, Area of Travel - UK and ‘Going on a Cruise’.

I’ve just had a brief look at the  policy wording (I’m at work atm so can’t spend too long on my phone lol) and section ‘q’ is concerning Airspace Closure which obviously does not affect UK cruises. 

Ive spent a fair chunk of time researching travel policies for the UK cruises over the last week.  The first company who have put in writing specific answers re UK water scenarios is Cover For You who are underwritten by AXA.  If it's of interest here is an extract from the transcript. Usual disclaimers ...... this is not advise and others should do their own research before purchasing to ensure it meets your needs :-)

"I am looking for travel insurance for a cruise that stays in uk waters. Please can you confirm if your policies cover the following:-

1) Repatriation in an emergency from the ship for a medical emergency if the ship can’t dock and the coast guard is unable to assist. I’m thinking of an emergency helicopter evacuation still in UK waters.

2) Treatment onboard the ship that is required as the NHS can’t be accessed whilst at sea in UK waters.

3) Cancellation cover for the cruise if NHS track and trace tell you to self isolate and therefore can’t go on the cruise.

It seems on the face of it that any treatment in the Home Area is excluded - however I’m guessing a cruise has an endorsement added?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chat Transferred. Hi, xxxx here!! I'd be happy to assist you further.

All our policies include up to £15 million of cover for on board emergency medical costs including the costs of repatriation (emergency evacuation) where medically necessary. This applies for all cruises including a UK 'Cruise to nowhere'* or a UK 'Coastal Cruise'**

All normal cover included in your policy also applies including cover for cancellation, curtailment, baggage and more, please refer to the schedule of benefits and the terms found in your policy wording for further information for your chosen cover level. Please note we also offer an optional 'Cruise Cover' add on which provides additional cover including Unused Excursions cover, Missed Port cover and Confinement To Cabin cover, if you have already purchased your policy and would like to add this cover please visit your Customer Zone to add (subject to terms and additional premium).

A 'Cruise to nowhere' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port without calling at any additional ports. Cover is in force from the time you leave port in the UK to the time you return to port in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

A 'Coastal Cruise' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port stopping at one or more UK ports. Cover is in force while at sea, from the time you leave one port to the time you disembark at the next, limited cover applies while on land in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

That is helpful thank you. Do you have an answer about cover if you have to self isolate under advise from NHS track & Trace prior to the cruise do you can’t go on it.

Subject to terms and conditions you are covered for cancellation due to self isolation providing that official letter/email can be provided confirming the advise.

Great. You are one of the first companies to provide robust answers to these questions. What you have said clearly is different to the policy document we can view when taking out a policy. Is a policy endorsement issued to confirm what you have said ?

Kindly note that above is listed in your policy wording document attached to welcome email. For any information regarding scenarios covered in terms of COVID-19 please see https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Ive spent a fair chunk of time researching travel policies for the UK cruises over the last week.  The first company who have put in writing specific answers re UK water scenarios is Cover For You who are underwritten by AXA.  If it's of interest here is an extract from the transcript. Usual disclaimers ...... this is not advise and others should do their own research before purchasing to ensure it meets your needs 🙂

"I am looking for travel insurance for a cruise that stays in uk waters. Please can you confirm if your policies cover the following:-

1) Repatriation in an emergency from the ship for a medical emergency if the ship can’t dock and the coast guard is unable to assist. I’m thinking of an emergency helicopter evacuation still in UK waters.

2) Treatment onboard the ship that is required as the NHS can’t be accessed whilst at sea in UK waters.

3) Cancellation cover for the cruise if NHS track and trace tell you to self isolate and therefore can’t go on the cruise.

It seems on the face of it that any treatment in the Home Area is excluded - however I’m guessing a cruise has an endorsement added?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chat Transferred. Hi, xxxx here!! I'd be happy to assist you further.

All our policies include up to £15 million of cover for on board emergency medical costs including the costs of repatriation (emergency evacuation) where medically necessary. This applies for all cruises including a UK 'Cruise to nowhere'* or a UK 'Coastal Cruise'**

All normal cover included in your policy also applies including cover for cancellation, curtailment, baggage and more, please refer to the schedule of benefits and the terms found in your policy wording for further information for your chosen cover level. Please note we also offer an optional 'Cruise Cover' add on which provides additional cover including Unused Excursions cover, Missed Port cover and Confinement To Cabin cover, if you have already purchased your policy and would like to add this cover please visit your Customer Zone to add (subject to terms and additional premium).

A 'Cruise to nowhere' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port without calling at any additional ports. Cover is in force from the time you leave port in the UK to the time you return to port in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

A 'Coastal Cruise' is a cruise that departs from and returns to a UK port stopping at one or more UK ports. Cover is in force while at sea, from the time you leave one port to the time you disembark at the next, limited cover applies while on land in the UK. This cover stems from the insured person being outside their Home Area while at sea as the territorial waters around the UK do not form part of the Home Area definition within our policy wording.

That is helpful thank you. Do you have an answer about cover if you have to self isolate under advise from NHS track & Trace prior to the cruise do you can’t go on it.

Subject to terms and conditions you are covered for cancellation due to self isolation providing that official letter/email can be provided confirming the advise.

Great. You are one of the first companies to provide robust answers to these questions. What you have said clearly is different to the policy document we can view when taking out a policy. Is a policy endorsement issued to confirm what you have said ?

Kindly note that above is listed in your policy wording document attached to welcome email. For any information regarding scenarios covered in terms of COVID-19 please see https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php"

Well that’s certainly seems to cover every eventuality. Any idea on pricing?

8 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Well that’s certainly seems to cover every eventuality. Any idea on pricing?

That will depend on individual circumstances but for me similar price to Holiday Extras.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Ive spent a fair chunk of time researching travel policies for the UK cruises over the last week.  The first company who have put in writing specific answers re UK water scenarios is Cover For You who are underwritten by AXA. 

Thanks Stu, that is really interesting and most helpful.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for sharing your research. It's a bit of a mine field out there when it come to insurance. I've now gone with AXA for my insurance and they were really helpful on the phone and answered all my questions. I'm book from Southampton on 3rd July and so looking forward to it! 😀

Edited by Cruiseforever11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

My positive and very clear emails with Cover For You (cashback available via Quidco https://www.quidco.com/raf/653713/) - and not unreasonable rates for pre-existing etc.

So, Stu UK and yourselves are reporting positively on the responses from this company, on that basis I think we'll go with them. Assuming you guys are doing the same?

Thanks.

Edited by hamrag

Thanks for all the info about Cover For You, I've just phoned and bought their policy. Cover seems good and price is excellent.

I've just booked parking too so all ready to sail now.

Good news I just got off the phone with staysure and they have endorsed that my annual   Worldwide policy will include Uk staycation cruise, it will include medical emergencies onboard. 

I have received confirmation email to take with me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kernow said:

Thanks for all the info about Cover For You, I've just phoned and bought their policy. Cover seems good and price is excellent.

I've just booked parking too so all ready to sail now.

Hi Kernow

Who did you do the parking with? I take it your sailing from Southampton? I thought i was already to go until i saw your post and parking! I need to book that now. Its been along time since i sailed out of Southampton.

16 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi Kernow

Who did you do the parking with? I take it your sailing from Southampton? I thought i was already to go until i saw your post and parking! I need to book that now. Its been along time since i sailed out of Southampton.

I used AB parking at the port. We've used them lots of times before, very easy. If you use code KEEPTRADING it gives 10% discount.

3 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi Kernow

I booked my parking at Southampton port with ABP, £84.60 for the week commencing 3rd July, 10% discount using code KEEPTRADING. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason try code TA 2021.

4 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I booked my parking at Southampton port with ABP, £84.60 for the week commencing 3rd July, 10% discount using code KEEPTRADING. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason try code TA 2021.

Thankyou guys i will give that whirl and get booked now😀

16 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

All booked and discount code KEEPTRADING worked. Thank you. 

Hello,

The Post Office has two different polices and I can only presume they decide which one to cover you under based on your answers to their questions.

I do not think either offers sufficient cover for MSC under covid - specifically the insured is only covered if he/she/other tests positive for the virus and not if told to isolate under test and trace or similar because of contacts.

Anyone with the stamina and or time can read the following:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/travel-insurance-terms-and-conditons-collinson.pdf

and

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/pdf/travel-insurance-terms-and-conditions-ERV.pdf

My question on medical expenses incurred whilst on board in UK waters went unanswered.

Regards,

Cublet

19 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Cover for You have updated their information for UK only cruises. First company I have seen who have done this. Link below, need to scan down to the Covid questions. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

Thanks for all the helpful information, much appreciated. I am not liking the following, but perhaps all travel insurance has this exemption:

If you purchased a new policy after midday on the 13th March 2020
Any new policy purchased after midday on the 13th March 2020 will not cover any cancellation due to government restriction on travel due to Coronavirus* or any future pandemic (for example the FCDO advising against all travel or all but essential travel to your destination or your flights being cancelled).

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Thanks for all the helpful information, much appreciated. I am not liking the following, but perhaps all travel insurance has this exemption:

Any new policy purchased after midday on the 13th March 2020 will not cover any cancellation due to government restriction on travel due to Coronavirus* or any future pandemic (for example the FCDO advising against all travel or all but essential travel to your destination or your flights being cancelled).

There are not many policies that will cover you for travel when the government tell you not to. If the government in the UK ban holidays again I’m guessing the cruise company will cancel the UK sailing. 

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

When we purchased our insurance from Cover For You they did specifically say that if you travel against government advice you are not covered. It didn't worry us as surely if the government restrictions change MSC will not be able to sail and we will be refunded (eventually!).

39 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

There are not many policies that will cover you for travel when the government tell you not to. If the government in the UK ban holidays again I’m guessing the cruise company will cancel the UK sailing. 

It was the part about not covering any future pandemic that stood out, recognising it would be totally ridiculous to travel against government advice....thanks.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

It was the part about not covering any future pandemic that stood out, recognising it would be totally ridiculous to travel against government advice....thanks.

When I spoke to AXA last year around September they said if we booked any holidays after March 2020 they would not be covered for cancellation or travel because of the Government no travel advice. Hopefully on Monday that advice might be lifted but it begs the question as to whether others who have now booked the UK sailings are covered.

4 minutes ago, sidari said:

When I spoke to AXA last year around September they said if we booked any holidays after March 2020 they would not be covered for cancellation or travel because of the Government no travel advice. Hopefully on Monday that advice might be lifted but it begs the question as to whether others who have now booked the UK sailings are covered.

The way I understand it is that if the government open the hospitality sector on May 17th as per the roadmap, the UK cruises can go ahead and will be covered. If anything changes from this the cruise lines will have to cancel and we will get our money back from them so it doesn't matter if the insurance is invalid.