Insurance

Gingercruiser

Hi everyone, I have taken the plunge and booked on Virtuosa on 21 August.  I know it is expensive for what it is ( I am a solo passenger), but I need a break! Anyway, has anyone managed to arrange travel insurance yet for these sailings?  My usual insurer doesn’t cover for U.K. cruises and it seems difficult to find anyone to cover them. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gingercruiser said:

Hi everyone, I have taken the plunge and booked on Virtuosa on 21 August.  I know it is expensive for what it is ( I am a solo passenger), but I need a break! Anyway, has anyone managed to arrange travel insurance yet for these sailings?  My usual insurer doesn’t cover for U.K. cruises and it seems difficult to find anyone to cover them. Thanks

MSC will be offering Insurance soon for UK cruises, I believe it will be similar to what is currently offered to those sailing on Grandiosa.

Edited by sidari

We're not sure what to do yet either. TA suggested Holiday Extras, their cover seems good but on speaking to them they do not cover for cancellation if you are told to self isolate by track and trace pre cruise, they would only cover if you actually test positive for covid.

We have a quote from LV which covers everything but only offers £2000 repatriation for UK which we are not sure is enough. I spoke to someone at MSC who didn't know but told me to wait until they release their policy and see how much that covers. He didn't know when it would be released but said probably in the next few days.

2 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

It took a while to find it, but MSC promote the following Travel Insurance - https://standalone-prelive.europ-assistance.com/uk/offer.htm

It doesnt say anything about pre-existing conditions that I can find - though I only glanced

This link comes up with an error for me.

7 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I spent this morning painstakingly going through the list of insurers provided by the Gov Money Advice Service.....

Thank you, most helpful, do they provide extensive COVID-19 cover? 

Also, are the quotes covering UK or Europe or Worldwide?

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Yes, they all have Covid cover and all were quoted on Worldwide (inc USA) for multi-trip - all were for a cruise-specific policy too

We will go with same, once we decide what to do with UK summer Virtuosa, and our cost is broadly the same as yours....and that's for the enhanced cover, rather than the basic policy. The thing about these policies is that a single trip for UK cover i.e. the UK only cruises costs about half of that for one week cover. So, for anyone planning any overseas cruise travel later this year and through June next year, it costs the same again for 15 months Worldwide cover....for me, in COVID-19 times, that is a very good deal.

Edited by hamrag

Yes i had the same issue with Staysure. I called MSC as Staysure said they wanted to know what the details of emergency medical and repatriation requirements for MSC round Britain cruises and they would look to see if they would cover me and the response i got from MSC was they are still looking into the final details and they mention that they may be trying to sort out their insurance for people to take like they have in the Med. I guess MSC are waiting for this magic April 12th announcement regarding travel. All very confusing. 

45 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

A further update from StaySure specifically for MSC UK Coastal Cruises..........

we have been able to work with our underwriter to offer this option for that specific requirement. For a cruise with MSC we would be able to offer up to £10,000 repatriation but you are correct in saying we would not be able to cover for medical expenses on board the ship itself. 

So, they will cover upto £10k to have you flown off the ship - which will likely be free by the Coastguard.

If you become ill onboard, you have ZERO cover for any medical bills incurred.

The, once you're in the UK you get your free NHS cover.

So - basically the Staysure Policy covers NOTHING OF VALUE

That's interesting, considering their website has the following specific Q&A. My take, and I'd argue it through the Financial Ombudsman if they refused such claim, is that on the ship is my 'UK holiday' which was pre-booked and covered more than the required two nights away....and, the travel insurance specifically includes cruise cover (there is a tick box to confirm you want cruising covered):

What if I want to go on holiday in the UK during the COVID-19 pandemic?down-arrow.svg

Before you go on holiday in the UK, It’s important to check your destination is safe to travel to and not in a local lockdown.

If your destination is safe to travel to, your trip should be covered by UK travel insurance.

For your UK holiday to be covered, you must have pre-booked and paid for two or more consecutive nights away.

51 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

But have you chosen a Cruise Policy and read the Documents that go alongside it?

Its also worth highlighting part of what you've posted........"your trip should be covered by UK Travel Insurance"

There is a huge difference between "should" and "would".

The Insurers simply claim that it's impossible to put every eventuality on their web pages and they do always make clear you must read the Policy itself.

----------------------------------------------------

The really frustrating thing is that there's an opportunity for an Insurer to make a LOT of money at the moment simply by publicly stating they cover medical costs in UK waters - even if it's an "Add-On Option" to a Standard Policy.

Its shocking that they will cover your onboard medical bills, airlift and medical bills in the Caribbean or USA but refuse the onboard costs when only 10 metres from the dock in Southampton.

No, I haven't yet read the cruise documents. But, the policy covers worldwide and it would be interesting to take them to task in the event of a claim. Unless there is explicit exclusion that medical costs in UK waters are excluded with such policy, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on....have you seen any such exclusion statements in the documentation?

Obviously I need to explore all of this in much more detail.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know the level of insurance cover MSC requires?

When I booked (Virtuosa 3rd July) my TA advised me a minimum of £2m Medical Cover and £2m Repatriation Cover was required but surely that’s for overseas cruises?

I have a worldwide annual travel policy which includes cruising, however, when I checked with the provider today they only cover up to £10k for UK cruises.

Edited by CaroleC

2 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Does anyone know the level of insurance cover MSC requires?

When I booked (Virtuosa 3rd July) my TA advised me a minimum of £2m Medical Cover and £2m Repatriation Cover was required but surely that’s for overseas cruises?

I have a worldwide annual travel policy which includes cruising, however, when I checked with the provider today they only cover up to £10k for UK cruises.

It sounds like you & I may have the same policy. 

Mine states medical cover of £10M when "outside of your home area" and only £10K for related costs "inside your home area" and "home area" is defined as: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Isle of Man if your home is in any of these countries. 

So if you are onboard a ship sailing off the coast of these countries, then would that be classed as outside of your home area?

Surely it must be as otherwise this would affect all cruises sailing to & from the UK. Otherwise even passengers on a world cruise would not be insured during the first and last hours of the voyage. 

8 hours ago, simon stingray said:

Mine states medical cover of £10M when "outside of your home area" and only £10K for related costs "inside your home area" and "home area" is defined as: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Isle of Man if your home is in any of these countries. 

So if you are onboard a ship sailing off the coast of these countries, then would that be classed as outside of your home area?

Surely it must be as otherwise this would affect all cruises sailing to & from the UK. Otherwise even passengers on a world cruise would not be insured during the first and last hours of the voyage. 

Yes that’s the same cover as on mine. I’m really unsure what to do about this. As I stated previously, my provider has advised the cover is only £10k on UK cruises 🤔

I think we're all in the same situation with this as none of the policies seem to have very high cover for UK cruises. I think we'll have to wait for MSC to bring out their policy to see what they actually require, they don't seem to know themselves at the moment.

I've just gone for it and booked direct with MSC for the 24th May sailing. The e-mail booking confirmation had an attachment with the T&C's and it states:

4. Insurance
4.1 The Company recommends that every Passenger should have adequate insurance policy which covers them sufficiently for Holiday Package cancellation, medical assistance and expenses, loss and/or damage of the luggage, from the time the Holiday Package has been confirmed as Booked to the end of the Holiday Package.

No mention of amounts of cover required.

24 minutes ago, simon stingray said:

I've just gone for it and booked direct with MSC for the 24th May sailing. The e-mail booking confirmation had an attachment with the T&C's and it states:

4. Insurance
4.1 The Company recommends that every Passenger should have adequate insurance policy which covers them sufficiently for Holiday Package cancellation, medical assistance and expenses, loss and/or damage of the luggage, from the time the Holiday Package has been confirmed as Booked to the end of the Holiday Package.

No mention of amounts of cover required.

That is the general terms, I received details when I was informed I could move my cruise to this ship, they will send more when they have detail, here is the wording:

Insurance

Please be advised that proof of insurance that includes Covid-19 protection for all passengers is a requirement to embark the ship and failure to produce proof of insurance will unfortunately result in refusal to embark.

Edited by ziggyuk

I have enquired with my existing insurers and received this reply:

Thanks for your E-Mail, as long as the government advice was its ok to travel then that’s fine, you have worldwide cover which includes the UK so that’s fine, just keep your eye on the government advise incase anything changes, we wouldn’t however cover if the trip got cancelled because of Covid-19, hope that helps.

Does this sound certain enough? I keep reading about repatriation costs and the reply does not mention this?

4 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

I have enquired with my existing insurers and received this reply:

Thanks for your E-Mail, as long as the government advice was its ok to travel then that’s fine, you have worldwide cover which includes the UK so that’s fine, just keep your eye on the government advise incase anything changes, we wouldn’t however cover if the trip got cancelled because of Covid-19, hope that helps.

Does this sound certain enough? I keep reading about repatriation costs and the reply does not mention this?

The way I understand it is that MSC require Covid 19 cover, not sure if yours includes that?

10 minutes ago, kernow said:

The way I understand it is that MSC require Covid 19 cover, not sure if yours includes that?

Arghhh I’m scared of being turned away! When I renewed the policy in January I was told it covered Covid expenses while on holiday, just not for cancellations due to Covid (ie if I get it and can’t travel). 

I have just rang MSC because I wanted  to make sure that my annual worldwide policy which includes cruising has sufficient cover (it has £10k UK medical expenses incorporated).

I was told that as long as the policy included Covid cover it was acceptable. There is no minimum level of cover in monetary terms that MSC requires for UK cruises that remain in British waters. 

Hope this helps 😎

Edited by CaroleC
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I have just rang MSC because I wanted  to make sure that my annual worldwide policy which includes cruising has sufficient cover (it has £10k UK medical expenses incorporated).

I was told that as long as the policy included Covid cover it was acceptable. There is no minimum level of cover in monetary terms that MSC requires for UK cruises that remain in British waters. 

Hope this helps 😎

Briliant news!! Thank you for that info 🙏

• Like 1

18 hours ago, simon stingray said:

Simon ... As the ships will be sailing in UK waters I would guess that you are not sailing outside of these areas ie England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

54 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Not really.

If you have a StaySure Policy they only provide an Endorsement for P&O and Cunard Cruises.

For MSC they cover upto £10,000 to airlift you off the ship (which would be free with the Coastguard anyway).

The important thing is they provide ZERO cover for any onboard medical bills for cruises inside UK Territorial Waters (within 12 miles from UK land) - which make it a pointless Policy.

OK, I’m gonna have to look into it further then. Mine is Admiral...hopefully MSC give us a clear checklist to take to our insurers and confirm (or deny).

Otherwise it’s gonna be a case of finding the correct single trip policy I suppose.