Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

3 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Aren't you all spitting in to a tube everyday?  If so I'd imagine (or hope) that's what caught her change in status. 

Or maybe the onboard testing isn't as full proof as advertised?  Shouldn't be hard to believe if the well published 'rules' aren't even being enforced?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Aren't you all spitting in to a tube everyday?  If so I'd imagine (or hope) that's what caught her change in status. 

So it was Viking saliva test that caught the positive case with their test?

Meanwhile,  the local newspaper not aware of it yet. They are happy  in their change in status. But Delta variant is on the island.

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210618/bermuda-upgraded-by-who-to-sporadic-cases/

Edited by Azulann

26 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Hey @MRGACRUZR.  I hope this doesn't screw up the rest of your cruise.  I'd imagine it's kind of the elephant in the room now.  

This really does emphasize the need for personal responsibility.  Had I been invited to Steve's soiree I'd have declined.  The other 34 had that option too.  Also, having known what took place I'd have avoided Steve and his troop like the plague if I saw them anywhere on the ship.  

If there's a positive to this it's to not let ourselves get lulled in to a false sense of security.  

I know everyone has different thoughts on all of this Covid stuff. We feel very comfortable having been vaccinated and following the protocols. We also feel comfortable with, what we believe to be, very minimal exposure and expect a "freak" positive to show up every once in a while, anywhere. If someone else, associated with that group, tests positive, we'll rethink our comfort zone. As of now, we're having the exact experience we were expecting, considering what we signed up for, an wasting zero energy on worrying about what is probably a one of. If we were awaiting a future cruise, this type of Viking lapse would probably make us think twice. We are rule followers and trusted Viking to follow their own rules. I've always said you can't trust cruise lines. We've always found disconnects between shoreline corporate and on board management. Left hand,, right hand. Watch out for yourself.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

I know everyone has different thoughts on all of this Covid stuff. We feel very comfortable having been vaccinated and following the protocols. We also feel comfortable with, what we believe to be, very minimal exposure and expect a "freak" positive to show up every once in a while, anywhere. If someone else, associated with that group, tests positive, we'll rethink our comfort zone. As of now, we're having the exact experience we were expecting, considering what we signed up for, an wasting zero energy on worrying about what is probably a one of. If we were awaiting a future cruise, this type of Viking lapse would probably make us think twice. We are rule followers and trusted Viking to follow their own rules. I've always said you can't trust cruise lines. We've always found disconnects between shoreline corporate and on board management. Left hand,, right hand. Watch out for yourself.

From your postings I think you and I share a worldview.  That's exactly how I'd take it.  

I started a new stand-alone topic highlighting what's happened.  Others on different Viking sailings should know.  I really want Viking to say something about all of this so the more visibility the better. 

• Like 3

The consequences of testing + , OR having been in close contact with a + person never occurred to me. I'm willing to take responsibility for my own actions and assume a level of risk that I'm comfortable with.

The idea that I might be riding in a van with someone who tests + and end up locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks???? Add in that in theory I test negative and no one has any symptoms????

That's a few ????? too many for me. I'll wait till my 2 week dead line but if I had to decide today I'd be out.

Frank

• Like 5

2 hours ago, shadowlover said:

Testing asymptomatic low risk persons for covid will lead to more of this.  There is no science showing that a vaccinated person who is asymptomatic and then tests positive for covid 19  poses any risk of transmission.

You can generally find any "Science" to prove whatever you believe, but at present the WHO and many other reputable health organisations are not making definitive statements, at this time.

Last I read is the WHO recommends that vaccinated persons have a significantly reduced risk in transmitting the virus. This is consistent with the messaging from our local Health Authority. They do not state the transmission risk is eliminated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Steve confirmed that on FB.

Pretty surecthe 4 in the van were friends and not strangers. I have to say if it was me, my wife and sister, I'd probably unmask, provided the driver was masked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pronsias OhAodha said:

The consequences of testing + , OR having been in close contact with a + person never occurred to me. I'm willing to take responsibility for my own actions and assume a level of risk that I'm comfortable with.

The idea that I might be riding in a van with someone who tests + and end up locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks???? Add in that in theory I test negative and no one has any symptoms????

That's a few ????? too many for me. I'll wait till my 2 week dead line but if I had to decide today I'd be out.

Frank

That's where we are too. Responsibility and consequences I can handle, consequences thru no fault of our own - pass.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Pretty surecthe 4 in the van were friends and not strangers. I have to say if it was me, my wife and sister, I'd probably unmask, provided the driver was masked.

I "assume" that Bermuda still requires masking in taxis and buses - I remember reading that in the past two days but don't remember where...

2 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Steve was in the owner’s suite and rumor has it you can arrange private excursions when occupying the suite.  If it was a private excursion then you can reasonably assume the other couple we’re friends (guests) of Steve.  I am hard pressed to believe that masks stayed on the entire time so there you have it!

12 minutes ago, Pronsias OhAodha said:

Frank

Yes sir!

3 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Steve was in the owner’s suite and rumor has it you can arrange private excursions when occupying the suite.  If it was a private excursion then you can reasonably assume the other couple we’re friends (guests) of Steve.  I am hard pressed to believe that masks stayed on the entire time so there you have it!

Only 1 tested positive the other three are out by "association" .  And there you have it.  Each country will have their own rules.  Roll the dice folks.

Just now, GonzoWCS said:

Yes sir!

and what about sitting next to a person on the plane for 3 hours that tests positive later on.  How do you enjoy a cruise when in the back of your mind you are thinking about did I test positive today ?

• Like 1

The Bermuda situation was to be expected.   None of the vaccines are 100% effective.  Look at the New York Yankees situation where the whole team was vaccinated.  Weeks later one team member was slightly sick, was tested and found positive for Covid.  As a result, the entire team was tested, and 7 others were found positive that were all asymptomatic (showing or feeling no effects of the virus). 

Even though everyone on our cruise is vaccinated, there is a good chance that with several of them they can still get the virus.   Since we are testing every day, the odds of someone being discovered positive are greater than at home where the only folks normally tested are those who need to get the test for travel or some other reason and those who are feeling symptoms.

The good news is that almost all folks that have been vaccinated and develop a breakthrough case of Covid are either asymptomatic or only get slightly ill and don't require hospitalization. 

I have said before on this board and I will say it again, I can think of no reasonable situation where any folks will be 100% protected against getting the virus, but Viking's standards make me feel that I am safer than moving around in my own community at home. On the cruise and at home each of us decide how much we want to exceed the minimum requirements of the situation we are in, such as how much we wear a mask, how much we social distance, what type of situations we place ourselves in, etc.  

I am very much looking forward to this cruise and the Bermuda situation has not dampened that excitement a bit.  It only reenforces the importance of having a health insurance policy that covers needing to be in quarantine or to receive treatment for the virus or any other medical situation in a foreign country.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Even if it wasn't a private tour, wouldn't you load up with your friends?

@Dukefan  You said this; " It only reenforces the importance of having a health insurance policy that covers needing to be in quarantine or to receive treatment for the virus or any other medical situation in a foreign country."  and I am just trying to understand that a health insurance policy will pay for the cost of a 14 day hotel quarantine?  I am asking because I truly don't know the answer.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Also, it's not rumor that you are entitled to a private tour if you are in the owners suite. What would be rumor is that was the case during exposure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, molymoo said:

I try to avoid regarding rumor as fact.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

and what about sitting next to a person on the plane for 3 hours that tests positive later on.  How do you enjoy a cruise when in the back of your mind you are thinking about did I test positive today ?

You will have the answer to that question when you wake up Wednesday morning. Be sure to check your SPAM mailbox for your Bermuda PCR results.

• Like 2

I for one, hope this blows up in Viking's face.  Not to wish ill-will, but a firestorm may be what it takes to get Viking to tighten up and enforce what they state.  Sadly, in our society, it seems that if you have money and/or are a mover and shaker, rules don't apply.

It would be different if the rule breakers were the ones who get punished, but the issue for those of us coming up is that you can be a complete innocent bystander and get nailed to quarantine.

We are completely stuck - on June 29th cruise and cannot cancel since our "COVID" insurance only covers us if "We" get tested positive, NOT if we are innocent bystanders.   We would cancel if we could and may still do so anyways.  I am appalled at Viking's behavior in this all - but have to think maybe it is a blessing in that it will go up to the Chairman himself and hopefully some needed changes take place.  Those of you who can still cancel are the lucky ones.

For us - it means no Viking Excursions, keep to ourselves, don't meet anyone on the ship, go onshore just with ourselves.  Which is alright - we'll save social interactions for 2022 cruises.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

Steve stated that it was a Viking excursion in a FB post the day before.

Was it a private excursion organized by Viking for the occupants of the owner suite, a mini van with four folks.?

Or an  Viking  excursion in a bus that that others took this week?