Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

16 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

"Go to Bermuda".  They are the travel branch of the Bermuda Government.  If you call the Bermuda covid hotline, they state to follow them too because the Bermuda gov web page hasn't been updated. It still says 5 days the pre travel pcr test.  The new timeline doesn't take effect until June 6.  I'm thinking they will change the government page then. The tourism site was just update yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I will go with the four day requirement, that is easier to meet than the three day.  seems a good compromise.  I don’t blame Bermuda for wanting to reduce the window from 5 days, they were getting cases coming in on airliners.

Four days should be easy to meet for east coasters, and not too tough for us westies.  I will still get the pricy same-day PCR test, but at least we now have an extra day to deal with snafus.

Agree.  Now the PCR test can be done on the Friday before the cruise.  Much easier to find one because many ( at least in my area) are only open Mon-Fri

Oh, horrors of horrors, due to covid American Airlines, at least, has suspended pre-flight cocktails in first and biz.  Oh the humanity 😞

Sipping a scotch while the huddled masses slink past was one of life’s greatest rewards....

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Haha 2

Since no benefit to boarding early in first/biz, we will hang out far from the gate until the last of the unwashed have boarded, and then will assume our thrones.

Except on our transcon, where we scored biz seats in the mini-cabin forward of the entry door.  Almost as good as first on the 777.  Only downside is you don’t get to watch the down-trodden masses heading to their torture racks.

Since I've gotten two separate answers on this directly from Viking on different dates, I wanted to ask here what you know to be true/accurate(if that even exists anymore).

If we make it to Bermuda and to the ship, I understand Viking will test us at the port before we can board.  If we test positive at that point will we get our money back from Viking or are we SOL?  All this is under the assumption that travel insurance wasn't purchased, btw.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Triptkr

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Since I've gotten two separate answers on this directly from Viking on different dates, I wanted to ask here what you know to be true/accurate(if that even exists anymore).

If we make it to Bermuda and to the ship, I understand Viking will test us at the port before we can board.  If we test positive at that point will we get our money back from Viking or are we SOL?  All this is under the assumption that travel insurance wasn't purchased, btw.

Thanks in advance!

AS stated in other posts,  Section f under "Public Health; Acknowledgment and Acceptance of Risks; COVID-19 Policies and Procedures." in the "BOOKING AND SALE TERMS AND CONDITIONS" states 

"If you are denied embarkation because of an infection, confirmed by a medical test, with COVID-19 or other communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed to comply with its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or your Passenger Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid as Cruise Fare or, at your election, a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid as Cruise Fare, subject to your providing satisfactory verification of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by Carrier. If you are denied embarkation because Carrier, in its sole discretion, suspects you may be infected with COVID-19 or other  communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed...(etc)"

So you will get your money back or a FCC.  It is also addressed in the passenger ticket contract.

32 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

From the Ts&Cs it seems they will refund based on a positive test.  But there are a lot of weasel words in there.  I’ll add that to my question list.

Right - what about if the pre-test is positive?

40 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Right - what about if the pre-test is positive?

This stuff is all in the Terms and Conditions as well as in the Passenger ticket contract.

f. Confirmed Or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Embarkation. You agree that if, at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation or during embarkation procedures, you test positive for COVID-19, you exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that you are unfit to embark due to COVID-19 or any other communicable disease, Carrier will deny you embarkation. You further agree that if, within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, you and/or any persons travelling with you have had contact with or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed as having or anyone subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19 or other communicable disease, you may be subject to medical evaluation and denied embarkation. If you are denied embarkation because of an infection, confirmed by a medical test, with COVID-19 or other communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed to comply with its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or your Passenger Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid as Cruise Fare or, at your election, a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid as Cruise Fare, subject to your providing satisfactory verification of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by Carrier. If you are denied embarkation because Carrier, in its sole discretion, suspects you may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed

5 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

This stuff is all in the Terms and Conditions as well as in the Passenger ticket contract.

f. Confirmed Or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Embarkation. You agree that if, at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation or during embarkation procedures, you test positive for COVID-19, you exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that you are unfit to embark due to COVID-19 or any other communicable disease, Carrier will deny you embarkation. You further agree that if, within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, you and/or any persons travelling with you have had contact with or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed as having or anyone subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19 or other communicable disease, you may be subject to medical evaluation and denied embarkation. If you are denied embarkation because of an infection, confirmed by a medical test, with COVID-19 or other communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed to comply with its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or your Passenger Ticket Contract, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid as Cruise Fare or, at your election, a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount you paid as Cruise Fare, subject to your providing satisfactory verification of results of any tests administered by providers other than those retained by Carrier. If you are denied embarkation because Carrier, in its sole discretion, suspects you may be infected with COVID-19 or other communicable disease, unless Carrier determines that you have failed

I also seem to recall reading that if you test positive on embarkation that they will retest to confirm. So those worried about a false positive (at least at the point of Viking doing the testing) will have an opportunity to be retested.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's help with my prior question.  I did find this on the Viking website which points towards the positive.  It says nothing in the highlighted statement about having to have trip insurance in order to attain refund/credit as I was told before by a Viking TA.  

My other question would be: what happens if you test positive prior to leaving home in the test that we have to take 3 or 4 days prior?  According to this FAQ, the question is not answered as it pertains directly to embarkation.  Bafinegan has provided the most direct answer to my second question.  Just wish Viking would put more specifics out there on their website so people could view things prior to booking.

image.thumb.png.28cb6894fee51953c2d32e1c03f11f58.png

32 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Hoot Hoot !!!!  Viking Orion will be  sitting in the Great Sound off Hamilton Bermuda on Friday.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210519/viking-cruises-home-port-cruise-ship-to-arrive-on-friday/

Gonna be lonely with that big old ship being at least half empty.  I wonder if they will close any of the venues?  I hope they keep the number of bar tenders the same...

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

I appreciate everyone's help with my prior question.  I did find this on the Viking website which points towards the positive.  It says nothing in the highlighted statement about having to have trip insurance in order to attain refund/credit as I was told before by a Viking TA.  

My other question would be: what happens if you test positive prior to leaving home in the test that we have to take 3 or 4 days prior?  According to this FAQ, the question is not answered as it pertains directly to embarkation.  Bafinegan has provided the most direct answer to my second question.  Just wish Viking would put more specifics out there on their website so people could view things prior to booking.

image.thumb.png.28cb6894fee51953c2d32e1c03f11f58.png

Its there too.  Read post #639.  I copied/pasted the pertinent section in response to another's question.

Edited by bafinegan
clarification

33 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Gonna be lonely with that big old ship being at least half empty.  I wonder if they will close any of the venues?  I hope they keep the number of bar tenders the same...

The article stated the first cruise  would run at half capacity.    Not sure if tht means all the cruises would be the same.

We are on the first cruise - “The Guinea Pigs”.

It is surprising that with a supposedly reduced pax count that the shore-ex sold out so quickly.  Spa also.

But as Jim Avery has said, we should be able to book more things once on-board.

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The ship is currently showing an ETA of 14:00 on Friday.

I wonder if they would let us on a couple of days early 🙂

Their bartenders are likely rusty, and us early birds could help them get up to speed by the 15th...

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, Heidi13 said:

Many of us find we get much more timely responses when sending questions to tellus@vikingcruises.com

One recent evening, I sent a note to them, receiving a call from them at 09:00 the next morning.

Here's one for you - has anyone encountered this?

We were talking with our Travel Agent about possibly cancelling our June 29 Bermuda cruise due to the uncertainly.   We used Viking Air.

She said that Viking is now saying that anything cancelled even outside the 14 day risk free guarantee will result in a $350 per person airline cancellation penalty fee.  So the Risk Free is not Risk Free - you still have to pay the airlines the monstrous penalty.

I have a hard time believe this as we were led to believe that the Risk Free Guarantee applies to all the items purchased through Viking.

Anyone else heard of this?

Maybe it's a new thing with Viking now to hide these fees and keep people from cancelling.