What can I expect to happen if cruise not cancelled and final payment due?

bubbapk1

We had booked the 12 night British Isles cruise from Amsterdam (May, 2020). We thought we were being smart by grabbing a FCC before they officially cancelled the cruise. Nonetheless, the other couples in our group waited and either got a refund or 125% FCC. Oh well, sucks, but moving ahead. We then saw an opportunity to use the FCC on a July, 2021 cruise around the British Isles, so we booked it. The cruise leaves July 30 out of Amsterdam. Currently we can't even travel there. Our final payment is due May 1st. They just cancelled thru June 30. 

Here is what I am wondering. If they don't cancel the July cruises until after my final payment, and I make the payment. Does the full cost of the cruise go into a FCC automatically? The only available next cruise around the British Isles in next year in May, 2022. Does it make sense that if they cancel the July cruise, that I immediately book the 2022 cruise so that I don't miss out? 

We have flights thru Delta directly as I used miles, not Celebrity. I think I can get a refund of those miles....

I truly expect the cruise to get canceled, probably because the Netherlands will not be open. Is there any advice anyone has for us?

50 minutes ago, bubbapk1 said:

Does the full cost of the cruise go into a FCC automatically?

According to the FAQ on Celebrity’s site, whatever you paid using FCC will revert back to FCC but with the new dates for using that FCC. Anything you paid beyond that FCC will be eligible for the 125% offer. So let’s say cruise fare was $5000 and you used FCC for $4000 and paid $1000. The $4000 would revert back to FCC plus you would get an additional $1250 in FCC. You would end up with $5250 in FCC. I just had a back to back in June cancelled and I mostly paid for them with FCC from last year too. What I described is what I’m expecting but won’t know until mid May for sure. That’s when they say FCC will be issued.

Note that taxes and fees are refunded in the original form of payment and will not get the 125% option. Also note that anything you paid for such as excursions or onboard experiences get refunded as a different type of credit, not an FCC that can be used for future cruise fare. I think those are PCP, or Pre-Cruise Purchases and the credit is similar to OBC. The applicable FAQ says "They are not required to use an onboard credit received for canceled pre-cruise purchases on a specific sailing. Their onboard credit will stand alone as a unique credit and must be applied by April 30, 2022 on a sailing departing on or before September 30, 2022. After April  30, 2022, any unused onboard credits expire and have no value.

10 minutes ago, bubbapk1 said:

Got it. Sounds like the cruise in May, 2022 is doable with the credit as long as I book it before April 30, 2022 (which I would have to anyway). Thank you.

Yes.     In addition any monies paid over your FCC would also be eligible to be refunded vs 125% FCC.   Recent cancellations have had the offer to move to another cruise a year later at a protected per date rate and perks, that may be attractive given what's going on with pricing lately.

8 minutes ago, bubbapk1 said:

So, do you recommend I make my last payment now rather than May 1st? That way if they do cancel it between those dates, I can get 125% of the amount over my FCC?

My recommendation would be to do whatever you feel most comfortable with, I would not recommend how anyone spend such a large sum of $, tough decision I am sure.  When I am faced with these types of decisions, once I decide, I just look forward and accept that what will be, will be.  Good luck!!

1 hour ago, bubbapk1 said:

So, do you recommend I make my last payment now rather than May 1st? That way if they do cancel it between those dates, I can get 125% of the amount over my FCC?

That is essentially what I did. I had one cruise scheduled over the 2020 Holidays that looked likely to be cancelled, but I also have a cruise for late this year. I made final payment on the first cruise and gambled that I might get the 125% FCC which I could apply to the second cruise. The fare on that second cruise was locked in, so I looked at it as getting a 25% return on my investment. So far it has worked out. But I would not recommend that someone do this if they don't have the money to spare for that long, or if the second cruise is likely to see a hike that would consume that 25%. There is something to be said for the peace of mind having recovered the initial funds. If my second cruise is also cancelled, then I need to find space in a limited window on a cruise that might no be my first choice.

We have a Europe cruise booked for early October.  Final payment is early July unless all countries on our itinerary are open to US tourists on final payment date we will cancel.  

We have 3 FCCs we need to use so the way I look at X has enough of my money.   We have some 2022 cruises booked  on another line to areas X doesn’t sail so more FCCs are of no value  but cash in my pocket is.

• Like 3