Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

14 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I would be very grateful to those of you cruising before my 8/3 sailing if you would learn what you can about communal dining tables while on your cruise. I’m traveling solo and am concerned that in their zeal to maintain physical distancing during meals there won’t be any shared tables for singles and I will be required to eat all meals alone. This is an not an issue in the WC but in specialty restaurants I’m not likely to find a random open seat at someone’s dinner table.
I don’t mind eating alone most meals but there are some times when I’m in the mood for company. so, keep an eye open for solo travelers and please share anything you learn. I hope you have a terrific time and are able to book all the excursions you want.

Thanks! Pat.

Pat, we will report on it but in the meantime, may I suggest a heart to heart with the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com to ask them what Viking has in mind for solo travelers. 

In the meantime, some of us on the earlier cruises have been busily arranging dinner dates with other roll call members, with the hope that we will be accommodated once on board.  I know your roll call is slow right now never too soon to get the ball rolling.  

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Pat, we will report on it but in the meantime, may I suggest a heart to heart with the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com to ask them what Viking has in mind for solo travelers. 

In the meantime, some of us on the earlier cruises have been busily arranging dinner dates with other roll call members, with the hope that we will be accommodated once on board.  I know your roll call is slow right now never too soon to get the ball rolling.  

An excellent suggestion re: tellus, thank you. Yeah, my rollcall is pretty quiet right now but I’m keeping my eye on it.

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

We are on the July 10th cruise but we are also staying at the Hotel Borg before going to the ship.

Be prepared:  Downtown Reykjavik is notorious for its Friday night and Saturday night pub crawl -- and Hotel Borg is right in the center of the action. Your cruise leaves on Saturday, so the night before will be a crawl night. Don't rely on double-paned windows to keep out the noise -- bring the best ear plugs you can find/buy if you want a good night's sleep. (For more accounts of crawl noise, read the Borg reviews on Tripadvisor.)  

6 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Be prepared:  Downtown Reykjavik is notorious for its Friday night and Saturday night pub crawl -- and Hotel Borg is right in the center of the action. Your cruise leaves on Saturday, so the night before will be a crawl night. Don't rely on double-paned windows to keep out the noise -- bring the best ear plugs you can find/buy if you want a good night's sleep. (For more accounts of crawl noise, read the Borg reviews on Tripadvisor.)  

Perhaps that’s why Dukefan has booked that hotel?  Maybe he likes being close to the action! 
🍸🥃🍹🍷🍻🍺🥂🍾🍹🍸🍷🍺

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Thanks, you have been helpful.   We are averaging about 10 cases per 100,000 population per day and the puts our 7-day average at 70 and our 14 day average at about 140.  This puts us in the red.  So my poor memory has moved us from Green to Orange to Red. It appears we now know that  USA 14-day notification rate at around 140 cases per 100,000 and the test positivity rate at around 7.6%.

The full table for coding if anyone is interested is:

green: if the 14-day notification rate is lower than 25 cases per 100 000 and the test positivity rate below 4%;

orange:  if the 14-day notification rate is lower than 50 cases per 100 000 but the test positivity rate is 4% or higher or, if the 14-day notification rate is between 25 and 150 cases per 100 000 and the test positivity rate is below 4%;

red: if the 14-day cumulative COVID-19 case notification rate ranges from 50 to 150 and the test positivity rate of tests for COVID-19 infection is 4% or more, or if the 14-day cumulative COVID-19 case notification rate is more than 150 but less than 500;

dark red: if the 14-day cumulative COVID-19 case notification rate is 500 or more;

grey: if there is insufficient information or if the testing rate is lower than 300 cases per 100 000.

Maybe by the end of June or in July, we can make it to green or orange.

Thanks everyone for helping with this exercise.

Wow. Amazing to think that just 10 cases for every 100K people is red zone. 

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Perhaps that’s why Dukefan has booked that hotel?  Maybe he likes being close to the action! 
🍸🥃🍹🍷🍻🍺🥂🍾🍹🍸🍷🍺

Thanks to the included Silver Spirits package, the Iceland cruises will be traveling pub crawls! I can only imagine what everyone will look like as they stumble down the gangway when disembarking.

32 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Hopefully I'll get my tests results back and be able to participate in the Friday Night Pub Crawl!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EJLobster said:

So many numbers- when I looked up the positivity rate in US-  I saw that it is now 3%.   https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

But it is a moving target- can change considerably before you embark.

3% would be wonderful!   It would put us in orange even if the we can't get the USA 14-day notification rate down enough to qualify for green status!

37 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

That may be true in normal times and we are 'hoping' for normal times but as of now there will be no late night pub crawls. Please see what I placed in red text.

The source is:

https://www.icelandair.com/blog/iceland-is-open-faq/

In an attempt to control the outbreak and minimize the strain on the healthcare system, Iceland has implemented various testing and tracing measures, together with social gathering bans and social distancing measures. Details of the measures are outlined at 'Restrictions in effect' on covid.is.

From May 10, 2021, the following rules apply:

• The general gathering limit is 50 people. 
  • The 2-meter social distancing rule and the obligation to wear face masks remain in place.
  • Stores have limits on customer numbers based on their size (up to a maximum of 200 customers).
  • Restriction numbers do not apply to public transport and domestic flights.
  • Swimming pools, spas and gyms may open with some limitations (75% of capacity).
  • Cinemas, performing arts and cultural/sporting events may have up to 75 participants and 150 persons (seated) in the audience.
  • Restaurants, bars and cafes may admit up to 50 guests and must close by 11pm (no new guests permitted after 10pm).
  • Face masks must be worn where it is not possible to ensure a 2-meter social distance.

Face masks are required on board Icelandair aircraft. In public spaces in Iceland, masks must be worn where the 2-meter social distancing rules cannot be respected, including on domestic flights and ferries and on public transport such as buses. Most stores and services require that face masks are worn.

2 hours ago, jtwind said:

Yes.  Great plan. That's why we're considering.  But I'm hoping to find out if letting people on the ship before the results from the airport test comes back (as someone suggested upthread) is really part of the plan?  Sure, you get a rapid test at the terminal.  And that might be enough.  But I bet Viking is counting on folks not showing up at the terminal before that 1st test comes back.  Maybe not.  Someone will hopefully post that info from a reliable source.

jtwind which date are you considering for the cruise?    Unless it is the June 26 date, you will have detailed information from the folks on that cruise on what they experienced.  The later your cruise, the more information you will have since I know folks on the first three cruises have folks that have agreed to publish their experience on airport arrival, transportation, hotel quarantining, boarding, activities, meals, excursions, etc. to a certain Viking Iceland Live Cruise Critic site starting even before the first cruise.

7 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

• Restaurants, bars and cafes may admit up to 50 guests and must close by 11pm (no new guests permitted after 10pm).

I guess if I get to join the pub crawl it will be an early, very short pub crawl!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Thanks to the included Silver Spirits package, the Iceland cruises will be traveling pub crawls! I can only imagine what everyone will look like as they stumble down the gangway when disembarking.

Not on the first 4 sailings. Most of us booked long before the new promo was announced.☹️

However, there was special discount on offer at the time we booked that more than makes up for missing the booze promo.

6 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

I guess if I get to join the pub crawl it will be an early, very short pub crawl!

Due to the high price of pub beers and drinks, many Icelanders do their serious drinking at home, with the firewater they’ve purchased at retail. Then they hit the town all liquored up and ready to make noise. Don’t worry about the closing hours of pubs and bars — the Icelandic version of the crawl will be in full swing into the wee hours.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

a certain Viking Iceland Live Cruise Critic site starting even before the first cruise.

My calendar is marked. I will be opening the thread around June 21 to allow those who are arriving in advance of the cruise to share their airport/flight/airport experiences ASAP.

In the meantime, start thinking about specific questions you would like to have answered. Here is the list I started. Please add to it. I'll  paste it into the live thread when I start it up.

• Will guest services be able to break large kronur bills for us?
  • How many days in the Chef's Table rotation -- and how many menus are they offering?
  • How cabins are booked?

26 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

That may be true in normal times and we are 'hoping' for normal times but as of now there will be no late night pub crawls. Please see what I placed in red text.

The source is:

In an attempt to control the outbreak and minimize the strain on the healthcare system, Iceland has implemented various testing and tracing measures, together with social gathering bans and social distancing measures. Details of the measures are outlined at 'Restrictions in effect' on covid.is.

• The 2-meter social distancing rule and the obligation to wear face masks remain in place.
  • Stores have limits on customer numbers based on their size (up to a maximum of 200 customers).
  • Swimming pools, spas and gyms may open with some limitations (75% of capacity).
  • Cinemas, performing arts and cultural/sporting events may have up to 75 participants and 150 persons (seated) in the audience.
  • Face masks must be worn where it is not possible to ensure a 2-meter social distance.

Face masks are required on board Icelandair aircraft. In public spaces in Iceland, masks must be worn where the 2-meter social distancing rules cannot be respected, including on domestic flights and ferries and on public transport such as buses. Most stores and services require that face masks are worn.

26 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

The source is:

Oh yes there will be a crawl, at least the Icelandic version of one. See my comment above in response to Dukefan. 

• Like 1

We paid the posted fares that are currently being advertised with the added package so there is no discount. Just pinged my TA to see if there's anything he can do - but since timing was tight to begin with the full payment was due at time of booking. I'm not feeling hopeful - but if I do get any positive response/results I'll post it here and on the 8/3 board.

2 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

We paid the posted fares that are currently being advertised with the added package so there is no discount. Just pinged my TA to see if there's anything he can do - but since timing was tight to begin with the full payment was due at time of booking. I'm not feeling hopeful - but if I do get any positive response/results I'll post it here and on the 8/3 board.

Don't hold your breath. Viking rarely honors (if ever) such requests. Once a promo is gone, it is gone. If they give it to you, they have to give it anyone else who asks, and that is not how they do business. They will no more give you the discount that I got as they would give me the drinks package that you got.

50 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Don't hold your breath. Viking rarely honors (if ever) such requests. Once a promo is gone, it is gone. If they give it to you, they have to give it anyone else who asks, and that is not how they do business. They will no more give you the discount that I got as they would give me the drinks package that you got.

Actually when I saw the silver sprits promo, i called Viking directly.  The agent was ready to rebook me with the promo with the same cabin. In my situation it turned out I had the previous promo price so it was not worth it.   So I think getting the silver spirit package is doable.

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

In the meantime, start thinking about specific questions you would like to have answered. Here is the list I started. Please add to it. I'll  paste it into the live thread when I start it up.

Is there a morning coffee station set up at the Explorer’s Lounge? 

• Thanks 1

Here is what I just found on the UK cruise site which is the first cruises Viking has sailing:

"Key points from the latest update received by email from Viking:

• Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, passengers will be provided with a welcome pack containing a cruise card and a contact-tracing dongle.
  • After passing through security, a designated shuttle bus will transfer passengers to the ship. Passengers will then proceed to their stateroom where they will be required to provide a saliva sample. Passengers are asked to refrain from consuming any food or beverage item or smoking for at least one hour before submitting the saliva sample.
  • While waiting for the test results, vaccinated guests will be able to use the public spaces onboard while observing current mask and social distancing requirements, or they may remain in their statement and enjoy a welcome snack and complimentary refreshments.
  • Passengers will be tested periodically on board the ship as required by Viking.
  • All guests must leave the ship by 8:30AM on the morning of departure."