Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

20 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Still haven’t gotten ours.  I guess I will have to call the TA this afternoon.  She’s just back from vacation, so I’ll give her e few hours to catch up.  Just want to make sure they do t have other instructions about sending in the proof of vaccination.

There isn’t anything on there about that. We did get another email about requirements to travel, but it links to the same info from 24 May

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

I just hope that Icelandic airport authorities won't single me out as they did for years as THAT GUY.
In past decades, every time I hit Heathrow, Frankfort etc. I would be called out of line, surrounded by 3 or so security personnel who questioned me for 15 minutes and searched my carry on. My best guess was that my red hair and whatever had me somehow profiled as an IRA type person. Hair no longer red.

I'll have to remember not to stand near you at the airport! 🙂

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, EJLobster said:

Someone , pages ago, recommended this book- and I just finished the audio book- I highly recommend it- informative and entertaining!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81wrRWXGVgL._AC_UY218_.jpg

How Iceland changed the World- A Big history of a Small Island

How Iceland Changed the World: The Big History of a Small Island

It's a fun book.

I've also been reading a lot of Icelandic authors. Enjoy reading about places we've been (or are going to visit). Favorites are Ragnar Jonasson, Arnaldur Indridason, and Quentin Bates. Got a few more on the pile to read from Arni Thorarinsson and Yrsa Sigurdardottir. Good thing we have e-books; I could never carry all of these around!

• Like 3

If anyone has an interest in bird watching, Merilin is a really handy app.  It's published by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and has "Packs" specific to regions.  They just happen to have one for Iceland. 

Available for Apple or Android phones.  It's free, but you have to provide your email address so they can pester you for donations.  Look in your app store under "Merlin".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I just hope that Icelandic airport authorities won't single me out as they did for years as THAT GUY.
In past decades, every time I hit Heathrow, Frankfort etc. I would be called out of line, surrounded by 3 or so security personnel who questioned me for 15 minutes and searched my carry on. My best guess was that my red hair and whatever had me somehow profiled as an IRA type person. Hair no longer red.

Must have been the sunglasses!

20 hours ago, shipster60 said:

We have rented a car through Enterprise to be picked up at the Airport and dropped off at Skarfabakki Harbour.  Does anyone know where the Enterprise drop off location is compared to the Viking port? 

A few people have commented that they have done the same. I made a direct call to the Keflavik airport Enterprise office. They said the Enterprise facility at the port is still closed and probably will be in July. The closest drop off location is at a bus terminal that's a 10 min. drive from the port.  We would then need to take a bus or taxi to the port. I wanted to report this for those that assumed, like us, that if they let you choose the port drop off location online, it would be available. 

We've decided against this route. Our goal was to go to the Blue Lagoon after arriving at 7 am on the way to the port. We thought a rental car would allow us to do a little touring of Reykjavik on our way. We're now renting a private car with driver from AirportDirect. It will cost a little more but will be easier for us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots to report on our arrival today in Iceland. The flight was half an hour early, meaning we were off our IcelandAir plane (only about 1/3 full) before 6 am local time. Mostly cloudy, temperature in the mid-30s with a brutal wind, brrrr!

Even though other flights arrived at the same time, the airport didn’t feel especially crowded. Only a few minutes to go through passport check. Beginning in Seattle, we were asked multiple times for our CDC card and our pre-registration bar code, but each time our documents passed with flying colors. 

The last step was the Covid test. This was my 4th test — unlike the first three, this was two-part, down the throat and up the nose. Not especially pleasant (especially the nasal part), but at least it’s over. Then it was off to get our rental car for our 100-mile drive to the Hotel Anna on the South Coast, where we have an apartment for the next 3 nights. That nap sure felt good!

Unfortunately, it’s been 11 hours since our test and we’re still waiting for results. Much longer than what we expected given the short lines and accounts by other travelers. Now we have to decide what to do about dinner at the hotel. 

More later as we explore this beautiful country over the next 16 days!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Someone , pages ago, recommended this book- and I just finished the audio book- I highly recommend it- informative and entertaining!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81wrRWXGVgL._AC_UY218_.jpg

How Iceland changed the World- A Big history of a Small Island

How Iceland Changed the World: The Big History of a Small Island

Definitely worth the read.  Thanks to whoever recommended it in the first place.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

If anyone has an interest in bird watching, Merilin is a really handy app.  It's published by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and has "Packs" specific to regions.  They just happen to have one for Iceland. 

Available for Apple or Android phones.  It's free, but you have to provide your email address so they can pester you for donations.  Look in your app store under "Merlin".

Thanks, Donaghadee!  Just added to my apps.  I suppose we will have walk around WIFI while we are watching and identifying birds???

7 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

Thanks, Donaghadee!  Just added to my apps.  I suppose we will have walk around WIFI while we are watching and identifying birds???

Funny, but ah, no.  The ID software is resident on your phone.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Lots to report on our arrival today in Iceland. The flight was half an hour early, meaning we were off our IcelandAir plane (only about 1/3 full) before 6 am local time. Mostly cloudy, temperature in the mid-30s with a brutal wind, brrrr!

Even though other flights arrived at the same time, the airport didn’t feel especially crowded. Only a few minutes to go through passport check. Beginning in Seattle, we were asked multiple times for our CDC card and our pre-registration bar code, but each time our documents passed with flying colors. 

The last step was the Covid test. This was my 4th test — unlike the first three, this was two-part, down the throat and up the nose. Not especially pleasant (especially the nasal part), but at least it’s over. Then it was off to get our rental car for our 100-mile drive to the Hotel Anna on the South Coast, where we have an apartment for the next 3 nights. That nap sure felt good!

Unfortunately, it’s been 11 hours since our test and we’re still waiting for results. Much longer than what we expected given the short lines and accounts by other travelers. Now we have to decide what to do about dinner at the hotel. 

I heard about the test and its unpleasantness...  ugh.  Oh  how I hope by July 10th we don't have to have that done!!  Wishing you luck - that is much longer than what has been stated as the wait time for the test result.  Does the hotel have room service? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Thank you for the info.  Did you fly Icelandair?  If so, how was the temperature on the plane.  We are also arriving at 6:15 am on July 20th (embarkation day) and are thinking about wearing fleece lined pants we found at Eddie Bauer on the plane. That way we would be warm enough, along with our jackets, until we are able to get into our cabin.

Carolyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipster60 said:

A few people have commented that they have done the same. I made a direct call to the Keflavik airport Enterprise office. They said the Enterprise facility at the port is still closed and probably will be in July. The closest drop off location is at a bus terminal that's a 10 min. drive from the port.  We would then need to take a bus or taxi to the port. I wanted to report this for those that assumed, like us, that if they let you choose the port drop off location online, it would be available. 

We've decided against this route. Our goal was to go to the Blue Lagoon after arriving at 7 am on the way to the port. We thought a rental car would allow us to do a little touring of Reykjavik on our way. We're now renting a private car with driver from AirportDirect. It will cost a little more but will be easier for us. 

We are renting from Iceland Car Rental.  They have an office in Reyjavik and at the airport.  Our plan is to taxi from ship to office to pick up car then we will return the car at the airport right before we check in for our flight back home. 

4 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

My wife just added Merlin to her phone. You have to give it access to your pictures. She's having fun with all the bird pictures she has on her phone. Also had to load a pac for the area.

That's odd about wanting access to your pictures.  The iteration I have (2019) asked for but was given no access to anything.  I would have deleted it otherwise.  Maybe I'm funny that way...

1 hour ago, shipster60 said:

Thanks for up update. Yes, we had been hopeful when the port was listed as a drop-off location that it would work out perfectly. We might keep things as they are for awhile. Our cruise is still over 4 weeks away. Since we arrive a day early, we had hoped to use the car to do some touring, and then drop it off in the early evening on embarkation day. 

Recent post from DaveSJ711 (Post #1860) who is in Iceland now is very disconcerting --  reporting that it has been over 11 ours and still no Covid test results given. Yikes! I had been hoping worst case scenario might be 4 or 5 hours. So much is still up in the air. Hoping for more reporting from folks on the earlier cruises.

2 hours ago, Donaghadee said:

Thanks for that info! We re doing 2 shore excursions (Vigur amd Heimaey) where we hope to see a variety of birds so this app will be very handy.  

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Looked at your flight on flightradar24 and saw that your flight landed on Runway 02. Curious if you were able to see the volcano on the right side of the plane when landing? Flightime was 6 hrs 50 min on TF-FIC.

16 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Looked at your flight on flightradar24 and saw that your flight landed on Runway 02. Curious if you were able to see the volcano on the right side of the plane when landing? Flightime was 6 hrs 50 min on TF-FIC.

Yes! The volcano was probably 8-10 miles away, off the plane’s right side, but we could see it puffing and spewing lava even from that distance. The landscape around and near Keflavik is very austere, so the plume of red lava around the volcano was very easy to see.

• Like 3