Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

6 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Now I remember why we don't go with the Silver Spirits Deal:

PV3+ cabins are restocked daily with soft drinks, 4 single serve bottles of strong stuff and a couple of cans of beer.  Then there's more beer and plenty of passable wine included with lunch and dinner...

I somehow feel obliged to consume all of it, and it's plenty.  Urp...

We took four Viking cruises in quick succession in 2019-20, and three of them were in the PV class. Just for fun, we took two of the leftover champagne bottles home with us, along with countless shots of gin, vodka and scotch that we squirreled away in our luggage. Did it make sense from a packing standpoint? Absolutely not! But still...urp.

1 hour ago, Donaghadee said:

Just wondering, how much do you have to drink to break even on the Silver Spirits package?

I know we looked at it years ago and came to the conclusion that our livers weren't up to the task.

Anything change?

I have never really done the math but it isn't just about  how much you drink. With the beverage package you get a far better selection of wines to choose from and the services of a wine steward to help you pick wines to go with your meals. This is great fun for me and I have tried some wines I would not have tried otherwise. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

With the included wines at dinner, do you have a choice other than yes, no, red, white? 

I remember the choices were quite limited maybe just to red or white with the selection changing every few days. Someone else might remember more specifics. As someone else mentioned they are drinkable for sure but I enjoy the variety and the pairing. 

14 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

With the included wines at dinner, do you have a choice other than yes, no, red, white? 

We have always had the SSP, but in talking with folks that haven't, they have told me that if they don't like the white or red wine of the day that they have been able to change it to another red or white wine, often times one that was serveed earlier.   The learning like everything else with Viking, if you don't like something, tell them and they will do their best to fix it.  This is especially true of the esch ships crew and service staff.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

We took four Viking cruises in quick succession in 2019-20, and three of them were in the PV class. Just for fun, we took two of the leftover champagne bottles home with us, along with countless shots of gin, vodka and scotch that we squirreled away in our luggage. Did it make sense from a packing standpoint? Absolutely not! But still...urp.

At the end of our Chilean fjords cruse in Valparaiso, December '19, my bride stashed around 20 little bottles of hooch in her suitcase.  She got busted by the Chilean customs guys.  She gave them a couple of bottles and they were happy.  Everyone had a good laugh.

7 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

We have always had the SSP, but in talking with folks that haven't, they have told me that if they don't like the white or red wine of the day that they have been able to change it to another red or white wine, often times one that was serveed earlier.   The learning like everything else with Viking, if you don't like something, tell them and they will do their best to fix it.  This is especially true of the esch ships crew and service staff.

That is true. On the rare occasion that we don’t take the SSP , i have asked for a different wine than what the waiter has brought to the table and it usually was one from the previous days.  One time, I did the upgraded wine pairing in the Chefs Table and the waiter just gave my husband the same upgraded wines even tough he didn’t purchase it . I think maybe because it was the last night of the cruise but still, I thought that was very nice of the waiter to do that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Seaharvest said:

With the beverage package you get a far better selection of wines to choose from 

I am really not a wine connoisseur so I may be very off base, but the one cruise that we had the package, I didn’t find the additional wines by the glass available under the package to be that much better. I will say, we both found whites and reds that we liked and tended to order those at meals. From what someone who was on that cruise who was a wine expert had to say, the really good stuff is only available by the bottle. As I recall, the SS package gives a discount on the bottle price. 

I have found that the Wine Stewards (I don't believe they are certifed Sommeliers) at both the Chef's Table and Manfredi's are well trained and good at finding a wine by the glass that you will like. Give them the type of wine you enjoy and they will often bring out a few bottles, unless they are really busy, for you to taste if you are on the SSP so you can choose something you like.   Another advantage of the SSP, is that you can select a different wine with each course.  I will often ask the Wine Steward in Manfredi's to pair a wine with each course that they would recommend.  I have seldom been disapointed.  Of course, at the Chef's Table they always pair a different wine with each course, even if you are not on the SSP.

Given the lack of available times for specialty dining, we will have dinner in the restaurant.  DH drinks very little alcohol, so we will not get the  package.  I'm more concerned with the included wines at dinner in the restaurant.  Who serves the included wines?  

Edited by Travel2Learn

While on the subject of the SSP, are there any exceptions allowed to the requirement that both passengers in the stateroom have to choose the package? I have a spouse who is unable to drink alcohol (yeah, I know, hard to accept) so it doesn't make sense to purchase a benefit she cannot enjoy.

49 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

Given the lack of available times for specialty dining, we will have dinner in the restaurant.  DH drinks very little alcohol, so we will not get the  package.  I'm more concerned with the included wines at dinner in the restaurant.  Who serves the included wines?  

I’m pretty sure it’s the same server who serves your meal.  If you have SS, seems like the sommelier usually assists at first.  Seems like one time they put the bottle in a chiller beside us so I suspect I served myself.  

51 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

While on the subject of the SSP, are there any exceptions allowed to the requirement that both passengers in the stateroom have to choose the package? I have a spouse who is unable to drink alcohol (yeah, I know, hard to accept) so it doesn't make sense to purchase a benefit she cannot enjoy.

I believe someone on these boards has reported that if it’s a medical condition you can be exempted from that. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will respond. 

52 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

are there any exceptions allowed to the requirement that both passengers in the stateroom have to choose the package?

I have NEVER heard of any.  I think that is a hard and fast rule.  So no, not worth it for one.  

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

3-4 drinks in the $5-6 range to spend $18-20 per day. SSP is a little less then $20 per day.

We found that the upgraded wines available for lunch and dinner (try the Mere Soleil Chardonny - $30.00 bottle locally) along with an afternoon cocktail more than justified it. Just don’t forget your liver supplements!

Cheers!

Clay and SantaFe, thanks for your responses. Upon reflection it would probably be more hassle than benefit. But it was nice to think of the possibility for a brief while. It will be easier to enjoy the included wine or beer and pay for the occasional extras. 

21 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

Clay and SantaFe, thanks for your responses. Upon reflection it would probably be more hassle than benefit. But it was nice to think of the possibility for a brief while. It will be easier to enjoy the included wine or beer and pay for the occasional extras. 

Dunno, note from doctor I would think.  But like I said, maybe some with personal knowledge will weigh in. You have plenty of time, you don’t have to buy it ahead of time (unless you’re trying to use up voucher money)

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I am really not a wine connoisseur so I may be very off base, but the one cruise that we had the package, I didn’t find the additional wines by the glass available under the package to be that much better. I will say, we both found whites and reds that we liked and tended to order those at meals. From what someone who was on that cruise who was a wine expert had to say, the really good stuff is only available by the bottle. As I recall, the SS package gives a discount on the bottle price. 

Bottles over $50 are discounted on the package.  15%

6 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

Thanks again, Clay. Maybe the best would be to discuss after boarding. 

Or contact tellus@vikingcruises.com now and ask them about it.  They will tell you how such an exemption works if at all and can probably take care of adding the package for one to your account if it is permitted. That way if there is any paperwork you need submitted it can be done before you leave home.  

• Like 1

I agree with Clay and Peregrina651, ask.  I would think if it is a medical situation, Viking would work with you on this especially if you tell them you would be willing to get something from the doctor if they needed it.  

5 hours ago, Donaghadee said:

Just wondering, how much do you have to drink to break even on the Silver Spirits package?

I know we looked at it years ago and came to the conclusion that our livers weren't up to the task.

Anything change?

At Viking prices, we don't bother to determine a break even point. When we booked a shorter cruise, the first thing added was the SS package, as the convenience of having options was worth the price. If we prefer a specific wine or beer, at lunch/dinner we can request it

However, other cruise lines that charge well over $60 pp/day, that is a different scanario and we would definitely determine the break even point.

• Like 4

On past cruises we have eaten most of our meals at at The Restaurant and request the same section every night so the wait staff and wine steward get to know us, our likes and dislikes so they can make recommendations. They would also sometimes challenge me to try something new and different.  The wine steward would ask us what we were getting for each course and then pair an appropriate wine with that course. He would tell me why he made this selection. It made every meal that much more fun and adventurous. Add a cocktail in the Explorer’s Lounge before dinner and the SSP more than paid for itself. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

At Viking prices, we don't bother to determine a break even point. When we booked a shorter cruise, the first thing added was the SS package, as the convenience of having options was worth the price. If we prefer a specific wine or beer, at lunch/dinner we can request it

However, other cruise lines that charge well over $60 pp/day, that is a different scanario and we would definitely determine the break even point.

I have always said that there are two reasons why people choose to get the beverage package. There are those who buy it because it saves them money and there are those who buy it for the convenience of it regardless of cost.  They are both valid reason for choosing the drinks package, because after all, it is your vacation, your money, your choice.

• Like 4