Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well our optional Shorex disappeared (7-17 sailing) but our included is there as well as restaurant reservations.  Comfort Check In gone from any sailing we have booked.  Go figure.

🤦‍♀️😪 they are really testing us....I'm not going to look on MVJ until I see posts here that it has all been fixed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

🤦‍♀️😪 they are really testing us....I'm not going to look on MVJ until I see posts here that it has all been fixed!

I’ve been unhappy that the shorex for 8/14 haven’t opened yet, but considering the instability of MVJ, I might be better off. 
Nevertheless, I’m sure that I’ll continue to obsessively check MVJ several times daily. Can’t help myself. 

4 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

I’ve been unhappy that the shorex for 8/14 haven’t opened yet, but considering the instability of MVJ, I might be better off. 
Nevertheless, I’m sure that I’ll continue to obsessively check MVJ several times daily. Can’t help myself. 

We are on the 7th August 2021 V.Sky and we received an email on Wednesday to say the excursions were open on our cruise for everyone.  I was in the same boat as you (metaphorically speaking) until then. So keep checking your emails. Good luck and fingers crossed Bon Voyage.

8 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

You're probably coming up soon.  Excursions for Aug. 3 opened up a week or two ago.  Watch for the email announcing it.  I got mine the day before.

-from another old geez in MD

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Been following the weather - barely in the 40's during daytime.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well our optional Shorex disappeared (7-17 sailing) but our included is there as well as restaurant reservations.  Comfort Check In gone from any sailing we have booked.  Go figure.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Just a heads up so we don’t have the confusion we did last week with United.  We fly one week from today.  Delta just sent us an email with a subject that read in bold:  COVID test needed for travel.  Then it sent us a link to the page that’s says it is NOT required for vaccinated pax going to Iceland.  It even had the updated info that testing to the airport would not be required after July 1.  

Just check out this site regularly https://www.isavia.is/en/keflavik-airport/about-kef/measures--related-to-covid-19

On 6/16/2021 at 4:05 AM, vslparis said:

Since we already have our e-docs and boarding pass with the QR code on there ( for those of us going  on 26 June ) it seems to me that the only place we will now need to show our vaccination card for Viking is at the pier during check in.  The window for them wanting it 14 days out

has shut 😉.

We are hopefully flying in from the UK in August.  Our guidance is very specific. A negative PCR check within 72 hrs of boarding. Proof of 2 Vaccs. We have an electronic QR code from our National Health Service App that details the jabs we've had. . On arrival at Kevlavik we have to have another PCR test and are not allowed to board until that is confirmed as negative. By August we may be either barred from Iceland because we are in 'another wave' or anyone who has had two jabs and a negative PCR will be allowed in.  I am hoping it  is the latter and that we can also wander around rather than always be on organised tours in pods. Ces't la vie

34 minutes ago, Queenie1603 said:

have another PCR test and are not allowed to board until that is confirmed as negative.

To set your mind at ease, most of us have heard the opposite.

If the test and quarantine requirement is still in effect, our only choice is to proceed to the ship and board for quarantine. There is no terminal building at the dock, so no place to wait for test results (and results can take up to 24 hrs). At most there will be a tent or some temporary structure to facilitate check-in. Once we board the ship, we are required to have yet another test (this is the one we thought Viking would administer before we could board the ship, but that has changed).

However, once we do board the ship, we are in a bubble and not permitted to leave the ship except with a Viking tour. Whether this will change, we do not know.

From the Viking document dated May 24 (https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210524-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US.pdf):

Embarkation Procedure (Iceland): Upon arrival, you will be required to take a COVID-19 test administered by the Icelandic Government. This test will be in addition to the embarkation test required by Viking.

Special Note: The ship is designated as an Iceland quarantine area for Viking guests. You will be transferred to your ship as you await confirmation of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result.

• Like 2

If anybody else is flying Saga Class on Icelandair, remember to pre-order your meals at meals.icelandair.com at least 48 hours beforehand. I wouldn't have known to do it if a friend who flies regularly on Icelandair hadn't tipped me off. Some of the choices sound fairly appealing--as airline meals go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news!  Just got this from Viking.  We are on the first cruise, so perhaps not every got it yet.  But it mirrors Bermuda, I believe.  

“As we monitor COVID-19 prevalence levels in every destination Viking visits, we are optimistic that that independent exploration will be allowed in countries where the COVID-19 concern Level is at 1 or 2. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently eased travel advisory levels in 110 countries and territories, specifically ranking Iceland as "Level 1" or the lowest for risk of COVID-19. Therefore, we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own, even if you are not participating in a Viking-operated shore excursion.”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Good news!  Just got this from Viking.  We are on the first cruise, so perhaps not every got it yet.  But it mirrors Bermuda, I believe.  

“As we monitor COVID-19 prevalence levels in every destination Viking visits, we are optimistic that that independent exploration will be allowed in countries where the COVID-19 concern Level is at 1 or 2. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently eased travel advisory levels in 110 countries and territories, specifically ranking Iceland as "Level 1" or the lowest for risk of COVID-19. Therefore, we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own, even if you are not participating in a Viking-operated shore excursion.”

Just received this too !  Trying not get get too giddy about it , but why not ! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vslparis said:

Just received this too !  Trying not get get too giddy about it , but why not ! 

My husband is dreaming of stops for local beer.  And then there is that rhubarb liquor,  And we can buy local crafts!  And just generally walk around!!

• Like 2

So between hearing about the administrator of that other page having to disembark their Bermuda cruise due to a contract trace with another passenger who tested positive on an excursion and purportedly having to quarantine for 14 days before retesting and then being able to return to the US and this relaxation of Viking’s bubble, I am getting concerned about what the cost will be to us of something similar happens. I haven’t done research yet on requirements for quarantine if we test negative (like the administrator did) but have been in contact with someone who tested positive. Has anyone else?

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

So between hearing about the administrator of that other page having to disembark their Bermuda cruise due to a contract trace with another passenger who tested positive on an excursion and purportedly having to quarantine for 14 days before retesting and then being able to return to the US and this relaxation of Viking’s bubble, I am getting concerned about what the cost will be to us of something similar happens. I haven’t done research yet on requirements for quarantine if we test negative (like the administrator did) but have been in contact with someone who tested positive. Has anyone else?

Well, life is an adventure these days, isn't it . As my mother always said, it is a great life if you don't weaken. 

This is something that we will see as we move forward ( and then backwards) in the Covid

era . It will all even out in the end, but right now one has to be realistic and take trip insurance 😉 

I'm still ready to leave next week for Iceland and then two weeks later for France. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, TayanaLorna said:

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The administrator made it clear in his post that the Bermudian government-not Viking- was requiring the removal of those in close contact, regardless of test results. But…do we know what in fact Viking would do without a government removal mandate? 

Edited by USI
Double posting of quotes
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Well, life is an adventure these days, isn't it . As my mother always said, it is a great life if you don't weaken. 

This is something that we will see as we move forward ( and then backwards) in the Covid

era . It will all even out in the end, but right now one has to be realistic and take trip insurance 😉 

I'm still ready to leave next week for Iceland and then two weeks later for France. 

I’ve got medical and trip interruption insurance but do you have insurance that is going to pay for 14 days of quarantining when you aren’t sick…or even testing positive for Covid?  

I don’t think such insurance exists. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mehroswitha said:

If anybody else is flying Saga Class on Icelandair, remember to pre-order your meals at meals.icelandair.com at least 48 hours beforehand. I wouldn't have known to do it if a friend who flies regularly on Icelandair hadn't tipped me off. Some of the choices sound fairly appealing--as airline meals go.

THANK YOU!!! Had no idea. Will look into it now.

18 minutes ago, USI said:

The administrator made it clear in his post that the Bermudian government-not Viking- was requiring the removal of those in close contact, regardless of test results. But…do we know what in fact Viking would do without a government removal mandate? 

Nope.  Methinks I will be getting in touch with Viking and ask for a response to this issue in writing. 

I did find this on the Iceland gov website. My reading is that if what happened to the administrator in Bermuda happened in Iceland, he wouldn’t have had to quarantine, only the passenger who tested positive. 

5909D1CC-E4D1-49BE-AC08-2072796E227B.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Perhaps they'll also skip daily testing too, which will remove a lot of my fear.  PCR tests have regular false positives, and if we get quarantined off ship simply for having shared a tour with someone who falsely tested positive, a lot of people may end up quarantining. Hopefully at least they'll require two positive tests to conclude someone is truly positive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Nope.  Methinks I will be getting in touch with Viking and ask for a response to this issue in writing. 

I did find this on the Iceland gov website. My reading is that if what happened to the administrator in Bermuda happened in Iceland, he wouldn’t have had to quarantine, only the passenger who tested positive. 

I don’t understand this. The first circle says that you have to quarantine if you are in contact with someone with COVID. Not sure what the second circle means?

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I read it differently. The first circled paragraph is what occurred to the administrator: he and his wife were in contact with someone who tested positive, ie someone with Covid19. According to this “You Quarantine”…the assumption being they’ve been exposed and are not yet symptomatic. Yes, we need Viking’s word on this. Very concerning. 

When I read about the unsubstantiated rumor about a couple got quarantined off Venus after being in a tour bus with someone tested positive, I still assumed the risk for us will be minimal. But after reading what happened to the FB admin and his wife, it hit way closer to home. The risk is real. Rethinking the July cruise. Perhaps Viking should get rid of the daily testing?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, once we do board the ship, we are in a bubble and not permitted to leave the ship except with a Viking tour. Whether this will change, we do not know.

WOW! How quickly things change. Six hours old and it is already obsolete -- well except for the line in the letter that says, the situation could change at any time so we have to check when we board.

8 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

When I read about the unsubstantiated rumor about a couple got quarantined off Venus after being in a tour bus with someone tested positive, I still assumed the risk for us will be minimal. But after reading what happened to the FB admin and his wife, it hit way closer to home. The risk is real. Rethinking the July cruise. Perhaps Viking should get rid of the daily testing?

We are rethinking too. ☹️