Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

5 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I think the photographs of the dinner party or the tea were from a few days ago after they were tested on initial arrival onboard and before the couple were put into quarantine in a hotel. As I understand it the couple are huge supporters of Viking and travel with them frequently so it’s not a surprise that they received an available upgrade. It appears that they organize group trips and are very popular on that date-not-say-their-name site.

Having a large group on a cruise ship is not uncommon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Having a large group on a cruise ship is not uncommon. 

It may have been common previously and obviously there is nothing to stop groups of individuals agreeing to book a cruise but I personally feel it could spoil the Zen like feel of our cruise experience if they meet as a large group too often whilst onboard. 

This would be my view pre Covid and even more so (and it should be actively discouraged) post Covid on these initial Welcome Back cruises. 

I am totally confused on why Viking permitted a gathering in the Owners Suite in the case being discussed widely on these boards and in that “other place”. I will await a Viking explanation on the whole episode. 

I am fortunate that I am on the July 31 departure and that the dust will have settled by then. I got all the ShoreX I wanted, by then testing on arrival at KEF should have been dropped and I will have the benefit of all the early Icelandic cruises to influence what I do when I have a spare morning to wonder ashore. 

I am fully aware that all this may change nearer the date as “events” unfold but we all face such challenges in our day to day lives and change plans if necessary. 

My heart goes out to those who have had their anxiety levels increased by events in Bermuda, especially those on departures over the next few weeks. 

So I suggest we all go to virtual Explorers Lounge and have our tipple of fancy whilst waiting for the dust to settle. We will meet like minded travellers who booked the cruise because of the announced protocols and some who booked it despite the previously announced protocols. As for any protocol relaxations introduced, some will be happy and some not so. Like most bars, some will view their glass half full, others half empty. 

Cheers! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here are two Iceland series you may want to watch:

On Amazon Prime are two seasons of Trapped.  Each season is a complete murder mystery - no cliff hanger to next season.  It is in Icelandic with English subtitles so gets you familiar with pronunciation and hearing the language.  The first season is centered around Seydisfjordur and Reykjavik.  The second season is around Akureyri and Reykjavik.  Both seasons are very engaging.

The other is an 8 episode series on Netflix called Katka.  It is filmed on the South coast and Vik.  The story is about strange happenings occurring during a volcanic eruption under a glacier.  We binge watched it over the last two evenings.

It was fun recognizing actors from Trapped in Katka.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

It may have been common previously and obviously there is nothing to stop groups of individuals agreeing to book a cruise but I personally feel it could spoil the Zen like feel of our cruise experience if they meet as a large group too often whilst onboard. 

This would be my view pre Covid and even more so (and it should be actively discouraged) post Covid on these initial Welcome Back cruises. 

I am totally confused on why Viking permitted a gathering in the Owners Suite in the case being discussed widely on these boards and in that “other place”. I will await a Viking explanation on the whole episode. 

I am fortunate that I am on the July 31 departure and that the dust will have settled by then. I got all the ShoreX I wanted, by then testing on arrival at KEF should have been dropped and I will have the benefit of all the early Icelandic cruises to influence what I do when I have a spare morning to wonder ashore. 

I am fully aware that all this may change nearer the date as “events” unfold but we all face such challenges in our day to day lives and change plans if necessary. 

My heart goes out to those who have had their anxiety levels increased by events in Bermuda, especially those on departures over the next few weeks. 

So I suggest we all go to virtual Explorers Lounge and have our tipple of fancy whilst waiting for the dust to settle. We will meet like minded travellers who booked the cruise because of the announced protocols and some who booked it despite the previously announced protocols. As for any protocol relaxations introduced, some will be happy and some not so. Like most bars, some will view their glass half full, others half empty. 

Cheers! 

Another thoughtful and realistic outlook! If Viking allows these gatherings of cruise groups onboard on July 3 sailing, (such as the one Peregrina and a person on that other site are organizing)  I will have to avoid those areas but unfortunately won’t be able to avoid possible exposure on shore excursions. Don’t think I’ll have to worry about tea in the Owner’s Suite, however. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Another thoughtful and realistic outlook! If Viking allows these gatherings of cruise groups onboard on July 3 sailing, (such as the one Peregrina and a person on that other site are organizing)  I will have to avoid those areas but unfortunately won’t be able to avoid possible exposure on shore excursions. Don’t think I’ll have to worry about tea in the Owner’s Suite, however. 

You're right. Such a large gathering is an issue and I have been aware of that since we started talking about it, especially as our group has grown to almost 70 people. The question has always been one of how do we balance crowd control (social distancing, masks, etc.) with allowing roll call members who wish it the chance to get to know one another face to face. How do we do it safely? And if not, what other ways do we have to facilitate meeting others?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

How do we do it safely? And if not, what other ways do we have to facilitate meeting others?

Maybe for a short while before our cruise we could change our profile image to a real picture? Or even two, one in a mask and one without. 

Edited by NeilP57

25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You're right. Such a large gathering is an issue and I have been aware of that since we started talking about it, especially as our group has grown to almost 70 people. The question has always been one of how do we balance crowd control (social distancing, masks, etc.) with allowing roll call members who wish it the chance to get to know one another face to face. How do we do it safely? And if not, what other ways do we have to facilitate meeting others?

It will be interesting to see how you do respond to the answers the very questions you ask.

i.e. will you repeat what the Bermuda organizer did?

How do you plan to balance crowd control with a group of 70?  Especially since Viking won't do Meet & Mingles because of limiting large groups.

Perhaps the desires for large face to face social contact will have to wait for a few more months.  So many are anxious to mingle - it sort of reflects our country - everyone thinks things are fine and just wishes to be back to normal.

Will follow how your large groups go.  Best of luck!

The Bermuda incident probably didn't help you all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

We have the same concerns on our Bermuda cruise upcoming.  We can certainly avoid any large groups that Viking allows (although I have to think Viking will pay closer attention to those) while on board - but how to be avoid those people when doing excursions?    Will they have to have a separate bus just for the large group that didn't mind the close face to face contact?  At some point the desires of some do indeed impinge on others.   A bit selfish if you ask me and perhaps should be delayed a bit . . .   Time will tell.

Wish you all safe cruising.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, cfgrandma said:

I did an On Line Chat last night with Icelandair and was told that you only need to pre-order if you have diet restrictions or needs.

The choices we saw were a mix of dietary (vegan, fruit) but also the standard mix was some nice options,  Beef, Fish, Lamp, TAPA's themed.  Was nice to pre-book and not have your choice run out!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

From a medical safety perspective, the safest thing is to do it after people's initial PCR tests results have arrived, and outdoors. The Aquavit Terrace seems like a good location with both a bar and fresh air. Even more safe would be to have masks on while talking, off while drinking. Possibly after dinner to handle people with different dining times. It's not like the sun will be going down!

BUT... these precautions will not be noticed by the tracking device we're all carrying, and if someone tests positive then the whole bunch of us will get tagged. So it's still risky from a quarantining perspective, if not a health perspective.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Here are two Iceland series you may want to watch:

On Amazon Prime are two seasons of Trapped.  Each season is a complete murder mystery - no cliff hanger to next season.  It is in Icelandic with English subtitles so gets you familiar with pronunciation and hearing the language.  The first season is centered around Seydisfjordur and Reykjavik.  The second season is around Akureyri and Reykjavik.  Both seasons are very engaging.

The other is an 8 episode series on Netflix called Katka.  It is filmed on the South coast and Vik.  The story is about strange happenings occurring during a volcanic eruption under a glacier.  We binge watched it over the last two evenings.

It was fun recognizing actors from Trapped in Katka.

With a total countrywide population of 350K, I’ll bet you see the same actors again and again.

Thanks for the recommendations! We’ll check them out.

9 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

From a medical safety perspective, the safest thing is to do it after people's initial PCR tests results have arrived, and outdoors. The Aquavit Terrace seems like a good location with both a bar and fresh air. Even more safe would be to have masks on while talking, off while drinking. Possibly after dinner to handle people with different dining times. It's not like the sun will be going down!

BUT... these precautions will not be noticed by the tracking device we're all carrying, and if someone tests positive then the whole bunch of us will get tagged. So it's still risky from a quarantining perspective, if not a health perspective.

I thought of outside on Aquavit Terrace or up on the bow on deck 9 behind the wind break.  But then we will still contact trace.  All i can think of is to wear a stick on name tag when walking around the ship if you want to meet other CC members.  OR start lists of who is on which excursion especially the longer ones.  Like Who is on the 9 am Golden Circle, who is taking the Dynjandi Waterfall walk?  At least then we would have an idea of who to look for on our tours.  

There is a post on the viking rivers and ocean cruising group on another social network by a lady that spoke with a tellus@viking.com rep that and answered many questions about the Covid situation that you might be interested in reading. 

3 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

There is a post on the viking rivers and ocean cruising group on another social network by a lady that spoke with a tellus@viking.com rep that and answered many questions about the Covid situation that you might be interested in reading. 

Here is her post:

Iceland cruisers - after being quite alarmed at recent experiences in Bermuda, I had sent tellus@vikingcruises.com an email with specific questions. I received a quick personal response that someone would call me back. I then received an email with a name and extension number and have spoken with them at length.  Here's what I asked and was told. If they did not know the answer, they put me on hold and went to find out the answer, so it did take some time.

The Viking crew is NOT required to be vaccinated. Viking excursion drivers and guides are also NOT required to be vaccinated. They are required to be masked at all times, 6' of distancing encouraged and to have a two week quarantine before the cruise begins. 

I asked if she could give me a percentage of crew that was vaccinated and she said only the health officer on the ship would have that information, that she was unable to get it. I asked if she was not able to email to obtain that information and she said they had no way of doing that. I asked if Viking had made official arrangements to vaccinate the crew in a group and as far as she was aware, there are no plans to do so unless required by the country the ship is in. The testing and two week quarantine meet the requirements of Iceland at this time.

The contact tracing device alerts off CDC guidelines, which are defined as less than 6' for 15 minutes or more cumulative over one 24 hour period. You could do some quick math and determine that yes, you are more than likely exposed to your server at a meal. For me personally, I will for sure be cancelling my spa appointments thru my Viking rep when we speak next. Sounded lovely but seems reckless right now. My husband and I will be discussing our planned excursions. I feel comfortable with the walk off included ones, but the others are up for discussion for us. 

The 48 hour cancellation rule for a paid for excursion is in effect. There are no reimbursements if you cancel in less than that time unless of course you have been removed for quarantine. 

If the ship is anchored and there is tendering to the shore, they do their best, but there is likely not 6' of spacing on the little boat. I asked because I saw a photo from Bermuda that clearly was not meeting any spacing guidelines on that particular tender. 

In Iceland, if you test positive on the ship from the daily Viking tests, you will remain on the ship in your room with your cabin mate and you will be tested again. If positive a second time, you will then be removed from the ship to a quarantine facility and connected with any necessary medical care. That facility or hotel will vary by port. 

If you are covered by various trip insurance, check your own coverage for reimbursement guidelines or make your own call to verify. Viking itself is not paying or providing for those accommodations, meals or medical care. If you purchased the Viking Trip Mate insurance (we always do), it will cover your expenses of being quarantined on a reimbursement basis when your claim has been approved. I will be making a follow up call to them tomorrow to ask what would happen to the unused portion of the cruise itself. As a reminder, for the initial Welcome Back (maybe 4 dates?) cruises, the risk free guarantee covers cancelling 14 or more days out. 

Everything is still changing and Viking is trying to monitor and change as they are learning from each cruise. She said the first Bermuda cruise opened up many issues for them to review, and that review is still ongoing, as well as each country will be different. Therefore, each trip may have some different guidelines or restrictions going forward.

It is not necessary to comment that everyone has their own level of risk, not cruising until 2022, etc.  I am simply sharing the information I received to the specific questions I asked.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, patchicago said:

I contacted Tellus@vikingcruises.com and after providing a little bit of background on the four people on the Viking Orion I posed a couple of questions. I understand that, while not common, false positives are going to happen. My concern is that a 2nd confirming test is not done or that I’m put off the ship because I stood next to someone and they tested positive and I’m deemed to have been “in close contact”. There were probably additional questions I should’ve asked but they didn’t occur to me.

So, two questions then:

(1) What are Iceland‘s rules regarding a second test to confirm a positive Covid test.
(2) How is Viking defining “close contact”?

The Health & Safety program info on Viking's website definitely mentions a second confirming test.  But depending upon how fast they get you off the ship, I suppose it may not be possible to do a second.  And once off the ship, if a country or specific location within a country decides the person doesn't need a second test, I'm not sure what happens.  I would hope that Iceland is one nation that deems a second test is a good thing.

Screenshot 2021-06-20 145345.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

All Viking Crews are vaccinated. Upon embarking, crew member is quarantined for 14 days. If needed, they get their vaccines. FYI, Malta vaccinated the crew of several Viking Ships en masse, i.e., Viking Venus prior to England Shores. This info comes directly from crew on several Viking ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

How do you plan to balance crowd control with a group of 70? 

That is the killer for us. We are too big to succeed.

But smaller roll calls might have a better chance for a short (15 min max, masks on, 6ft apart at all times) meet up, that someone else is already calling a "meet and go," in a space like Aquavit Terrace or Deck 9 seating area weather-permitting or Wintergarden (because it is a large interior space that does not usually get a lot of traffic).

• Like 2

Has anyone else been under the assumption that the entire crew would be vaccinated? Because according to a posting elsewhere (look it up as it’s a long post) tellus told her that the crew and excursion drivers are not required to be vaccinated, but must wear masks and social distance. She has posted more info that she received from tellus but the non-vaccination is very concerning.  I would have sworn I had read that the crew was to be vaccinated. Feeling stupid as to my ASSumption and a little duped. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, PeabodyMa said:

All Viking Crews are vaccinated. Upon embarking, crew member is quarantined for 14 days. If needed, they get their vaccines. FYI, Malta vaccinated the crew of several Viking Ships en masse, i.e., Viking Venus prior to England Shores. This info comes directly from crew on several Viking ships.

Here is another take on this…

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:29 PM, LindaS272 said:

A great idea. I will jot it down. I’ve always wanted to go to Lindisfarne but have not yet made it.

I hope you make it too. It's a fantastic part of of England. Great places to stay in Bamburgh Castle (its a village as well as a castle) and Seahouses.  The boats to the Farne Islands go from Seahouses everyday weather permitting. Holy Island (Lindisfarne) is full of history but you will have to check the tide tables to get there as there is a causeway that floods when the tide comes in.  Harrison Ford has been filming in that area for the next Indiana Jones film. Great for visiting the Scottish Borders too. 

38 minutes ago, FLGators#1 said:

Has anyone else been under the assumption that the entire crew would be vaccinated? Because according to a posting elsewhere (look it up as it’s a long post) tellus told her that the crew and excursion drivers are not required to be vaccinated, but must wear masks and social distance. She has posted more info that she received from tellus but the non-vaccination is very concerning.  I would have sworn I had read that the crew was to be vaccinated. Feeling stupid as to my ASSumption and a little duped. 

I wouldn’t believe what TellUs told the FB poster. This is, at best, third hand information. We read, or were told by Tor in a video, that all Viking crew would be vaccinated, as a requirement from the government in the countries Viking will be visiting. I wish I could point you to the source on this, but it’s way back in the threads from weeks ago. It would make no sense whatsoever for Viking to require pax be vaccinated and not the crew. So yes, we are under the assumption, from prior information, that the crew has been vaccinated. We’ve had completely bogus information from TellUs in the past, even when they swore up and down that their information was correct.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Queenie1603 said:

Harrison Ford has been filming in that area for the next Indiana Jones film.

Geezer version, no doubt ;-). I will keep an eye out—love those films, and the Scottish landscape. Thanks for the Farnes info. I think it’s in my near future!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, C-sea said:

Viking needs to clarify this... are all crew members required to be vaccinated or not?

From Crew-Center.com:

"Viking ocean-going cruise ships are in the final stage of preparations for the upcoming cruise season, starting with the Viking Venus which will set sail on her first voyage on May 22, with round-trip cruises in the U.K. from the port of Portsmouth. The crew onboard Viking Venus have already received the first dose of the vaccine against Covid-19 ahead of the ship’s maiden voyage. According to our source, Viking Venus crew were the first to get the vaccine while the ship was in Malta.

The main goal is for all the crew on board Viking ships to get vaccinated before resuming cruises, as a first layer of protection against Covid-19. In an interview for CNBC Viking Cruises Chairman, Torstein Hagen said it is in everyone’s interest for the cruise lines to operate safely and the cruise industry can't afford to have another outbreak. That’s why Viking went one step further, investing in full-scale labs onboard their ships. Unlike the Swab tests done by other cruise lines, PCR testing on board Viking ships is done with a non-invasive saliva sample. This gives Viking an advantage because testing is done on each crew member, and soon on all passengers, on daily basis. Each morning saliva samples are collected from the crew and the test results are ready the same day. This allows for unprecedented testing capacity onboard the Viking ships as an additional layer of protection against the virus which is very important part of safe cruising."

http://crew-center.com/viking-goes-step-further-crew-standby-pay-vaccination-and-testing-labs

• Like 5