Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

49 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes, saw this performance before the Oscars.  Movie definitely put Husavik on the map.  I bet it is a film choice on the room TV's.  

We just returned from a day trip to Husavik. Spectacular view of the bay and the snow-covered mountains on the other side — reminds me a lot of Homer, Alaska and the view across Kachemak Bay. If you’re here for lunch, try the fish soup at Naustid above the harbor (look for the bright yellow house). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have experience with traveling through Boston Logan on Delta? We will have an hour and 20 minutes to get from our arrival terminal (which I believe is Terminal A) to the Delta International terminal (which I believe is E). Is it difficult?

15 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We loved it.  Hopefully we won't see the weather of the first season!

We just watched the first episode and now I see what you mean about the weather - yikes! crossing fingers and toes for anything better!

1 hour ago, CatefromNH said:

My husband and I will be on the 7/24 cruise and were disappointed to miss out on the black beach walk excursion. (In the process of booking when the system crashed.) I found a hiking trail site that lists the walk as “easy” and about 5 miles RT from downtown Djupivogur. If we are allowed to go off on our own and it’s a decent day (meaning no horizontal rain!), I think we may do it independently. We’d be happy to have company. Another option is to walk there but make arrangements for a cab to pick us up at the end of the airport road at a specific time so we don’t have to walk all the way back. Of course, that assumes there is some type of taxi service in Djupivogur. Are we crazy? 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/iceland/eastern/djupivogur-to-black-sand-beach?u=i&u=i

45AD2627-C0DE-4B04-8052-DD592B5AE015.jpeg

Cate- the same happened to us.  We are interested to go with you.  I couldn't contact you through "message"-  you can e-mail me at EJLobster@aol.com  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatefromNH said:

My husband and I will be on the 7/24 cruise and were disappointed to miss out on the black beach walk excursion. (In the process of booking when the system crashed.) I found a hiking trail site that lists the walk as “easy” and about 5 miles RT from downtown Djupivogur. If we are allowed to go off on our own and it’s a decent day (meaning no horizontal rain!), I think we may do it independently. We’d be happy to have company. Another option is to walk there but make arrangements for a cab to pick us up at the end of the airport road at a specific time so we don’t have to walk all the way back. Of course, that assumes there is some type of taxi service in Djupivogur. Are we crazy? 

I'm not sure if you're crazy 8-), but I also think it's doable on your own. Also there is a shore excursion which is something like a nature walk that basically travels the first half of this trail. You might sign up, walk with the group until it turns around, and then just keep going on your own. This way the guide could help set your expectations on where to go and what you'll find.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I'm not sure if you're crazy 8-), but I also think it's doable on your own. Also there is a shore excursion which is something like a nature walk that basically travels the first half of this trail. You might sign up, walk with the group until it turns around, and then just keep going on your own. This way the guide could help set your expectations on where to go and what you'll find.

That’s an interesting idea. Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, EJLobster said:

Cate- the same happened to us.  We are interested to go with you.  I couldn't contact you through "message"-  you can e-mail me at EJLobster@aol.com  Thanks.

Great! I’m catharine.foster@gmail.com. Will also check my account to see why you can’t message me. Let’s see what happens with the 6/26 cruise before we make any tentative plans. Fingers crossed all goes well and independent time off ship is allowed. You’d think outdoor activities would be ok, regardless! 

PS - Lived in Portland until middle school age and still have family in southern ME. Miss it dearly! (Have been in central IL for 5 years. 😑)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Envelope21 said:

Does anyone have experience with traveling through Boston Logan on Delta? We will have an hour and 20 minutes to get from our arrival terminal (which I believe is Terminal A) to the Delta International terminal (which I believe is E). Is it difficult?

Easy-peasy. You could grab a bowl of chowder at Legal Seafood if you have the desire. (Caveat: I haven't connected since pre-pandemic times, but I can't imagine its much different.)

Edit: Maybe a little too hasty in my reply - I was a very frequent flyer and know the airport well, usually travelling alone, and in business class (work related), so it might be a little more challenging if you aren't familier. Still, I think it's doable. You can use this site to see videos with specific instructions for all permutations of Boston connections; just select A to E and it's show the exact steps.  https://bostonairportwayfinder.com 

Edited by cmaasfamily
updating info

1 hour ago, EJLobster said:

https://issuu.com/cruiseiceland/docs/cruise-iceland-2019_brochure.   This brochure, in addition to giving an overview of the different cruising ports, gives info on the services within each port including availability of taxis.  For Dujupivigor it says taxis must be arranged on advance.

Also if you go to Google Maps and put in the names of those 2 lagoons where the the one Viking walk goes to, you can pretty much figure out how to do it yourself.  On Maps you can also download a specific map so you can access it offline..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

So I am wondering about VeriFLY.  A few days ago I signed up and added my husband as travel companion.  We are marked as ready to travel.  We have green checkmarks as having finished uploading our vax card and photo.  Yet yesterday my husband got an email from Viking telling him to sign up.  Don’t quite know what to make of this.  Did anyone else get this?

Wonder if they did not notice him as your travel companion and are looking for a VeriFly account in his name separately.

3 hours ago, CatefromNH said:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/iceland/eastern/djupivogur-to-black-sand-beach?u=i&u=i

45AD2627-C0DE-4B04-8052-DD592B5AE015.jpeg

Looks great. I’ll plan to do the same - weather and rules permitting - on the 7/3 cruise. We also missed out on black sands tour. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Wonder if they did not notice him as your travel companion and are looking for a VeriFly account in his name separately.

Since he is in there, picture and CDC card, I really think it’s just the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.  Or so I hope…

2 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

It's a bit of a walk from terminal A to the international terminal E.  Are you sure your flight out is from the international terminal?  I've been checking my flight (BOS to KEF) and it appears that this one leaves from terminal A.  What flight are you on & what date?  You can check the current flights that are the same as yours by going to flightaware dot com and put in your flight # then check for today or tomorrow and it will tell you which terminal and gate that flight is leaving from.  That is what I did to discover that my BOS to KEF (usually) leaves from terminal A.

Edited by ejc14

I agree with @SantaFe1 in that the VeriFLy email was probably just on autopilot . We received several emails from Viking to do something after we had already done it.

All packed and ready for our flight tomorrow.  If it's not in the suitcase by now, it's not going ! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

There are busses. LONG way A>E.
Terminal E is the INTERNATIONAL terminal.
I believe that Delta is Terminal C however. WRONG. They are A.
A>E is a long walk. Maybe 20min if very FAST walkers. Bus should run quicker than that.

Edited by philw1776

37 minutes ago, ejc14 said:

It's a bit of a walk from terminal A to the international terminal E.  Are you sure your flight out is from the international terminal?  I've been checking my flight (BOS to KEF) and it appears that this one leaves from terminal A.  What flight are you on & what date?  You can check the current flights that are the same as yours by going to flightaware dot com and put in your flight # then check for today or tomorrow and it will tell you which terminal and gate that flight is leaving from.  That is what I did to discover that my BOS to KEF (usually) leaves from terminal A.

Agreed with Terminal A - Iceland flights fly out of Terminal A - You shouldn't have to worry about getting to Terminal E 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

Agreed with Terminal A - Iceland flights fly out of Terminal A - You shouldn't have to worry about getting to Terminal E 

Boston Globe won't let me copy article but it says as of May 2021 (a month ago) that Delta now flies to Iceland out of Terminal A.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Cate and EJLobster: I haven't researched Djupivogur much yet, so I don't know anything about the black sand beach hike/walk.   I would probably ask the tourist office there about your plans, including if there are taxis you could book in advance.  The town sounds pretty small.  A travel book I have lists the Tourist Office as follows:

email - info@djupivogur.is

web: djupivogugur.is

phone: 478 8220

Open June through Sept. 10:00-16:00 daily

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Cate and EJLobster: I haven't researched Djupivogur much yet, so I don't know anything about the black sand beach hike/walk.   I would probably ask the tourist office there about your plans, including if there are taxis you could book in advance.  The town sounds pretty small.  A travel book I have lists the Tourist Office as follows:

email - info@djupivogur.is

web: djupivogugur.is

phone: 478 8220

Open June through Sept. 10:00-16:00 daily

The town is small, but quite scenic. Check out the 34 giant eggs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJLobster said:

I couldn't contact you through "message"- 

That is because the message function on CC is disabled. Since they use a third-party platform, the best they could do was to change settings but they could not removed it completely from the screen. Very confusing.

21 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Boston Globe won't let me copy article but it says as of May 2021 (a month ago) that Delta now flies to Iceland out of Terminal A.

Phil, do you know how to do a screen snip or print screen?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I agree with the other posters who have stated that Delta‘s flights TO Reykjavik leave from Terminal A. But the flight FROM Reykjavik to Boston deplanes in Terminal A. I presume that’s due to customs being located there. So if you’re coming back via BOS you may want to confirm you have time to transit not only immigration/customs but to get to your next gate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CatefromNH said:

Great! I’m catharine.foster@gmail.com. Will also check my account to see why you can’t message me. Let’s see what happens with the 6/26 cruise before we make any tentative plans. Fingers crossed all goes well and independent time off ship is allowed. You’d think outdoor activities would be ok, regardless! 

PS - Lived in Portland until middle school age and still have family in southern ME. Miss it dearly! (Have been in central IL for 5 years. 😑)

Good idea to wait... We also have various connections to NH-  and my sister, a Dartmouth grad- now lives near you- in Macomb, Ill.!

• Like 1