Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

Thanks So much for all who posted about flying out of Boston Logan to Iceland. This makes me feel so much better. We are on the July 17 cruise and we are arriving a day early ( so flight is on July 15, arriving July 16). 

We fly Orlando to  Boston, them Boston to Reykjavik. 

7 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I hope to!  I cut off the eggs on the map I printed, but I did look to see where they were (North on The eggs are off the map I printed, north on Vikurland!)  Here's the whole town.....1255514894_Djupopenstreetmap(2).thumb.jpg.89b6a07d51341edacb2b6fe4a4950d54.jpg

There is a lovely little "museum" crystal shop here. It was very interesting. If you get to wander freely you should go.

P1080490.JPG

P1080497.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

There is a lovely little "museum" crystal shop here. It was very interesting. If you get to wander freely you should go.

P1080490.JPG

P1080497.JPG

Thanks for posting that.  I read a little blurb about it, but that was before I thought we might be able to "wander" in each port we visit, and I didn't note address or even name.  My spouse would probably like to visit this place. 

And if you know anything about the "old fish factory" with art exhibits in summer,  I'd like more info on that!.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
ask about fish factory

17 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Is this flightaware dot com for any airport/airline?

Yes. I use it all the time to track my husband and kids 😉. Also you can see where the incoming plane is for your flight. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just curious: I was hoping to get the nonstop Icelandair flight back home, but didn't.  We connect in Minneapolis on Delta. We have plenty of time, but can anyone comment on how easy/hard the connection might be?  Walk? Bus? Train?  Anything there to kill time besides shopping/eating? 

It's pretty simple. It can be a long walk through the jetway to get to customs/immigration. We have Global Entry so we sail through pretty quickly but I have seen the queue be very long depending on how many flights arrive at the same time. Once there, you will collect your luggage if you have checked any you will move it from belt A to belt B and proceed back through security. (There is staff that will "show" you the way every step) With Global entry we are through and back in the main terminal area in less than 20 minutes. There is a tram that that shuttles passengers to different concourses. It arrives every 5 - 10 minutes and is very efficient.

Can't speak of what to do at the airport but depending on the length of your layover there is a shuttle that takes you to Mall of America which is appx 15 minutes from the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks for posting that.  I read a little blurb about it, but that was before I thought we might be able to "wander" in each port we visit, and I didn't note address or even name.  My spouse would probably like to visit this place. 

And if you know anything about the "old fish factory" with art exhibits in summer,  I'd like more info on that!.

We were there in the middle of June. I know nothing about the "old fish factory". It is a very small village but very quaint. We were driving the entire ring road and made a stop there. 

17 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Yes 
Article headline and topic is visible on search but click on article brings up Globe protection and can't read even that.

Can you post a link and maybe some here is a subscriber and share the pertinent information? 

21 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We leave on Friday for the first cruise.  Successfully pre-registered.  But I cannot get the RankingC19 app up and running.  It asks for a code and I can’t seem to get one.  Any help appreciated.

When you enter your phone number, you will recieve a text message with the activation code.

8 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

When you enter your phone number, you will recieve a text message with the activation code.

I can’t even get that far.  I haven’t entered a phone number because it tells me to go to. settings, then exposure notifications, which I’ve done, then click Raking, which is t there.  I’m completely lost.

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I can’t even get that far.  I haven’t entered a phone number because it tells me to go to. settings, then exposure notifications, which I’ve done, then click Raking, which is t there.  I’m completely lost.

Ok, I started over.  I entered phone number, and got and entered the code.  Then it says to enable notifications, I have to go to settings and select Iceland,  I do that and it send me to,the App Store to download the app, which I already have.  How can this be so,difficult???

11 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Ok, I started over.  I entered phone number, and got and entered the code.  Then it says to enable notifications, I have to go to settings and select Iceland,  I do that and it send me to,the App Store to download the app, which I already have.  How can this be so,difficult???

When you first open the app it ask you do you want to enanble notications.  If you enter yes at that time you do not have to go to settings to enable them.   It enables them when you download the app.  Without allowing notications you will never be able to have the results sent to you.

7 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

When you first open the app it ask you do you want to enanble notications.  If you enter yes at that time you do not have to go to settings to enable them.   It enables them when you download the app.  Without allowing notications you will never be able to have the results sent to you.

I did enable notifications when first opened.  Sorry to be such a dunce.  I will delete and try again.

I have a daily calendar that gives me interesting bits of information. 

Yesterday's information:  Where in the world can you find an equestrian contest in which people carry mugs of beer and try not to spill any while riding horses? 

Answer: Iceland - The game is called beer tolt. (Tolt is also the name of a fluid, steady gait that is unique ti the Icelandic horses).

I can tell I'm going to love Iceland already!!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

I have a daily calendar that gives me interesting bits of information. 

Yesterday's information:  Where in the world can you find an equestrian contest in which people carry mugs of beer and try not to spill any while riding horses? 

Answer: Iceland - The game is called beer tolt. (Tolt is also the name of a fluid, steady gait that is unique ti the Icelandic horses).

I can tell I'm going to love Iceland already!!!

Do they have one for wine? Asking for a friend. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It appears that Viking has updated their Health & Safety page with what to me are additional items that somewhat answer many of the questions we have been asking each other-including is the crew fully vaccinated, what happens if we are in close contact with a positive passenger. 

There is also one item that discusses their insurance which at first reading seems to say that the plan will pay for quarantining….however after reading it several times, there is at least one too many “could”s and a “help” that concerns me.  We have never purchased Viking’s insurance preferring to buy others.  For those that have, can you give me an idea of how much it is for the Iceland trip?  Do you know if it can be purchased at this late date (don’t feel like having to sit on the phone if one of you knows the answer already)? If you have a policy could you share the paragraphs related to quarantine?

Here’s a link:https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html?fbclid=IwAR2mL8L9ivlPPTHU_VhBbu2hilTlB1ld58Zk8tX0LSGX6ZBRnyHKoFnS2cM

Thanks!

F8A843ED-F534-4ADA-8D57-CEE2CA7ADDB1.png

9728A88E-8A06-4B9A-A709-D10E51EA8EC1.png

B9288A84-155C-4270-BD6E-9EE947AADB1A.png

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The view from our room at the Hotel Siglo in Siglufjordur, the northernmost town in Iceland. I took the picture at 9:10 pm this evening.

Dave, thanks for the great picture. We’re staying there during our week driving tour, before getting on Sky.  This hotel is a featured set in the tv series “Trapped”.

Jerry

August 14 Iceland sailing 

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

It appears that Viking has updated their Health & Safety page with what to me are additional items that somewhat answer many of the questions we have been asking each other-including is the crew fully vaccinated, what happens if we are in close contact with a positive passenger. 

There is also one item that discusses their insurance which at first reading seems to say that the plan will pay for quarantining….however after reading it several times, there is at least one too many “could”s and a “help” that concerns me.  We have never purchased Viking’s insurance preferring to buy others.  For those that have, can you give me an idea of how much it is for the Iceland trip?  Do you know if it can be purchased at this late date (don’t feel like having to sit on the phone if one of you knows the answer already)? If you have a policy could you share the paragraphs related to quarantine?

The first item about people who test positive is self-contradictory. The first sentence is that people who test positive will be put ashore. The second sentence says that people who re-test positive will be put ashore. I'm not certain I know what that means.

Re the insurance: The "could" I think is OK. Their intent is that there are other things that might be included, and also they're saying that not all of these items may occur for you. But that those items listed are covered. The "help" is a bit concerning, but I'm guessing you need to read the fine-print of the insurance policy to clarify further.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkTapley said:

Dave, thanks for the great picture. We’re staying there during our week driving tour, before getting on Sky.  This hotel is a featured set in the tv series “Trapped”.

Jerry

August 14 Iceland sailing 

Jerry,

Much of the snow on the mountains will likely be gone by the time you arrive. Not so for us! I look at the surrounding peaks and wish I’d brought my skis.

This hotel checks all the boxes: fabulous design, great location, and views to die for. You’ll have a great time at the Sig.

David

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

The first item about people who test positive is self-contradictory. The first sentence is that people who test positive will be put ashore. The second sentence says that people who re-test positive will be put ashore. I'm not certain I know what that means.

Re the insurance: The "could" I think is OK. Their intent is that there are other things that might be included, and also they're saying that not all of these items may occur for you. But that those items listed are covered. The "help" is a bit concerning, but I'm guessing you need to read the fine-print of the insurance policy to clarify further.

Inhad the same thought when I read the first few sentences. I prefer to think that the second sentence is out of place and it should  have been the third one.