Norwegian Fjords

@hallasm  We will be in Stavenger and our cruise line does not offer the hike to Pulpit Rock.  I've been unable to find a tour to line up with our time in port (8:00am - 7:00pm).  Is there a simple way to do it on our own?  

3 hours ago, Anubi said:

We will be in Stavenger and our cruise line does not offer the hike to Pulpit Rock.  I've been unable to find a tour to line up with our time in port (8:00am - 7:00pm).  Is there a simple way to do it on our own?  

Unfortunately, I have no experience with hiking to Pulpit Rock - maybe @kaisatsuhas more insight.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anubi said:

@hallasm  We will be in Stavenger and our cruise line does not offer the hike to Pulpit Rock.  I've been unable to find a tour to line up with our time in port (8:00am - 7:00pm).  Is there a simple way to do it on our own?  

@Anubi we did this on our own from Stavenger. We were in port from 0800-1600 and I booked an express round trip bus ticket through https://gofjords.com. We got off the boat, walked to the meeting point (Radisson Blu Hotel ~10 minute walk if I remember), then the bus took us ~35 minutes to the drop off point. Once there, it is VERY clear where the hike starts. The hike took us about 4 hours round trip-- 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. Of note, we are in our 30's and in decently active shape. This is definitely not a hike for beginners, but well worth it when you get to the top! After we finished, we had enough time to grab a drink and light snack at their shop before needing to board the bus back.

All in all, this was VERY easy to do on our own, without a guide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rodne fjiord cruises in Stavanger....are they still actively in business?   We booked with them before and when I try to book on their website, no matter what date I put in for the fjord cruise, the website just spins and locks up. 

2 hours ago, efuller1026 said:

@Anubi we did this on our own from Stavenger. We were in port from 0800-1600 and I booked an express round trip bus ticket through https://gofjords.com. We got off the boat, walked to the meeting point (Radisson Blu Hotel ~10 minute walk if I remember), then the bus took us ~35 minutes to the drop off point. Once there, it is VERY clear where the hike starts. The hike took us about 4 hours round trip-- 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. Of note, we are in our 30's and in decently active shape. This is definitely not a hike for beginners, but well worth it when you get to the top! After we finished, we had enough time to grab a drink and light snack at their shop before needing to board the bus back.

All in all, this was VERY easy to do on our own, without a guide. 

Thank you so much.  That is exactly what I needed to know.  I think by going this way, we will be fine.  Now, all we need is for the weather to cooperate.  LOL

We hiked Pulpit Rock in July 2023 using the tour company Lysefjorden Adventure. There was 8 of us in our group. Definitely not a hike for beginners. Guide was patient and very accommodating and had hiking polls for those who needed them. Spent about 45 minutes at the top for photos and lunch. Provided round trip transportation directly from where the ship docked. Unfortunately it was raining and very foggy the day we hiked so views were nonexistent but it we were glad we did it regardless. 

• Thanks 1

I haven’t done the Preikestolen hike since before the tunnel opened, when the timing was always extremely dependent on the ferry schedule (which made it hard to fit into a port day). As mentioned above, as long as you can get to/from the trailhead, the rest is pretty straightforward. Hike up. Hike back.

It’s definitely not a hike to do if it’s foggy, as the conditions would be dangerous and there will be little view to reward you at the end.

The trail was improved significantly about fifteen years ago, so it can be done in rugged trainers or light hiking shoes and doesn’t require boots. But like any trail in Norway, the expectation is that you use good judgement and follow the mountain rules.

• Thanks 1

Hi 

I am looking for assistance in deciding what to do in these ports:

Haugesund

Aalesund

Olden

Skyolden/Sognefjord

Stavanger

My first question is how easy is to get from the ship to the local town (or whatever)

Secondly  it would be helpful to know what is easily accessible in these various places

i would be grateful for any information or experience that you might have had

We are sailing on Sky Princess at the end of April 2024

On 1/21/2024 at 1:22 PM, mickeysgal said:

Rodne fjiord cruises in Stavanger....are they still actively in business?   We booked with them before and when I try to book on their website, no matter what date I put in for the fjord cruise, the website just spins and locks up. 

We're considering the "Cruise from Stavanger to Lysefjord" - Have you done that before and liked it?  Recommend it?

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

We're considering the "Cruise from Stavanger to Lysefjord" - Have you done that before and liked it?  Recommend it?

Yes - I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. Spectacularly scenic. Took a ton of pictures and it did rain a bit so prepare for that in case.  Pulpit rock is wayyyy up there but you can see it from

the boat. I did finally get through on the Rodne site and booked it. We booked direct last time as well. Saved a ton of money. The sightseeing boat is within walking distance of the ship. Easy to get to. 

Edited by mickeysgal

1 minute ago, mickeysgal said:

Yes - I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. Spectacularly scenic. Pulpit rock is wayyyy up there but you can see it from

the boat. I did finally get through on the Rodne site and booked it. We booked direct last time as well. Saved a ton of money. The sightseeing boat is within walking distance of the ship. Easy to get to. 

Thanks.  I really want to do Pulpit Rock, just not sure my wife can do it.  So, it sounds like this excursion would be a good alternative.

I did the boat excursion 2x with Princess in 1) August 2) June.   Princess excursion stops on the way to have  Norwegian waffle and coffee.  Highly recommend. I stayed on the top deck for the whole trip.

FYI - wear warm clothes- jacket, sweater, hat, gloves, scarf, wind can be bad when moving.

First time to Norway and we are wanting to do Alesund Troll Road Tour which company do you recommend using? Rather not use the Cruise lines tour

Edited by gagenie

In Flam, I am planning to do 2 tours. Which 2 would you recommend from:

1. Flam Railway

2. Fjord boat cruise to Gudvangen with shuttle bus back to Flam

3. Electric Twizzy to Stegistein viewpoint

I wish I had time for all 3!!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 6:11 AM, Traderboy said:

Hi 

I am looking for assistance in deciding what to do in these ports:

Haugesund

Aalesund

Olden

Skyolden/Sognefjord

Stavanger

My first question is how easy is to get from the ship to the local town (or whatever)

Secondly  it would be helpful to know what is easily accessible in these various places

i would be grateful for any information or experience that you might have had

We are sailing on Sky Princess at the end of April 2024

A good place to start: https://www.whatsinport.com

Read through all of the posts in this thread.  Wow - so many options.  Trying to decide on a cruise for 2025.  Not loyal to any one company, last cruise was 2015 with Celebrity (3 with them), 2009 Norwegian Hawaii cruise, Princess - cruising from Southampton in April this year to Spain and France.

Didn't realize there were so many options. Main purpose of the cruise is to see the Fjords, will find something to do at the various ports.  From Canada so used to the cold, don't like it but used to it.

Options for 2025

1. Princess - April 26 - May 3rd - Southampton, Sea Day, Haugesund, Skjolden/Sognefjord, Olden, Stravanger, Sea Day, Southampton - Best price for 3 adults in the room, booked with a refundable deposit

2. Celebrity - May 10 - May 17 - Southampton, Sea Day, Nordfjordeid, Flam, Geiranger, Sea Day, Bruges, Southampton. - Higher price, includes both Flam and Geiranger, like that it is mid May but don't think there will be much of a difference in the three cruises.  Non-refundable deposit unless paying 1,400 CDN more for the refundable option.

3. Celebrity - May 3 - May 10 - Southampton, Sea Day, Bruges, Olden, Flam, Bergen, Sea Day, Southampton - Both Celebrity cruises similar in price, includes Olden, Flam and Bergen. Non-refundable deposit unless paying 1,400 CDN more.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:04 AM, Eno said:

Made my decision, Option 2 - liked the dates and the ports

Restrictions on cruise ships into the deep fjords are set to begin in 2025. This would affect your cruise, especially Geiranger, and is why many people are trying to fit in an Arctic Circle cruise this year. 

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norwegian-fjords-cruises/

The restrictions now begin January 2026 so 2025 will be the last year unless the ship has zero emissions. Will have to start a roll call for this cruise!

Looking for some itinerary help for a 2024 Norwegian/Iceland cruise. There are two itineraries we are interested in on Atlas. The first itinerary covers both Geiranger and Flam, which would be great, but the date of the second itinerary works better for us. I would love any and all feedback. Thank you!

July 12 - 23, 2024

• Reykjavik
  • Isafjoraur, Iceland
  • Seyarsfjoraur, Iceland
  • Alessund, Norway
  • Geiranger, Norway
  • Flam, Norway
  • Gudvahgen, Norway
  • Bergen, Norway
  • Stravanger, Norway
  • Aredal, Norway
  • Oslo