Norwegian Fjords

IMO: The Celebrity. Flam (take the Flambana excursion if able), Geiranger (magnificent scenery) and Bergen (fascinating city in itself) would make it an easy choice for me. Been to Norway many times, have never been to Olden or Skjolden…perhaps I am missing something?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UNH1995 said:

I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.  This will be our first time in Norway

Another vote for Celebrity: Flåm, Geiranger are the tow best deep fjords impunity Norway and Bergen a very nice coastal city.

Princess: Skjolden is ‘secondary’, while Olden is fine - also Stavanger is ‘secondary‘.

Note that availability of cruises to Flåm and Geiranger will be very limiter from 2026 due to restrictions on emission from cruise ships.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I have now read all 23 pages twice, but have a question regarding Stavanger.  I am cruising this June on Royal Caribbean and will be on deck very early for the sail-in to both Geiranger and Flam to see and photograph the scenery.

We are in Stavanger on a Saturday from 8 to 7 and I am considering booking the Rodne small boat cruise in the Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock (not a RIB).

My question for anyone that has done this - I am thinking the Lysefjord scenery will be very similar to what I will already have seen from the ship of the fjords in and out of Geiranger and Flam.  I don't think Pulpit Rock from water level will be much to see.  Pulpit Rock is all about the view from the top.  So why take this boat trip?

mickeysgal back in post #511 on page 21 said she loved it.  I am 50 / 50 on booking it unless I hear another solid yes vote and why.  I can find some Stavanger city based things to do.

Thanks for any responses.  My wife can't make the hike up to Pulpit Rock and I don't think I want to go solo.

Edited by CaptJerry51

3 minutes ago, CaptJerry51 said:

I have now read all 23 pages twice, but have a question regarding Stavanger.  I am cruising this June on Royal Caribbean and will be on deck very early for the sail-in to both Geiranger and Flam to see and photograph the scenery.

We are in Stavanger on a Saturday from 8 to 7 and I am considering booking the Rodne small boat cruise in the Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock (not a RIB).

My question for anyone that has done this - I am thinking the Lysefjord scenery will be very similar to what I will already have seen from the ship of the fjords in and out of Geiranger and Flam.  I don't think Pulpit Rock from water level will be much to see.  Pulpit Rock is all about the view from the top.  So why take this boat trip?

mickeysgal back in post #511 on page 21 said she loved it.  I am 50 / 50 on booking it unless I hear another solid yes vote and why.  I can find some Stavanger city based things to do.

Thanks for any responses.  My wife can't make the hike up to Pulpit Rock and I don't think I want to go solo.

The Lysefjord is a bit rockier than Geirangerfjord and Sognefjord, but if you have seen both of those, you won’t have a dramatically new experience in Lysefjord. It’s a pretty area, but if there’s something else you’re more interested in seeing/doing in Stavanger, then I wouldn’t worry about missing anything.

The “old city” in Stavanger is charming to walk around with lots of white wooden houses and cobbled streets, and the petroleum museum is vaguely interesting. The colorful wooden waterfront buildings of the bryggen are worth seeing if you aren’t calling in Bergen (which has the best/most in their UNESCO-listed waterfront).

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 11:59 AM, kaisatsu said:

The Lysefjord is a bit rockier than Geirangerfjord and Sognefjord, but if you have seen both of those, you won’t have a dramatically new experience in Lysefjord. It’s a pretty area, but if there’s something else you’re more interested in seeing/doing in Stavanger, then I wouldn’t worry about missing anything.

The “old city” in Stavanger is charming to walk around with lots of white wooden houses and cobbled streets, and the petroleum museum is vaguely interesting. The colorful wooden waterfront buildings of the bryggen are worth seeing if you aren’t calling in Bergen (which has the best/most in their UNESCO-listed waterfront).

Great info!! Thanks!

On 4/7/2024 at 11:51 AM, CaptJerry51 said:

We are doing the Rodne small boat cruise in the Lysefjord when we are in Stavanger in July (on Princess).  We are doing it because quite frankly nothing else interested us in that town.  I would love to hike Pulpit rock, but, my wife couldn't do it.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:24 AM, PATRLR said:

We are doing the Rodne small boat cruise in the Lysefjord when we are in Stavanger in July (on Princess).  We are doing it because quite frankly nothing else interested us in that town.  I would love to hike Pulpit rock, but, my wife couldn't do it.

Now I am really, really bummed.  I must have screwed up something and I never actually made the reservation for this excursion.  And now it's sold out.  Princess also offers a similar excursion (for 3 times the money and an hour less time), and it too is sold out.  Now, I'm not sure what we'll do in Stavanger.  Sigh.

9 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Now, I'm not sure what we'll do in Stavanger.

My plan for Stavanger is to walk around the old town with the beautiful houses and narrow streets. Old Stavanger (‘Øvre Strandgate’).
‘Nedre Strandgate’ 17 and 19 houses the Stavanger Maritime museum. The Norwegian Canning Museum is also located in the area

From there to Bryggen and ‘Skagenkaj’ and ‘Øvre Holmegate’ (Fargegaten) and Valberget viewpoint.
The Norwegian Petroleum Museum is also located in the area
Visit Stavanger Town Center, The Cathedral, City Park and Breiavatnet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hallasm said:

My plan for Stavanger is to walk around the old town with the beautiful houses and narrow streets. Old Stavanger (‘Øvre Strandgate’).
‘Nedre Strandgate’ 17 and 19 houses the Stavanger Maritime museum. The Norwegian Canning Museum is also located in the area

From there to Bryggen and ‘Skagenkaj’ and ‘Øvre Holmegate’ (Fargegaten) and Valberget viewpoint.

Thank you @hallasm.  Something like that is probably what we'll do.  Walk around town, see the sites, maybe the petro museum, eventually sit and have a coffee or wine or small bite to eat. 

We'll also look into doing some hiking.  I'd love to hike Preikestolen/Pulpit Rock, not sure if my wife can do it, but we'll see what else is available in the area.  

We'll enjoy ourselves no doubt. 

Edited by PATRLR

6 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@PATRLR

We booked the Rodne excursion independently when we were in Stavenger.

Here is website: Norwegian Fjord Cruises - Rødne Fjord Cruise (rodne.no)

Hope that there is availability when you are there.

Thanks but that is what I was saying above, I thought I'd booked it direct but somehow I screwed up and hadn't booked it.  It's sold out now.

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Thanks but that is what I was saying above, I thought I'd booked it direct but somehow I screwed up and hadn't booked it.  It's sold out now.

Guess when I read excursion I thought it was a cruise tour.

6 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Perhaps Get Your Guide has spots available on the same excursion?  Worth looking....

20 hours ago, hallasm said:

I’m also going to look for all the wall art!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

wow! WOW!  I just read through ALL 23 pages and thanks for the info, tips, ideas and suggestions!  I am still in the planning stages for our June 2024 cruise, but I have so much info now. THANK YOU!!

Edited by mkaalong
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:44 PM, Kbwhat53 said:

I’m also going to look for all the wall art!

Nice. We're booked for a boat excursion, and then afterwards we're taking a local bus to see the 3 Swords in the Stone.

19 hours ago, mkaalong said:

wow! WOW!  I just read through ALL 23 pages and thanks for the info, tips, ideas and suggestions!  I am still in the planning stages for our June 2024 cruise, but I have so much info now. THANK YOU!!

WOW! You showed incredible patience reading through 23 pages! And it looks like today is the 3 year anniversary of the start of this thread.

• Thanks 2

We set off in a weeks time to Haugesund, Alesund, Olden Skjolden and Stavanger.

I now know we are doing the lift at Olden, a boat cruise at Stavanger, a walk up to the viewing place at Skyolden. Can we easily walk around Haugesund and Alesund or do we need some transportation?