Jump to content

No cabin refurbishment on MS Maud?


comcox
 Share

Recommended Posts

Read the following on FB yesterday:  "I have today received the disappointing news that MS Maud's cabins aren't going to be refurbished as planned (we're booked for March 2022)" and another poster: "They have offered us 500 Euro each on board credit as compensation."

 

I'm booked on Maud in April 2022 and really not happy, given what I'm paying, to be in a basic "ferry-style" cabin for the cruise.  Has anyone else heard about this change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do not know which cabin category you have booked. As a starting point, I do not think the layout of most of the cabins would have been changed during the refurbishment - apart from suites category MX, MG and M2, the other cabins are unchanged compared to the previous 'ferry style' if you compare deck plans for MS Midnatsol with MS Maud.
The majority of the Cabins on Hurtigruten's 'original' ships have always been small and very different and few larger suites.

This would not have changed at the refurbishment. Only the newer ships such as MS Fridtjof Nansen and MS Roald Amundsen have 'up-to-date' cabins.
 Example of MS Maud Arctic Superior cabin

2A7384A7-81DF-4697-A23D-0063F91F7286.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We also received this email about our April 12, 2022 Maud sailing.  We are supposed to get an M or MG suite according to an earlier email we received.  

Are there any recent photos of this category suite?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonikal said:

M or MG suite according to an earlier email we received.

This is a picture of MG-816 with ‘scenic view window’ - layout at MS Maud is exact the same

Two MG and a M2 with balcony at deck 7

435EA40D-1880-408D-8A0D-BA010A157A26.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do not know which cabin category you have booked. As a starting point, I do not think the layout of most of the cabins would have been changed during the refurbishment - apart from suites category MX, MG and M2, the other cabins are unchanged compared to the previous 'ferry style' if you compare deck plans for MS Midnatsol with MS Maud.
The majority of the Cabins on Hurtigruten's 'original' ships have always been small and very different and few larger suites.

This would not have changed at the refurbishment. Only the newer ships such as MS Fridtjof Nansen and MS Roald Amundsen have 'up-to-date' cabins.
 Example of MS Maud Arctic Superior cabin

2A7384A7-81DF-4697-A23D-0063F91F7286.jpeg

Yesterday, I received an direct email from Hurtigruten yesterday regarding the changes.  They wrote:

Specifically, we have not fully refurbished public areas, cabins will not be upgraded as planned, and the introduction of a Wellness Centre will not happen.

 

I had booked an inside cabin which was advertised as: 

"Our Polar Inside cabins are on decks 4, 6, 7 and 8 and include a bathroom with a shower. These cabins have a queen bed or separate beds and a TV. Each Polar Inside cabin has its own unique specifications. Inside cabin: Cabins on decks 4, 6, and 7 that sleeps up to two people, with a double bed or flexible sleeping arrangements, kettle and TV. Cabin grade: I2"

  

What I wanted was a double bed, rather than the narrow fold-down single bed that I had years ago when I did the coastal voyage on Hurtigruten.  

The photos of the outside version looked like this, which was also described as having a double bed

maud cabin 1.jpg

Edited by comcox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do not expect all cabins to look like this even after renovation.  There would have been no change in cabin layout compared to MS Midnatsol - cabins will have the same layout and very different. Some with double bed and some with ‘flexible sleeping arrangement’ and “has its own unique specifications” - which means very different in size and layout.
No change from MS Midnatsol.

When I have sailed with Hurtigruten, I have always had a cabin with a double bed, but with unspecified cabin you might end up with ‘flexible arrangement’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

comcox: I'm also impacted on more than one voyage by this. Have been on Midnatsol several times including in inside cabins. There are 2 layouts, as per hallasm's photo with picture on wall instead of window and another with one bed (converting to settee) at right angles ie under window/back wall. This 2nd layout is my preference. I know Deck 6 inside cabins are of this 2nd layout & think Deck 4. Easy to find photos on Google - search both Trollfjord and Midnatsol as sister ships.

hallasm is correct that the size/position of cabins were not planned to change (so sizes will be identical) but I believe internal layouts and furniture were planned too be changed in all cabins.

If you definitely want a double bed there are only a handful unless you go for (a very expensive) suite. Having said that the singles (including the sofa conversion ones) are not very narrow (at least on Midnatsol) and very comfortable. Part of the refurb. work that has been carried out is the (re-)installation of TVs in all cabins - these have bow view, satellite channels including English Language ones plus in-house channels. I certainly rate them better than basic "ferry style" but your view may be different. If you have cabin number I can perhaps give you some further info.

 

jonikal: I'm also impacted on more than one voyage by this. Have been on Midnatsol several times including in an MG Suite as per hallasm's photo. Surprised Hurti are saying M or MG class. These are significantly different prices and styles. I believe there is only 1 M Class Suite at stern of Deck 7. The 2 MG Suites on Deck 7 (at stern) are very different to those (10 of I think) on Deck 8 (as in photo). The 3 Deck 7 stern suites all have balcony whereas those on Deck 8 have a large Bay Window, which I'd certainly choose outside of summer season. Easy to find photos on Google - search both Trollfjord and Midnatsol as sister ships.

 

Happy to try & clarify any other details I know of

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, derek_in_eastcote said:

We're booked on a trip in September 2022 and had the email regarding the refurbishment. I've sent an enquiry asking about our particular cabin, 747.

 

We've been trying to find pictures of the cabin or something similar. 

Photos of nearby cabins here: http://hurtigwiki.de/schiffe/ms_midnatsol/bilder#deck_7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, richws said:

comcox: I'm also impacted on more than one voyage by this. Have been on Midnatsol several times including in inside cabins. There are 2 layouts, as per hallasm's photo with picture on wall instead of window and another with one bed (converting to settee) at right angles ie under window/back wall. This 2nd layout is my preference. I know Deck 6 inside cabins are of this 2nd layout & think Deck 4. Easy to find photos on Google - search both Trollfjord and Midnatsol as sister ships.

hallasm is correct that the size/position of cabins were not planned to change (so sizes will be identical) but I believe internal layouts and furniture were planned too be changed in all cabins.

If you definitely want a double bed there are only a handful unless you go for (a very expensive) suite. Having said that the singles (including the sofa conversion ones) are not very narrow (at least on Midnatsol) and very comfortable. Part of the refurb. work that has been carried out is the (re-)installation of TVs in all cabins - these have bow view, satellite channels including English Language ones plus in-house channels. I certainly rate them better than basic "ferry style" but your view may be different. If you have cabin number I can perhaps give you some further info.

 

jonikal: I'm also impacted on more than one voyage by this. Have been on Midnatsol several times including in an MG Suite as per hallasm's photo. Surprised Hurti are saying M or MG class. These are significantly different prices and styles. I believe there is only 1 M Class Suite at stern of Deck 7. The 2 MG Suites on Deck 7 (at stern) are very different to those (10 of I think) on Deck 8 (as in photo). The 3 Deck 7 stern suites all have balcony whereas those on Deck 8 have a large Bay Window, which I'd certainly choose outside of summer season. Easy to find photos on Google - search both Trollfjord and Midnatsol as sister ships.

 

Happy to try & clarify any other details I know of

 

I'm currently booked for cabin 661 sailing April 2022 round U.K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, comcox said:

I'm currently booked for cabin 661 sailing April 2022 round U.K.

comcox: cabin has beds at right angles as described above. Check Hurtiwiki link above for photos of similar layouts. In my view good location (for access to outside Deck 6 walkaround deck, rear stairs & lift). I was once in 685 on Trollfjord, Midnatsol/Maud's sistership, & experienced some vibration when main power pods (360degree pivoting main propulsion units) were driving sideways on port arrival/departure. Your cabin is significantly further forward so probably not an issue. That's only -ve I can think of.. Storage is pretty good & everything is designed well. Oh & bathroom floor is heated :-).

Worth using bow view camera to see whether windy. If so go out onto open deck on lee side of ship (stern of deck 6 was traditionally smokers corner (staff & passengers)on this ship when on Norwegian Coastal service). I'd expect kettle & tea/coffee materials in cabin as well as free in public areas. Hope that's helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, richws said:

comcox: cabin has beds at right angles as described above. Check Hurtiwiki link above for photos of similar layouts. In my view good location (for access to outside Deck 6 walkaround deck, rear stairs & lift). I was once in 685 on Trollfjord, Midnatsol/Maud's sistership, & experienced some vibration when main power pods (360degree pivoting main propulsion units) were driving sideways on port arrival/departure. Your cabin is significantly further forward so probably not an issue. That's only -ve I can think of.. Storage is pretty good & everything is designed well. Oh & bathroom floor is heated :-).

Worth using bow view camera to see whether windy. If so go out onto open deck on lee side of ship (stern of deck 6 was traditionally smokers corner (staff & passengers)on this ship when on Norwegian Coastal service). I'd expect kettle & tea/coffee materials in cabin as well as free in public areas. Hope that's helpful.

Thanks richws.  Vibration has never been a problem for me; I just try to stay away from people noises.  My concern is the bed width.  I am what is euphemistically referred to as a "plus-size" person and I once had a single cabin bed that was only 27" wide.  Anytime I went to roll over I woke myself up worrying I would hit the floor and when there was rough seas I had to pull over a chair against the bed to keep from being rolled out of it.   My memory of the coastal cruise was of a narrow bed with rather too-firm a mattress (this was on the old Nordkapp).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, comcox said:

Thanks richws.  Vibration has never been a problem for me; I just try to stay away from people noises.  My concern is the bed width.  I am what is euphemistically referred to as a "plus-size" person and I once had a single cabin bed that was only 27" wide.  Anytime I went to roll over I woke myself up worrying I would hit the floor and when there was rough seas I had to pull over a chair against the bed to keep from being rolled out of it.   My memory of the coastal cruise was of a narrow bed with rather too-firm a mattress (this was on the old Nordkapp).

Pretty sure the single berths won't be wider than 30" but suggest you email the ship directly with the specific question (probably still Midnatsol rather than Maud - contact details for ships on website). They might be getting a few at moment though.

If double bed is still your only option I'd try the Glasgow-Glasgow voyage on Spitsbergen at same time as yours, mostly doubles on there & smaller ship. Only covers a more limited area (but best British Isles scenery in my book ;-).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We also received the email and are due to travel in October. It simply isn't acceptable for them to advertise refurbished accommodation (public areas and cabins) and then fail to deliver.

We have asked for a refund of our deposit on grounds of misrepresentation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting development.  I emailed Hurtigruten to ask about the renovation. . .that if it was being put off, when would it happen?  They responded that it has yet to be determined.  So I wrote back requesting current photos and they responded:

"At the moment ship is being refurbished, pictures will be available online as soon as all works will be completed."

I checked on the current location of the ship on cruisemapper.com and it showed that it was in Bergen.  Is that where they would be doing the re-fit?

Curious, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I just called Hurtigruten for confirmation of the re-fit and was told that they were not currently refurbishing the ship.  We can expect upgrades to some of the public areas, like the science center, and some of the fabrics in the cabins, but nothing like a complete renovation.  The mock-up photos don't apply.   😟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ship has definitely has had some work done already, it was in shipyard earlier in the year for about 6 weeks. Initial voyage from Dover not now scheduled until July so plenty of time for more work - though don't think decision was time-based. I've had confirmation that all cabins will have TV which wasn't previously the case in Midnatsol. I do think there are pluses & minuses with the full refurb not going ahead. Whilst double beds are a big plus for many, it's arguable that the current cabin layout makes better use of the available space in most cabins. Also the current decor in lounges etc is attractive and more "characterful" than the more "Nordic generic" planned redesign. these views are reflected in several on FB groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After giving the Maud's refurbishing delay some consideration, we decided to switch to another itinerary for May 2022 on the Fram.  It is our favorite ship, having been on several other ships, including new ones, over the years.  Since we liked the Maud's itinerary, we hope to rebook it, or another ship, doing the same route at a later date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did finally hear back from Hurtigruten on bed size and was told 80 cm wide (about 31 inches) which is tight.  They didn't answer my question as to whether kettles will be added nor not--that was another "refurbishment" advertised.  I looked at the photo website richws posted and found picture of 689 (I'm in 661) and that raised another concern as without the bedside shelves (another part of refurb), I have no idea where I will put my CPAP machine at night.  It's beginning to look like I will need to cancel and I'm not happy as I booked other things next year around these dates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, comcox said:

I did finally hear back from Hurtigruten on bed size and was told 80 cm wide (about 31 inches) which is tight.  They didn't answer my question as to whether kettles will be added nor not--that was another "refurbishment" advertised.  I looked at the photo website richws posted and found picture of 689 (I'm in 661) and that raised another concern as without the bedside shelves (another part of refurb), I have no idea where I will put my CPAP machine at night.  It's beginning to look like I will need to cancel and I'm not happy as I booked other things next year around these dates.

Just got follow-up email.  No kettles in the cabin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, comcox said:

I did finally hear back from Hurtigruten on bed size and was told 80 cm wide (about 31 inches) which is tight.  They didn't answer my question as to whether kettles will be added nor not--that was another "refurbishment" advertised.  I looked at the photo website richws posted and found picture of 689 (I'm in 661) and that raised another concern as without the bedside shelves (another part of refurb), I have no idea where I will put my CPAP machine at night.  It's beginning to look like I will need to cancel and I'm not happy as I booked other things next year around these dates.

Useful info, thanks. The photo of 689 partly shows a round table just in front of sofa on RHS. These cabins have always had such a table in my experience & I've used it for laptop etc. They are stable and can easily be moved. Re kettle etc I have in the past taken a travel kettle (virtually identical to those in the more expensive cabins) but not actually used it given you can get tea/coffee/hot water 24 hours a days in public areas. If you do take kettle you can pick up tea bags etc at drinks stations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 5:03 AM, comcox said:

Yesterday, I received an direct email from Hurtigruten yesterday regarding the changes.  They wrote:

Specifically, we have not fully refurbished public areas, cabins will not be upgraded as planned, and the introduction of a Wellness Centre will not happen.

 

I had booked an inside cabin which was advertised as: 

"

 

 Here is a video of my inside cabin on Midnatsol in  November 2018. Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad that Cruise Critic is showing this information about Maud - apparently still Midnatsol and in Bergen.  Our cruise for June to Southern Scandinavia was cancelled so we were able to get a full refund and that arrived within 2 weeks.  Once we saw that no upgrading of the cabins had taken place we no longer wanted to sail on Maud.  The website has subtly changed the cabin photos and the Scandi decor has been replaced by Art Deco!.  We did the coastal voyage on Richard With and accepted the simple and economical cabins which were adequate and comfortable, though the shower would have been difficult for larger people.  Last  year we were lucky enough to get a short cruise on Fridtjof Nansen and appreciated the lovely large Polar Outside cabin and all the public areas and were very much in favour of the technical specification of the ship including hybrid engines.  There was however a big failing with the auditorium design.  Unfortunately Maud is promoted as an expedition ship, at expedition ship prices, with Coastal Voyage cabins and far too many passengers for a good expedition.  It also has many cabins with limited or no visibility.  This is very disappointing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is also upsetting is that they are requiring you pay a cancellation fee if you decide to cancel because of the non-refurbishment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...