No Mardi Gras sailings on the website until October

geaux_aces

On 5/10/2021 at 6:42 AM, nae418 said:

I agree with you both. I'm scheduled on the 8/7 sailing and waiting for the final guidelines. I do not want to wear a mask on board. Hoping to hear something soon.  

I think our sailing on August 7 is dead in the water, so to speak. It seems obvious the line is encouraging us to voluntarily cancel so they don't have to offer the credit when the inevitable happens. Our ship is still over in Spain. We are now within that 90 day window that has been floated as a reasonable timeframe to fully bring up the ship for service.

Our party will be fully vaxxed (15 year old getting it this month with the approval).  

We don't know how fully booked this sailing is/was at the time it was blocked from the website. Let's assume 80%, because any guess is as good as any other.

Let's assume they decide to go for the CDC vaccine threshold and that half of those booked will not sail due to this and/or mask mandates. 

I think this scenario is still a better option for the cruise line than the "test cruises." 

1. The line charges money for these cruises so while they might not turn a profit at the low occupancy, they would lose less than free volunteer passengers, unless, of course, those folks spend a load of cash on incidentals.

2. Vaccines are going to obviously reduce the risk of an outbreak on board. 

3. The line has the opportunity to follow through on the booked sailing for paying passengers rather than cancelling and replacing with volunteers.

4. Even if this is not a test cruise, a lot of learning and information will be generated.

5. So maybe, maybe, we sail. Who knows? Or maybe we are days from the bad news.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:32 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I got my information from an elderly relative who lives there.  I did not google it to check to see if it was true.  She lives in Thousand Oaks, CA and told me they were told to wear a mask if they go outside to check their mail.  When she visited here, she told me I should wash my clothes after going to the grocery store.  They had her scared to death.  I know that the governor out there did have strict lockdowns, while he ignored his own rules for a no mask dinner party.

Where I live, people were able to move about as normal and we were never required to wear a mask while in a park, etc.  I don't know if that was a requirement in California.  All I know is they had her unreasonably fearful and terrified.  Many of then people who live in states like mine were more realistic and knew the crazy lockdowns were ridiculous and overkill.  I used to like in California, but it is ruined in my opinion.  

Please understand that there's a certain segment of people who took a pandemic and turned it into a political football. 

Being that California has more visitors from China than any other state, more international visitors than any other state with the exception of New York, and the highest population as well as mant congested cities, it was a prime breeding ground for Covid.

I personally lost my Mom's sister, a neighbor who was a cop, a former co-worker, both parents of one of my best friends and honestly my list could go on and on of people I either know or know of due to Covid!

My wife is an ER nurse who volunteered in the beginning to treat those coming in with symptoms.

She would cry herself to sleep the first couple of weeks because it was still unclear on how it was transmitted and she was scared, but she still went to work and did her best to help her sick patients.

I say this because the first couple of months California was hit extremely hard and there was good reason to be fearful.

Once it became obvious that social distancing and mask wearing were effective tools in the fight, fear was replaced by common sense and responsible citizens.

I point out to people that the flu season this year was virtually non existent. Why? Mask wearing and lockdowns.

And yet, even with proof that the virus was slowed by using the flu metric as an example, 550,000 fellow Americans were killed by Covid. Imagine how bad it would have been in a state like California if not for all the guidelines that our Governor imposed.

And now, because we have such a high percentage of people getting vaccinated we have the lowest rates in the country.

So hate on California if it makes you feel better, but don't listen or spread the lies that some are spreading because of their political agenda!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, amcankid said:

Please understand that there's a certain segment of people who took a pandemic and turned it into a political football. 

Being that California has more visitors from China than any other state, more international visitors than any other state with the exception of New York, and the highest population as well as mant congested cities, it was a prime breeding ground for Covid.

I personally lost my Mom's sister, a neighbor who was a cop, a former co-worker, both parents of one of my best friends and honestly my list could go on and on of people I either know or know of due to Covid!

My wife is an ER nurse who volunteered in the beginning to treat those coming in with symptoms.

She would cry herself to sleep the first couple of weeks because it was still unclear on how it was transmitted and she was scared, but she still went to work and did her best to help her sick patients.

I say this because the first couple of months California was hit extremely hard and there was good reason to be fearful.

Once it became obvious that social distancing and mask wearing were effective tools in the fight, fear was replaced by common sense and responsible citizens.

I point out to people that the flu season this year was virtually non existent. Why? Mask wearing and lockdowns.

And yet, even with proof that the virus was slowed by using the flu metric as an example, 550,000 fellow Americans were killed by Covid. Imagine how bad it would have been in a state like California if not for all the guidelines that our Governor imposed.

And now, because we have such a high percentage of people getting vaccinated we have the lowest rates in the country.

So hate on California if it makes you feel better, but don't listen or spread the lies that some are spreading because of their political agenda!

They did not report flu's because it was classified as covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

False.

7 hours ago, amcankid said:

True

I wish Common Sense was as contagious as Covid. 

• Like 2

It's great that people who live in strict lockdown states agree with those lockdowns.  Those of us who don't are thankful that our leadership used reasonable measures.  That's the good thing about states making their own rules.  People should live where they like their leadership.  You couldn't pay me to move to California though. I lived there a long time ago when it was once the best state in the country to live. Funny how the governor of California locked everyone down with strict mandates, yet he felt perfectly safe to have a large maskless dinner party.  Hmm.  

I think Florida has some of the best leadership in the country and they let people have their freedom.  

The only people I know who died last year are two relatives in their 20s.  One was murdered and the other died in a car wreck.  So some states didn't need to lock people in their houses to fight the virus.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

As of today 5/13 It is completely sold out except Ocean View and Balcony for two dates in October only. I think they are the 16 and the 23rd of October. November is open for many sailings.

wonder about Christmas.  she has to sail. 

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

wonder about Christmas.  she has to sail. 

Pricing is high. Expected. First no cruises now reduced capacity. These are the least expensive and the lowest priced cabin in each category. Mardi Gras 8 day Dec-18 to 26th. Nice ports if they will be allowed to dock at them. Inside cabin $1,090.00, Ocean View $1,279.00, Balcony $1,469.00, Suite $2,477.00  I see no perks unless you own stock. 8 day, plus it is Christmas may not be that bad after all. So the inside up front port hole $136.25 pp pd plus the tax etc. We do Halloween every year since I retired 11 years ago. Except for last year. Booked on the Mardi Gras cancelled. Booked on it twice prior both cancelled. Maybe this time🤞

So far we're still holding out hope (barely) for our 7/31 sailing.  I have a hunch that regardless of any CDC issues, there's a real problem with staffing up.  It would seem that a lot of the crew would be coming from areas that are still in a pretty precarious state with COVID.  The only reason that I'm still a tiny bit hopeful is that it could be the much awaited inaugural cruise, and that perhaps they could gather vaccinated crew in Barcelona. There may be some incentive for Carnival to make a push for the Mardi Gras....or not, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

We have two cabins assigned and final payment due on 6/24 for sailing date of 10/2.  The sailing date hasn't been on their page for a few weeks now.  I am hoping it is sold out.  I am waiting for a return call from my TA.  Like many others, I have had quite a few cruises cancelled.  So, I hope this one heads. Also, like other people on here, I hope the ship is at capacity.  It would be nice if this was stated on their website.

26 minutes ago, Derbie said:

We have two cabins assigned and final payment due on 6/24 for sailing date of 10/2.  The sailing date hasn't been on their page for a few weeks now.  I am hoping it is sold out.  I am waiting for a return call from my TA.  Like many others, I have had quite a few cruises cancelled.  So, I hope this one heads. Also, like other people on here, I hope the ship is at capacity.  It would be nice if this was stated on their website.

Your TA wouldnt know any more than we do. What do you expect her to say other than what carnival says, its sold out. They dont give out special information to travel agents. It would be illegal for starters to disclose inside information. They say the public line. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derbie said:

With the Mardi Gras on it's way to Port Canaveral now October looks good. Hopefully this week we have some more information since may final payment is on June 6th.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:52 PM, hurricane0226 said:

I'm a RN in a hospital.  I did not do one flu swab this flu season. Normally we swab everyone for flu. It's hard to a virus you don't test for. 

12 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

With the Mardi Gras on it's way to Port Canaveral now October looks good. Hopefully this week we have some more information since may final payment is on June 6th.

How correct you are.

Today 5/23/21

Carnival Mardi Gras current location is at West Mediterranean (coordinates 39.24751 N / 0.80696 E) cruising at speed of 17.6 kn (33 kph/ 20 mph) en route to PORT CANAVERAL.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Your TA wouldnt know any more than we do. What do you expect her to say other than what carnival says, its sold out. They dont give out special information to travel agents. It would be illegal for starters to disclose inside information. They say the public line. 

I figured as much, in regards to the TA not being able to fully disclose anything; however, I would hope there would be information forthcoming. This is why I noted it would be  nice if they put "sold out" on the dates on the website, if this was the case.  The TA called said sold out was the issue, and at this time, that is all she had to offer. Also, who else would we contact?  I read it over-and-over on here, contact your TA.  You recommend sitting back, and asking no one?  That is probably the best given it in the midst of this craziness. 

1 hour ago, Derbie said:

I figured as much, in regards to the TA not being able to fully disclose anything; however, I would hope there would be information forthcoming. This is why I noted it would be  nice if they put "sold out" on the dates on the website, if this was the case.  The TA called said sold out was the issue, and at this time, that is all she had to offer. Also, who else would we contact?  I read it over-and-over on here, contact your TA.  You recommend sitting back, and asking no one?  That is probably the best given it in the midst of this craziness. 

I have a excellent TA but I dont contact him for things I know he will say. As I predicted, since it's not cancelled and not being sold on carnivals web site, they say its sold out. ..its the only thing they can say. Exactly what people here have been saying too. 

My TA has his fingers crossed for my vista cruise for me. I really do hope cruises resume in July, but I'd like to see ships fully crewed and getting vaccinated. Not skeleton crews. If I had to guess I'd say july is too soon and carnival will push everything back. ..but I can read the progress by keeping up as well as my most excellent ta. Maybe by late july there is time, as I figure up to 5 or 6 weeks minimum to vaccinate crew, 3 weeks between pfeizer plus 2 weeks. 

I'm cheering on mardi gras arrival in port Canaveral.. everything positive is something to cheer about. One step closer to resuming. Let's crew up these ships and get going. Carnival really really needs to come out this week with a vaccination policy. My roll call needs to know. Also a mask and excursion policy. As soon as travel agents knows someone posts here on cc. They just dont have information we dont. It gets posted. What travel agents can do is go to bat for you. Terminal 3 in Galveston needs to be finished or my allure is finished ... again. My travel agent got on the phone to grab me a corner aft when my march 2022 turned from allure to liberty. Hes gone twice to revenue at rcl because of ship changes. Things I cant do. Terminal 3 which is needed to dock a large ship like allure still isnt started and I'm getting worried about my 2 allure bookings left. When i lost my allure bookings and complained to my travel agent, tbh he said well you always knew it was a possibility. He knows i know as much as he does which ships will go. No sympathy. But he is excellent going to bat for me. He is unerring on numbers and record keeping.

• Like 3

Local news broadcasts here in Orlando are saying 1st Mardi Gras cruise in August and John Herald is also planning to be on Mardi Gras 1st sailing in AUGUST. So there ya go! Of course this is subject to change.

Additionally, pvp’s only go by the information they are provided. Mine says no cruises are happening because, well none are sailing yet or have been green lighted officially.

Edited by Shakatime
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shakatime said:

Local news broadcasts here in Orlando are saying 1st Mardi Gras cruise in August and John Herald is also planning to be on Mardi Gras 1st sailing in AUGUST. So there ya go! Of course this is subject to change.

Additionally, pvp’s only go by the information they are provided. Mine says no cruises are happening because, well none are sailing yet or have been green lighted officially.

Topic is October and that is what I was referring to for Fully Booked.