Alaska Railroad tours advice

Turangi!

On 6/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, Turangi! said:

Northern Aurora,

Will we see Puffins on the 6-hour Kenai tour or do we have to do the 8.5 hour trip? 

ML

I don't know.   We have never done the 6 hour tour but always do the full day 8.5 hour trip.  You may want to e-mail the vendor.

• Like 1

Northern Aurora!

Thanks, will  contact the vendor once we figure out everything!  We are undecided between the 6-hour tour on the bigger boat vs the smaller boat getting into smaller bays!  

ML

You two have had a nice conversation.  Here’s my two cents (not as interesting).

We got off a northbound cruise in Whittier and got to Anchorage somehow.  Overnight at the Embassy Suites (near shops and hotels, not downtown).  Walked to Moose’s Tooth for pizza for dinner.  No car. 

Early next morning, hotel shuttle took us to train depot.  We had a lovely 12-hour ride to Fairbanks, dropping off most people at Denali.  Wish I had time to actually go into Denali - at least for the record.  Saw the multitude of hotels across the way (not in the park) where they store the tourists and was glad to have missed that.

Our car had replica (but comfortable 1950s seating and a glass-domed observation car upstairs). RCL had its own car towards the back of the train.  Ours was very peaceful.

3A2266A0-9B6B-4C19-88A5-D28BD45B2706.jpeg.5bae5014621b8ab2a33c3a6fecb7abae.jpeg

866DD047-A26A-4BEF-AB99-65F94EF73CFA.jpeg.2ae787740935c5dd2ccb71be212adceb.jpeg

We were fortunate to see Mt Denali for a long time.

22D59DA2-8E85-4042-BDA2-341E6C63A6F0.jpeg.7930bec7f7c8b9e65256ac510e5260fa.jpeg

Lovely interior Alaska:

1405C600-FB0D-4810-9B61-2B4F2E75FB8C.thumb.jpeg.917fb342ccb5597f59346d4489bc0873.jpeg

0F6FB310-0AC0-4F98-95C1-E6F02F7F71AC.thumb.jpeg.29e30c3429f5b27d278eaddeb8a4cb15.jpeg

We stayed overnight in sleepy Fairbanks.  Next day, walked along the river and visited the museum before a late night flight back to the SE lower 48.

BA2F6DCB-2798-4462-AE08-92D044B9C52A.jpeg.af2490163f65b1fa5ddda061b4689f5a.jpeg

B02EBE95-C154-4181-84D6-1E776F15A9CC.jpeg.b35ed3400c7cdcc92c86dd50f163f137.jpeg

Happy anniversary.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alohayall said:

Early next morning, hotel shuttle took us to train depot.  We had a lovely 12-hour ride to Fairbanks, dropping off most people at Denali.  Wish I had time to actually go into Denali - at least for the record.  Saw the multitude of hotels across the way (not in the park) where they store the tourists and was glad to have missed that.Our car had replica (but comfortable 1950s seating and a glass-domed observation car upstairs). RCL had its own car towards the back of the train.  Ours was very peaceful.

The picture of the Vista-Dome car interior is perfect, with just the right amount of use such that anyone can access it and without the railroad having to enforce any limitation. I have not heard the word "replica" used for the car seating, though I can appreciate its use, especially when compared to how Amtrak had re-seated much of its heritage fleet in its final days, the seating being much less-comfortable modern seating vis-à-vis the original 1950s era seats (why can't Amtrak have seats that recline decently and not have a steel bar between adjacent seats?!).

I appreciate the comments on the tourist storage areas at Denali, as I think--and elsewhere--there are masses of tourists because they've been told that they "need" to do what the tour operators provide, even if without independent appreciation of what it is they're doing. Alas, public transportation is sparse in Alaska, so it can be difficult to arrange to do much beyond what the tour operators offer (unless one possesses a driving license and vehicle). Going to see Fairbanks avoids much of the tourist trail; for a future trip my desire is to take bus beyond Fairbanks to Deadhorse, touring Prudhoe Bay and stepping into the Arctic Ocean. The bus ride to Deadhorse, operated by Dalton Highway Express, is only twice weekly, takes 16 hours each way from Fairbanks (500 miles), and costs an eye-popping $250 each way. Yes, a few (mostly?) tourists, but certainly off the beaten trail.

Alohayall,

Great pictures… especially of Denali from the train!  Like that your Dome  car was not crowded… Thanks for sharing your experience.  I also like to see what others take for pictures so I know what I should be taking!!!  I get home and wish I had taken more picture!  Looking at our honeymoon slides from 1982, there is only one picture of both of us on the Alaska State ferry with the sun behind us!  Hopefully I can photoshop our faces so you can see it is us! 🌞

We are not hotel snobs, so as long as it is clean and the bed not too bad, it is only for a night or two!  That said it looks like the nightly rates are outrageous in Alaska and we are expecting to stay in as you so succinctly put it “tourist storage”!  As long as the screens work and the insects don’t get in, we will be fine!

GTJ,

Wow, never even heard of Deadhorse but sounds like an interesting adventure if I was much younger!!   Do not really want to ever spend 16 hours on a bus!   We did look at going to Fairbanks but decided that flights were better out of Anchorage but hard to tell from this year’s schedules! 

ML

We did look at going to Fairbanks but decided that flights were better out of Anchorage but hard to tell from this year’s schedules! 

There is limited non-stop service to Fairbanks (FAI) from the lower 48 -

Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) works for those in the eastern half of the lower 48

For those in the west Seattle (SEA) is the launch point 

And then the connections via Anchorage (ANC)

Clue-Hint - Red-Eye flights to the lower 48 after cruise end ANC or Alaska RR at FAI

Hotels around the airport are generally less expensive - in Anchorage around the AK RR depot.

Don't forget about the B&B hotels if planning more than a days stay

• Thanks 1