Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

But isn't the Venus departing from Valletta today with UK tourists on board? Surely they are all subject to the same insurance problem at this point, and yet they're all being allowed onto the ship. This is so confusing. 😩

The cruise departing today was not advertised in the UK. (Though I do know it was possible if you asked, to try to get booked on it.) So I expect its US only on board. That said, this also applies to the Iceland cruises and they will have UK guests on board.

I'm guessing they maybe have just woken up they are selling cruises to UK passengers who legally cant travel unless they do so without any insurance. And since that's a contractual obligation to have insurance, they are now making sure.... and no doubt refuse entry without.

18 minutes ago, les37b said:

Its unlikely your insurance will cover travel that the government advises against.

This is the advisory.

There is no problem with cruising in UK waters... just not international. So effectively making your policy null and void.

If your policy states you are fine to travel in international waters and to ignore advisories, then you will be fine. I for one would love to know the details so I can buy it.

Maybe search  "Travel Insurance Against FCDO Advice" ?

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Thank you for this. My insurance company do indeed offer extra cover for travelling against FCDO advice. 👍

I fell foul of this as well - I had the FCDO extension for those countries that the FCDO advised against all but essential travel - BUT - that does not apply to the FCDO advice against International Cruise travel, therefore, policy invalid and no insurance companies will cover for international cruises while FCDO advise against travel.

Edited by Icedonut

22 minutes ago, Icedonut said:

I fell foul of this as well - I had the FCDO extension for those countries that the FCDO advised against all but essential travel - BUT - that does not apply to the FCDO advice against International Cruise travel, therefore, policy invalid and no insurance companies will cover for international cruises while FCDO advise against travel.

That's not what Staysure have just said to me when I called them. This is so confusing. So have Viking told you that your FCDO extension was not acceptable? 

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 1

There is hope  for the Malta cruise. We will be making a new video soon, but for those who have inquired, the Cruise Companions, Ken & Martha have successfully boarded the Viking Venus in Malta. We are prepared for a great cruise with many Covid restrictions. Based on info from the cruise, there will only be about 200 fellow cruisers on this trip. More to follow…

K-m_venus.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jsam949 said:

Here’s the latest news regarding entry requirements for Malta.

According to Malta Airport, only the following vaccination certificates will be accepted for entry:

• Maltese Vaccination Certificate
  • EU Digital COVID Certificate (Switzerland has joined the EU Digital COVID Certificate framework, and therefore, the Swiss Certificate is also being accepted by the Maltese Authorities)
  • Dubai Health Authority Vaccination Certificate
  • Turkish Health Certificate
  • United Kingdom Vaccination Certificates: 
    • England: NHS Covid Pass (Digital App and NHS Letter)
    • Wales: NHS Covid Pass Letter
    • Scotland: NHS Letter demonstrating Covid-19 vaccination status
    • Northern Ireland: Interim proof of vaccination document which is valid until 11:59pm on 31st July 2021

https://www.maltairport.com/covid19/arrival/?w3tc_note=flush_all#VC

NO mention of the United State’s CDC Vaccination Card.

But according to Times of Malta, the government is in talks with other countries and additional certificates may be added. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/maltas-latest-travel-rules-explained.886552.amp

Praying they decide to recognise the CDC issued card. Or that Viking is able to obtain exceptions for entry for all guests who are booked for upcoming cruises.

Actually the latest is from this legal document from the Maltese government. Note that the US is on the list for those countries that the Maltese will be accepting proof of vaccination.

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/eng

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

That's not what Staysure have just said to me when I called them. This is so confusing. So have Viking told you that your FCDO extension was not acceptable? 

I know - I have spoken to Staysure as well - their staff are looking at the 'countries' covered by their FCDO extension, they were unaware of the FCDO international cruise advice. The lady I spoke to had to go and check with the underwriters and then told me that it was invalid. I queried why it was being sold to UK travellers and her response was that it had only just been opened up as an option - I suspect because they thought the FCOD advice was going to change - but it hasn't and they've missed it.

I think you need to ask them again, as others have been told it does not cover them.

31 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

I presume you took out the cruise extension too? 

Can be a bit confusing, there are essentially different FCDO advisories

"advise against travel"

"advise against all but essential travel"

"advise against ALL TRAVEL"

and insurance policies vary at what point they withdraw cover, when it gets to "advise against ALL TRAVEL" you are definitely "on your own" 🙃

28 minutes ago, Icedonut said:

28 minutes ago, Icedonut said:

I know - I have spoken to Staysure as well - their staff are looking at the 'countries' covered by their FCDO extension, they were unaware of the FCDO international cruise advice. The lady I spoke to had to go and check with the underwriters and then told me that it was invalid. I queried why it was being sold to UK travellers and her response was that it had only just been opened up as an option - I suspect because they thought the FCOD advice was going to change - but it hasn't and they've missed it.

I think you need to ask them again, as others have been told it does not cover them.

Well I guess that's our 24th July cruise ruled out then. We'll lift and shift to another date when hopefully the government will adjust its advice. So annoying, but I'm sure there are hundreds of Brits affected whom have cruises booked on these Malta cruises over the coming months.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

At this stage I'd be more than satisfied with a cruise through the Adriatic without port stops, if it came to that. Like most of us, I'm just desperate to escape and soak up Vikings relaxing luxury cruise offering 🤞

Amen.  I’ll take an Adriatic cruise-to-nowhere.  I will be very grateful for that 

1 hour ago, Icedonut said:

1 hour ago, mediawise said:

There is hope  for the Malta cruise. We will be making a new video soon, but for those who have inquired, the Cruise Companions, Ken & Martha have successfully boarded the Viking Venus in Malta. We are prepared for a great cruise with many Covid restrictions. Based on info from the cruise, there will only be about 200 fellow cruisers on this trip. More to follow…

K-m_venus.jpeg

Have a wonderful time.   Looking forward to hearing all about it as we gear up for 8/3!

1 hour ago, mediawise said:

K-m_venus.jpeg

Have a wonderful time.   Keep us up to date on the experience!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, barney61 said:

I just received an email from Viking asking me to confirm with my insurer that I am covered fot international cruising and they want it in writing.

Yes we're all receiving them. Unfortunately because the UK government is advising against taking International cruises, our insurance policies that include cruise cover are essentially useless. Even adding an FCDO travel advice extension to your policy won't change this.

This means that all British residents will not be able to cruise with Viking because they'll be unable to get adequate insurance. Their email has basically thrown us all under the bus, as none of us will be able to travel unless we can find an underwriter whom will create a bespoke policy (with written confirmation) that we are insured for international cruises.

Of course there is a slim chance that government advice could change, but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. In the meantime, for those of us that were due to travel in the next 10 days, we cannot get a full refund and can only lift and shift to another cruise with a cruise credit. What an absolute farce. 🤬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mediawise said:

K-m_venus.jpeg

Looks like a beautiful day!  Can't wait to hear more from both of you.  Enjoy!

I applaud and thank Ken and Martha for keeping us future "Welcome Back" Cruisers up to date. I hope this insurance issue doesn't affect Americans and sincerely hope the UK can get it figured out so we can all cruise together. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CLBSC said:

I applaud and thank Ken and Martha for keeping us future "Welcome Back" Cruisers up to date. I hope this insurance issue doesn't affect Americans and sincerely hope the UK can get it figured out so we can all cruise together. 

I think the insurance requirement is UK only since UK insurers apparently can’t go against directives from the UK government. We don’t have that issue with US insurers when our State Dept. issues travel alerts or warnings. But you have to read the fine print and make sure you’re covered for what you want—especially regarding Covid.

• Like 1

I emailed a copy of the US Embassy Malta statement the US citizens could not enter Malta after July 14 along with same information on Malta Health website and questioned the status of Viking Sea July 21 cruise.  This was the response:

Dear Willard and Sandra Lester,

Thank you for your email. We hope you and your family are healthy and safe. 

We understand your concern. Viking is working closely with the Maltese Health Authorities to ensure all our guests are allowed to arrive in Malta and embark their ship. The Viking Health & Safety Program is one of the most well-researched and comprehensive COVID-19 prevention and mitigation plans in the travel industry; therefore, we are confident that our voyages from Malta will operate as planned.

If we can be of further assistance at this time, please reply to this email or you may call our Contact Center at (888) 663-8454 to speak to any specialized service agent.

Best Regards,

Mireille Keshishian

Guest Services Department

I don’t know how we will be able to navigate this at the airports. I would like to see something from Malta like the email that the July 14 cruise received. 

Best Regards,

Mireille Keshishian

48 minutes ago, Sle0902 said:

I emailed a copy of the US Embassy Malta statement the US citizens could not enter Malta after July 14 along with same information on Malta Health website and questioned the status of Viking Sea July 21 cruise.  This was the response:

Dear Willard and Sandra Lester,

Thank you for your email. We hope you and your family are healthy and safe. 

We understand your concern. Viking is working closely with the Maltese Health Authorities to ensure all our guests are allowed to arrive in Malta and embark their ship. The Viking Health & Safety Program is one of the most well-researched and comprehensive COVID-19 prevention and mitigation plans in the travel industry; therefore, we are confident that our voyages from Malta will operate as planned.

If we can be of further assistance at this time, please reply to this email or you may call our Contact Center at (888) 663-8454 to speak to any specialized service agent.

Best Regards,

Mireille Keshishian

I don’t know how we will be able to navigate this at the airports. I would like to see something from Malta like the email that the July 14 cruise received. 

Best Regards,

Mireille Keshishian

We are also on the Sea July 21-if I don’t have nervous breakdown. I do think Viking will provide something that gets you to Malta, but when??  Their lack of communication is very lame. And do we need the difficult to get and expensive PCR test with fast results? This takes planning and coordination-can’t wait until night before. I have spent hours most days on phone with Viking peopleso many problems with this cruise. Calling the front line agents is useless they don’t know anything. I’m telling them stuff. Only way I’ve gotten results is by posting on Instagram! Then you get a personal call from a supervisor!! And you’d be surprised what they can suddenly fix for you after being told no.  I know most of this is out of Vikings control, but their communication is severely lacking-those of us traveling next week need specific information not just don’t worry we have it handled. 

• Like 1

Your cruise companions have made their way onto the ship and have settled into their cabin.  They are among the 200 passengers that boarded on 'Wednesday.  This ship has about 400 crew so the passengers will be well cared for during the voyage.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

We are on the Iceland trip in August.  I contacted Staysure to check this out as our policy is with them. The person I spoke to was adamant we were covered. So there is a difference depending who you speak to!!  I think I  will email them and ask them to clarify this -  it takes a long time to get through to someone.

Just now, Queenie1603 said:

We are on the Iceland trip in August.  I contacted Staysure to check this out as our policy is with them. The person I spoke to was adamant we were covered. So there is a difference depending who you speak to!!  I think I  will email them and ask them to clarify this -  it takes a long time to get through to someone.

It's an awful situation us Brits have been put in and the conflicting information from Staysure isn't helping. I've contacted 5 other insurance companies in the UK and all of them have said that they cannot provide insurance for International cruises because of the government advisory.

We're 9 days from taking this cruise and Viking are acting like nothing has changed. Just last night I received a reminded that our health questionnaire would need to be completed in 2 days time. What's more confusing is that there was no mention of what will happen if we're unable to provide proof on International cruise cover. Can we still travel? Will we be denied boarding?

I've been racking my brain, trying to come up with a solution and the only thing I can think of is finding a non UK based insurance company to provide cover. I'm currently in contact with an insurer in the US that provides cover to non US International travellers. I'm still waiting for more information from them.