Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

6 minutes ago, jsam949 said:

This is the direct link to the statement I  posted above: 

https://foreignandeu.gov.mt/en/Government/Pages/COVID-19-Info.aspx

Based on the info that I have seen, it appears that travel to and from the select states in the USA is permitted however a “recognised”vaccine certificate must be presented. Unvaccinated travelers and those without a “recognised” vaccination certificate must quarantine for 14 days.

Linda shared and mentioned the revised legal notice from July 13th. I don't think that it is saying that USA vaccination cards are acceptable for entry to Malta.. The following wording is confusing:

“Provided further that persons may travel from Malta to the countries listed in this proviso and from the countries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upon their arrival in Malta, they are in possession of a vaccination certificate”

I think this legislation is referring specifically to travelers who were vaccinated in Malta or any other European Union Country, the United Kingdom, Turkey, or Dubai. Any person with proof of a covid vaccination that was administered in one of these countries can enter Malta when traveling FROM the USA (selected states) or any of the other red list countries.

For example.. A hypothetical situation that this could apply to would be if a Maltese citizen was just visiting Los Angeles and is now returning to Malta.. Or perhaps a Turkish citizen who has been in New York and now wants to go vacation in Malta, they can fly from USA to Malta and forego a quarantine as long as they present their valid vaccination card. This leaves Americans in the dark since our cards are not being accepted. An exception might be an American citizen who for whatever reason got vaccinated in one of the above-mentioned countries (doubt there are few if any meeting this criteria).

The new legislation replaces the old legislation, and the new one does not say “valid” vaccination certificate. Nor does what I quoted from it say Maltese citizens—it just says “persons.” This is a legal document and the language is quite a bit different from the old regulation—I think you’re speculating too much without knowing what it actually means. If you are somehow correct, then it’s pretty sloppy legal work by the Maltese—because it is quite different from the previous language.

8 minutes ago, jsam949 said:

The guests for July 14 were given an exception. They got a letter of authorization from a Health ministry official allowing them entry with the CDC card. 

My hope is that Viking is working to get an exception for the rest of us with upcoming cruises to enter malta without having to quarantine. Or that Malta decides to recognize Vaccination certificates from the USA.

I realize they got an exception. But the point is they recognized the CDC card—so there’s no reason they can’t recognize it outside this exception. I too hope they clear this up asap because we are booked on the Sept. 12 cruise and already have a flight coming in early.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Please don’t forget to also read the legislation that was published July 13 which has yet to be reflected at the Health Ministry’s website:

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/eng

“B2249B 2249Provided further that persons may travel fromMalta to the countries listed in this proviso and from thecountries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upontheir arrival in Malta, they are in possession of a vaccination certificate:”

The US is listed—all 50 states—along with a bunch of other countries. Inexplicable why it is not yet listed in the actual regulations. 

You’ll note that right before this legislation was published, US cruise pax coming in for the July 14  cruise were required to show proof of vaccination—their CDC card.

I didn't even notice they listed all 50 states on that! All this digging around for information and reading and trying to make sense of things has got my head spinning. I just keep hoping to see something in writing (worded in a way that is easy to understand) that our vaccination cards will be accepted. I’m set to cruise in two weeks and after a year + of international trip cancellations.. I was really looking forward to this.. As if everyone else I a sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I realize they got an exception. But the point is they recognized the CDC card—so there’s no reason they can’t recognize it outside this exception. I too hope they clear this up asap because we are booked on the Sept. 12 cruise and already have a flight coming in early.

When they added they finally added the USA to the amber list in mid June and I saw California on there, I jumped for joy. It was such a huge sigh of relief. Fast forward to July, and now I’m back to worry mode. I’ve still got an inkling of hope that this trip will still commence though! I’ve already invested a ton of time into this - from navigating around all the crazy rules to hours of research and itinerary planning (I have plans to stay post-cruise for a few days). A last minute cancellation would crush my spirit. Travel truly is my therapy and this trip is definitely MUCH needed. Praying for the best!!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The changes to Malta's entry rules over the last week have caused Air Malta and local hotels to lose a substantial amount of business. Check out this article in the Times of Malta.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/new-travel-rules-air-malta-sees-over-6000.886951

Not a good look for the Maltese government. I don't think they put enough thought and consideration into these changes And the huge (negative) impact caused by the changes

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, CLBSC said:

I applaud and thank Ken and Martha for keeping us future "Welcome Back" Cruisers up to date. I hope this insurance issue doesn't affect Americans and sincerely hope the UK can get it figured out so we can all cruise together. 

The cruise is going great so far.  Today a very restful day at sea for us and our 180 fellow passengers.  As Americans, we have had no insurance issues.  We carry repatriation and medical insurance.  Our carriers continue to offer coverage as normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, CLBSC said:

Wow, so informative and reassuring to finally see your smiles from Malta. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences during these unusual travel times. You both deserve your own private yacht.  Could you ask someone if Viking is limiting the max numbers of passengers or should we expect a full ship in late August? Anxious to hear your experiences in Montenegro and Croatia. Finally, are you required to wear a mask outside around the pool? Does anyone have any recommendations for "cool and comfortable" masks?

The word from the staff on board is that next cruise has about the same passenger load as this first one, but thereafter passenger numbers increase to 400 or so.  Of course there could be some additional sales should these first cruises be successful.  Viking has not placed a limit on capacity.

Hello, I am new to all this and we haven't actually booked this cruise yet (potentially August 13).  Of course, it may be too late by now, but we were waiting to see what happens with the first cruise and with the Malta regulations.

We are from the US and in one of the hopefully accepted states (CA) with a vaccination certificate.  We aren't sure though about the insurance.  I assume that insurance is required for these cruises.  Is that the case?  Do people use the Viking insurance or purchase their own?

Anyway, it is good to hear the updates and I remain hopeful that things will all go well with cruising this summer.

My airline here in the US sent us a notice that we will not be able to board our flight (EWR to Zurich to Malta) without a Certificate of Vaccination from either the EU or the NHS.  US CDC cards will not be accepted.  I am trying to find out if Viking has some sort of documentation so we can show in order to board the flights.  Not sure what to do...

• The Maltese government has announced that as of July 14, 2021, any person entering Malta must provide a Maltese Vaccination Certificate, NHS Vaccination Certificate, EU Vaccination Certificate, Dubai Health Authority Vaccination Certificate, or Turkish Vaccination Certificate- any of which must show a full course of vaccination was taken and 14 days have passed since the last dose. Currently, CDC vaccination certificates are not being accepted by Maltese authorities for entry into Malta. 

• Airlines are to deny boarding to persons not abiding with the Maltese regulations. 

• Travelers who arrive in Malta and attempt to enter Malta without the above mentioned vaccination certificates shall be required to submit themselves to a period of quarantine of 14 days at a  government mandated quarantine hotel chosen by the Superintendent of Public Health, regardless of the traveler’s planned accommodation. The traveler must pay the cost of the hotel and any additional expenses, including required PCR tests. 

I was told by my TA that the itineraries heading from Malta to Greece are being booked to only 50% capacity as that was a requirement of either Greece or Malta. Considering that Viking UK was selling cruises on June and July trips with no single supplement (ie, get 2 cabins for the price of one), that makes sense.

Recognize Viking hasn’t been very communicative to allay concerns about whether vaccinated US customers will be enter to Malta, do remember that the cruises currently at sea will have a similar issue when they return to Malta—Americans will need to be able to offload to fly home.  So, if Malta were to NOT allow Americans into Malta, Viking would have to terminate the current cruises somewhere else and then would use that port for remaining cruises.  Don’t believe that will occur, but it is a backup plan for Viking to use Athens or Rome as their hub for the remaining cruises. Don’t think that will be needed however.  Instead, at a minimum, I expect that Viking is securing the same Malta Public Health letters it obtained for the 14 July for its remaining trips.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Does anyone know if Americans are allowed to even apply for a certificate of vaccination from either the EU or the NHS?  

The EU has claimed they are trying to find a way to link/sync our CDC vaccination certificates with the EU Digital Pass, but I have seen nothing on the success of this so far. The EU Commission voted in May to accept US vaccination certificates, but member states can set their own rules. So far those countries in Europe accepting our cards (that I know of) are: Iceland  (in Schengen but not EU), Greece, Italy, Spain, Germany, & France.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rizello said:

Hello, I am new to all this and we haven't actually booked this cruise yet (potentially August 13).  Of course, it may be too late by now, but we were waiting to see what happens with the first cruise and with the Malta regulations.

We are from the US and in one of the hopefully accepted states (CA) with a vaccination certificate.  We aren't sure though about the insurance.  I assume that insurance is required for these cruises.  Is that the case?  Do people use the Viking insurance or purchase their own?

Anyway, it is good to hear the updates and I remain hopeful that things will all go well with cruising this summer.

Setting aside all the covid-related insurance questions: in general, cruise insurance is not required.  Viking sells it, but you can purchase cruise insurance independently -- I used insuremytrip.com to find an insurance carrier.  Other than the star rating from the website I don't know what they would be like if I ever filed a claim (and certainly hope I don't find out).  But they were considerably cheaper than what Viking was offering.

9 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Does anyone know if Americans are allowed to even apply for a certificate of vaccination from either the EU or the NHS?  

Nope we can’t… looked into it already. I read that its something that could potentially be an option later.

56 minutes ago, rizello said:

Don't!

We go to Squaremouth.com. Only  once in our many travels have we used insurance when we were on a Transatlantic and luggage did not show up. Yes, we survived and even had fun shopping for my 6'5" husband in Portugal. Tin Leg was very easy to work with. We only use insurance for added medical and repatriation. Much less expensive than the cruise lines but be sure to read the fine print.

From a few minutes ago:

“At this time, our guest are expected to be able to travel to Malta as Viking is working closely with the Malta Government to allow this to happen. Should anything change for your cruise, Viking will notify you promptly via email. “

In the UK site, Viking have now pulled the Malta cruises from July and they now start at the beginning of August.

Has anyone with bookings for the Adriatic 21 or 24 July or Greek 31 July been told anything? This Iceland ones on the UK site have also been removed 

They've only been pulled on the UK site. They are still showing on the US site so US may sail with even less than the 14th Sailing (at 167 !!)

Edited by les37b

2 hours ago, les37b said:

In the UK site, Viking have now pulled the Malta cruises from July and they now start at the beginning of August.

Has anyone with bookings for the Adriatic 21 or 24 July or Greek 31 July been told anything? This Iceland ones on the UK site have also been removed 

They've only been pulled on the UK site. They are still showing on the US site so US may sail with even less than the 14th Sailing (at 167 !!)

My understanding the 21st of July cruise was promoted as  a 11th to 31st July cruise and similarly the one the left on the 14th so essentially back to back cruises.

Considering these cruises have commenced I think it unlikely they will cancel the 21st and 24th segments, but in these weird and wonderful times who knows !

Anyway it looks like those lucky cruisers on the Viking Sea have Santorini to themselves so far 

Live Cam Santorini (skylinewebcams.com)

😎

Edited by Alan2504
cam added
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

My understanding the 21st of July cruise was promoted as  a 11th to 31st July cruise and similarly the one the left on the 14th so essentially back to back cruises.

Considering these cruises have commenced I think it unlikely they will cancel the 21st and 24th segments, but in these weird and wonderful times who knows !

Anyway it looks like those lucky cruisers on the Viking Sea have Santorini to themselves so far 

Live Cam Santorini (skylinewebcams.com)

😎

No, they won't be cancelled (at least I doubt). They are not blocked to US citizens, just the UK.

You can still book on the US site, so it's clear what the removal on the UK site is for.

Ken and Martha- how strict are they about masks? Are you able to remove them around the pool? Does Viking provide masks? If so, are you still able to wear personal masks?

Is it hot or windy eating alfresco?

Also, what is the best way to get spa/restaurant reservations when you arrive on board? Is it better to go to the restaurants or just use the app? I s the app useful?

Looks like reservations are not going to be a problem for you. I hope you are relaxing and enjoying this once in a lifetime "private" trip.

I got this message less than an hour ago. Looks good for vaccinated US  passengers.

Message to U.S. Citizens:  U.S. Embassy in Malta (July 17, 2021)

Event: Announcement of new restrictions from the Maltese government in response to rising numbers of COVID cases

Travel Information:

The Ministry of Health announced the Government of Malta will recognize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card beginning July 19.  CDC cards will be valid for quarantine-free entry into Malta as of July 19, provided holders have received a full vaccination course and that 14 days have passed since their last dose.  Beginning August 1, the Government of Malta will require CDC vaccination cards to be digitally verified, but further details have yet to be released.

Malta requires all travelers to present Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination for quarantine-free travel to Malta.  The Government of Malta currently only recognizes the Maltese vaccine certificate, UK-issued NHS COVID pass, EU COVID pass, Dubai Health Authority vaccine certificate, and the Turkish vaccine certificate.  Malta will recognize the CDC card beginning July 19.  Those who are not in possession of Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required to submit themselves to a mandatory quarantine period of 14 days at a government mandated hotel at a cost of 100 euros per night. They must also present a negative pharyngeal Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test performed no earlier than 72 hours prior to their arrival to Malta.  Airlines will deny boarding to those who do not fulfill the before-mentioned requirements.

Commercial flights remain available for U.S. citizens in Malta who want to return to the United States.  On January 12, 2021, the CDC announced an order requiring all air passengers (including U.S. citizens) arriving to the United States from a foreign country to undergo COVID-19 testing no more than three days before their flight departs and to present the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight.

The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Malta advising travelers to reconsider travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 (COVID-19 Low) Travel Recommendation for Malta. 

Actions to Take: 

·       Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. 

·       For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.

·       Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. 

·       Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

·       Visit the U.S. Embassy Malta webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malta.

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Travel to Malta webpage for information on traveling to Malta.

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Mandatory Standards and Guidance webpage for information on current restrictions.

Assistance: 

·       U.S. Embassy Valletta, Malta 

Ta’Qali National Park 

Attard, ATD 4000 

Phone number (business hours) +356 2561 4000 

Phone number (after hours) +356 2561 4000

Email: ConsularMalta@state.gov

·       State Department - Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·       Malta Country Information 

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter