Suite on Virtuosa (not Yacht Club) - Perks? Pros and Cons?

annarack

Hi, are there any perks (other than the size) to booking a suite rather than a standard balcony on MSC (Virtuosa UK cruise)?  Both are fantastica experience.  Would choose aft view position for with either suite or balcony cabin.  This is a regular suite not Yacht Club.  The cabin looks like it would suit us with the bunk beds in a separate area for our 2 young children.  Does the sofa also convert into a bed does anyone know?  Many thanks in advance.

33 minutes ago, annarack said:

Hi, are there any perks (other than the size) to booking a suite rather than a standard balcony on MSC (Virtuosa UK cruise)?  Both are fantastica experience...

No difference, other than size as you guessed, no perks.

We are booked for bella balcony, got e mail for upgrade. If we go for suite, will they upgrade from bella to fantasitca or aurea experience? Thank you

Edited by leojagpreet

3 hours ago, leojagpreet said:

We are booked for bella balcony, got e mail for upgrade. If we go for suite, will they upgrade from bella to fantasitca or aurea experience? Thank you

Nope.  The experience remains the same (only exception is if you move to Yacht Club it seems, for obvious reasons).

https://upg.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC?lang=en_UK

16. If the Guests purchases an Upgrade which is accepted by MSC Cruises SA, all other conditions of the original cruise reservation will remain in effect following the Upgrade. This includes conditions, experience, pertaining to cancellation, penalties, and changes. If the upgrade cabin category includes a higher service charge amount, the guests occupying the upgraded cabin will be charged the service charge amount applicable to the upgraded cabin. 

19. If the Guests are currently in a cabin with “Fantastica” or “Aurea” experience and submit an Offer to upgrade to a higher category, we cannot guarantee that they will be assigned to a cabin with the same experience, but the experience itself “Bella”, “Fantastica” or “Aurea” will be maintained. 

We booked the suite for the aft balcony reason alone. If weather is bad you can still use the balcony and wind doesn't blow into the cabin when the ship is sailing so you can even leave door ajar at night at listen to the waves.

7 hours ago, rattla said:

Nope.  The experience remains the same (only exception is if you move to Yacht Club it seems, for obvious reasons).

https://upg.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC?lang=en_UK

I don't see, in the provided link, that people moving to the Yacht Club necessary get the Yacht Club experience. I'm sure that most of the times they get that experience but no guarantee, as I understand it.  

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't see, in the provided link, that people moving to the Yacht Club necessary get the Yacht Club experience. I'm sure that most of the times they get that experience but no guarantee, as I understand it.  

I agree that it doesn’t call it out but I think it’s kind of inherent in a couple of points.

Once you are in YC you are wishing that area of the ship where you can access the lounge, deck etc of YC.

Also the price to upgrade to a YC interior is nearly as much as upgrading to a whirlpool suite, a fair jump above a balcony cabin.  No one would pay more for a YC inside than a balcony if it was just for the cabin?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rattla said:

I agree that it doesn’t call it out but I think it’s kind of inherent in a couple of points.

Once you are in YC you are wishing that area of the ship where you can access the lounge, deck etc of YC.

Also the price to upgrade to a YC interior is nearly as much as upgrading to a whirlpool suite, a fair jump above a balcony cabin.  No one would pay more for a YC inside than a balcony if it was just for the cabin?

I'm sure that most of the time the experience is included when upgrading to the Yacht Club but no guarantee. There has been upgrades to the Yacht Club without the experience included so they can do it. 

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm sure that most of the time the experience is included when upgrading to the Yacht Club but no guarantee. There has been upgrades to the Yacht Club without the experience included so they can do it. 

On these Virtuosa cruises the upgrade to Yacht club is definitely included where stated. It says on the upgrade link

'

'MSC Yacht Club Deluxe SuiteExperience More Comfort In MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite:  

• These suites offer a level of style and comfort befitting the finest traditions of cruising. They have also their own private balcony, walk-in wardrobe, and all the comforts you expect in a first-class accommodation.
  • Queen bed (or two singles on request)
  • MSC Yacht Club benefits including dedicated 24-hour concierge and butler service, unlimited drinks, all-inclusive meals in the private MSC Yacht Club restaurants, and entry to exclusive areas like "The One Sun Deck"
  • Surface approximately 300 sq. ft., plus a balcony of 86 sq. ft.
  • Accommodates up to 5 guests'

Whereas for the duplex suite which are normally Yacht club it says

'

Suite DuplexExperience More Comfort In Suite with Whirlpool:  

• Covering two decks.
  • Living area with a double sofa bed (on the ground floor)
  • Master bedroom (on second level)
  • Two bathrooms (one with bathrub one with shower), two walk-in wardrobes and two telephones
  • Private balcony with whirlpool tub
  • Surface approximately 635 sq. ft.
  • Accommodates up to 4 guests'

No mention of Yacht club and the upgrade price is less than the Yacht club deluxe suite.

20 minutes ago, kernow said:

On these Virtuosa cruises the upgrade to Yacht club is definitely included where stated. It says on the upgrade link

'

'MSC Yacht Club Deluxe SuiteExperience More Comfort In MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite:  

• These suites offer a level of style and comfort befitting the finest traditions of cruising. They have also their own private balcony, walk-in wardrobe, and all the comforts you expect in a first-class accommodation.
  • Queen bed (or two singles on request)
  • MSC Yacht Club benefits including dedicated 24-hour concierge and butler service, unlimited drinks, all-inclusive meals in the private MSC Yacht Club restaurants, and entry to exclusive areas like "The One Sun Deck"
  • Surface approximately 300 sq. ft., plus a balcony of 86 sq. ft.
  • Accommodates up to 5 guests'

Whereas for the duplex suite which are normally Yacht club it says

'

Suite DuplexExperience More Comfort In Suite with Whirlpool:  

• Covering two decks.
  • Living area with a double sofa bed (on the ground floor)
  • Master bedroom (on second level)
  • Two bathrooms (one with bathrub one with shower), two walk-in wardrobes and two telephones
  • Private balcony with whirlpool tub
  • Surface approximately 635 sq. ft.
  • Accommodates up to 4 guests'

No mention of Yacht club and the upgrade price is less than the Yacht club deluxe suite.

it’s a weird old one for Duplex on Virtuosa, as technically they are all tagged as being YC.  I thought previously I’d seen they were all classed as Aurea, but on the deck plans on all these class ships they now appear to show on them all as YC Duplex?

Has that changed recently do you think?  (I always thought it was odd the best suites weren’t in YC)

18 minutes ago, rattla said:

it’s a weird old one for Duplex on Virtuosa, as technically they are all tagged as being YC.  I thought previously I’d seen they were all classed as Aurea, but on the deck plans on all these class ships they now appear to show on them all as YC Duplex?

Has that changed recently do you think?  (I always thought it was odd the best suites weren’t in YC)

I assumed that it meant if you paid full price for the Duplex you got YC privileges but if you bid to upgrade to one you don't (which they could enforce as they are not in the YC area).

6 hours ago, kernow said:

if you bid to upgrade to one you don't (which they could enforce as they are not in the YC area).

This is what I thought happened the first time I heared about YC upgrades with only the cabin and not the experience but that is not always the case. There has been upgrades to cabins located inside the Yacht Club without upgrade to the experience but I do think that is rather rare.

I'll refer people to the MSC Plusgrade wbesite FAQ and Terms sections for the US.

https://upg.stage.plusgrade.com/faq/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC

https://upg.stage.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC?lang=en

Before MSC went to the Plusgrade bidding system YC upgrades got inconsistent benefits.  Here's from the Plusgrade Terms:

19. If the Guests are currently in a cabin with “Fantastica” or “Aurea” experience and submit an Offer to upgrade to a higher category, we cannot guarantee that they will be assigned to a cabin with the same experience, but the experience itself “Bella”, “Fantastica” or “Aurea” will be maintained. For the upgraded Bid in Yacht Club, we will guarantee all benefits related to the Yacht Club Experience in addition to the original experience.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1