Cunard Lines Formal Nights Question, re: Ladies Outfits

Bagbabe53

On 5/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, BigMac1953 said:

...and with my mother:

HXgopI1ZmSUp78IeT2AQtPnJ77ow35a6CYrnwfrxqxJljxZU-JKJtSzS3nqI39Dfd7Fz7lSfhTmaICok6aOlRaJef3sKQCzGtY3BPzlea7-RI5cbkllZH0mlMLYBCYUwxvMNAGzaOeCm--81iFr6RYOtCBjT-4I-mlUPuJ4F_vbyOBKdBA2Twr5ZicR5n2K28s31uObUl88pFMIsY_2rUHIR4LQ7i2kCY_3GwwpGZ_breMyFvx4LU3zpz0sWL0LEfECu4YyjpKBSVIRnjwsKhtlNXS6ZF5JxhqIghS3Q45UhAbMlySo8ZQ_P9ZfEuDserTXEt98DgSF-d7ypQy7l9rcJ7Fgiw_X0eGkSSiV3QKgMi_-vZZ5H-htyiNBfxZLBpru0Fryr1QPq3tcxH2AnlPo4TxIRyLEMXeTs8u4u2vZgHLA1mA8BynKFoWi9rbpMMwrQFA7iqinrPrmQqmHLQ-c-VpnEj-VuUSf_mERMNlL8aZi1iBSBEI1hcJMRIzUypzVZ2wtJyARRORX74Plu42iLIuGAvyK7o_7xqWbrDc1o5srUNL_NXk95ZyAZRfOdn1yc84e3r3djmhAsKVenG29QRVBMs4tbqLVPjQIyMNYUMwpd4zkfuCOgBOXyvjt0okC8l2e1Vb9dD0oXgdOL-W5nWjGuBFLyxJti_SUjyxOXABPnCOmksFdq98Yboe_Bb0VlE0E93Ur8mP_5TCPfNog=w968-h1290-no?authuser=0

I love the pictures you posted! All three of you look so elegant. I particularly like the one of you and your wife in that stunning black gown. These pics make me so anxious to get back on board. I love formal nights. I’m booked for 2023’s QM2 World Voyage, which should give me my fill of them, but now I’m thinking maybe I don’t want to wait that long!

On 5/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, Tillypops said:

It is great to read and see pictures of formal fashion cannot wait to get back on Queen Mary 2.

I also received a brochure through the post a couple of years ago and just had to have the red dress that the lady wore. I managed to track it down and wore it on QM2 for meeting the Captain. I absolutely loved it.

7A2C13E2-3499-48CA-9F21-5450677140E3.jpeg

224FA574-A0C3-4055-B92C-98C394A3A9BB.jpeg

0CEF1F61-B913-41B0-BE3D-1A987E4EA17B.jpeg

Tillypops, that red dress is gorgeous, but much as I love red, I am particularly taken with that middle outfit, the one with the flutter sleeves and the matching shoes! Is that dress a very dark gray or black? You look stunning.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:41 AM, Tillypops said:

Hi arielmomma 

I'm also on the World cruise Queen Mary 2 departing Southampton 11th Jan 2023. Is this the same cruise you are on?

loads of my holidays have been cancelled so thought I would take the plunge and do a big one

Host Hattie

do you have any information on gala night/formal nights on board QM2 2023?

I know in the past you have helped me out a lot and I have been prepared in advance for all the events on board 

if not do you have an old itinerary?

I hope my 6 suitcases 🧳 will be enough!!!!!

👠👗🩴👡👜🕶🩱....................................

Ha! My travel agent tried to discourage me from taking more than two suitcases! Luckily, we were on the phone, so she couldn’t see me rolling my eyes! 

• Like 1

So now I have a clothing question. It’s been awhile since I’ve been on Cunard, and at that time there were still three different dress codes. Formal, informal or s3mi formal or something like that (cocktail dresses) and elegant casual.

Now with just the two dress codes I’m a little unsure of what is suitable for the non-formal nights. Is it all cocktail dresses, even on port days? Or are simple dresses like maybe a linen sheath or a cotton fit-and-flare dress okay some of the times? Formal nights I’m clear on, but these not so much. If it’s all cocktail dresses, i think i’ll have to spend more on clothing than the World Cruise!

On non formal nights a nice silk top and trousers or cocktail/smart dress is OK.  I am from the UK so loook at Jacques Vert and Phase Eight for inspiration. Ebay and Facebook Marketplace are great for new clothes as sellers remorse is very evident, so many for sale with tags still on.

• Like 1

Isn't wonderful that we now have enough faith that TA's are going to happen that we have turned our minds back to "What will I wear"?  I agonized (needlessly) about this before my first crossing in 2013.  To help a colleague who just wanted to fit in, I came up with this little test.  It works for both women and men:

Formal/Gala Evening:  Imagine that you are standing chatting to two gentlemen, one wearing full conservative tuxedo, the other wearing a dark suit, dark tie and white shirt.  Would a passerby assume that you were all heading to the same function?

All other evenings:  Same scenario, except one gentleman is wearing a suit and tie, the other is wearing a jacket, no tie, dress shirt and dress pants.  Would a passerby assume that you are all heading to the same function? 

I hope this helps.  I also noted that the O.P. is crossing eastbound.  On my two such crossings, on the days that the clocks went ahead (5 of the 7), the time change occurred between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, with the result that if you had early seating in the Britannia that day, the clocks said 6:00 pm, but my body said "Its only 5:00!"  Late sitting (8:30, being 7:30 by me) was much more enjoyable.

Karen 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, techteach said:

This will be our first time cruising on Cunard. We are doing the 2022 TA westbound December 15. Do the holidays impact dress? Do you think there will be a theme night during the crossing? Thanks for your input, I’ve loved reading your posts.

I think a theme night is likely.  If you recall your earlier HAL cruises, you will be glad that someone, at least, now remembers how dinner at sea should be done.

14 hours ago, techteach said:

Thanks navybanketerteacher. I am really hoping the food is great. I’m a food and wine snob and after our last HAL cruise we decided we needed an upgrade! We are in Queen’s Grill and the menus look wonderful.

We are ex HAL [many years ago] and jumped ship to Cunard QG. We're not food or drink 'snobs' by any means but we appreciate good food when we eat it. QG suits us. Just remember, if it's not on the menu and you fancy something different, ask in good time and you'll probably receive! Fingers crossed for you the crossing goes ahead.

55 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are also on the 12/15/22 voyage and the preceding voyages.   I find that holiday sailings are dressier than even the normal dressy transatlantic.  I was prepared for the same voyages this year but they were cancelled.   Hope my dresses will still fit next December.

I am SO sorry your cruise was cancelled. Let’s hope all of this testing prior to sailing is a thing of the past really soon. I got out my formal dresses from past cruises but I haven’t had the courage to try them on yet!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We are ex HAL [many years ago] and jumped ship to Cunard QG. We're not food or drink 'snobs' by any means but we appreciate good food when we eat it. QG suits us. Just remember, if it's not on the menu and you fancy something different, ask in good time and you'll probably receive! Fingers crossed for you the crossing goes ahead.

This is good to know! Looking at the menu I could eat one of each appetizer. Lox at every meal please.