Cunard Lines Formal Nights Question, re: Ladies Outfits

Bagbabe53

Going on our first Cunard Cruise transatlantic Eastbound in July, 2022, and need some advice.

Would a maxi dress in a dark color or maxi skirt with a pretty top (both styled with nice jewelry, shawl, scrappy sandals and accessories) suffice for cocktail wear

on board  Cunard during formal nights?  

• Like 1

Absolutely.  In fact what I used was one long black dress (which is like 30 years old) - which I then styled with different tops - this particular top cost about US$15 at a local discount chain. I long dresses because I don't wear stockings, ever. However woman wore shorter too. And a few  did the whole drag on the ground ballroom  gown thing. Do what you want! 

P1090591.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bagbabe53 said:

Going on our first Cunard Cruise transatlantic Eastbound in July, 2022, and need some advice.

Would a maxi dress in a dark color or maxi skirt with a pretty top (both styled with nice jewelry, shawl, scrappy sandals and accessories) suffice for cocktail wear

on board  Cunard during formal nights?  

Hello Bagabe 53 ....As a guy, hope you don't mind me chipping in here. I'm sure what ever you decide to choose to wear will be perfectly acceptable. However, just to give you the heads up.  Evenings ( after 6pm) on a 'Cunard QM2 Transatlantic Crossing' tend to be more dressy.  Slightly more dressy than on a regular 'cruise'. 

Unlike a cruise  with occasional stop off ports, the majority of ladies ( and gents like me) tend to make every evening ( not only formal evenings )  a sense of occasion 

There is one thing about Cunard ( especially a crossing on Queen Mary 2) one can never be overdressed....too much is not enough 😉

• Like 7

It is great to read and see pictures of formal fashion cannot wait to get back on Queen Mary 2.

I also received a brochure through the post a couple of years ago and just had to have the red dress that the lady wore. I managed to track it down and wore it on QM2 for meeting the Captain. I absolutely loved it.

7A2C13E2-3499-48CA-9F21-5450677140E3.jpeg

224FA574-A0C3-4055-B92C-98C394A3A9BB.jpeg

0CEF1F61-B913-41B0-BE3D-1A987E4EA17B.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Hello Bagabe 53 ....As a guy, hope you don't mind me chipping in here. I'm sure what ever you decide to choose to wear will be perfectly acceptable. However, just to give you the heads up.  Evenings ( after 6pm) on a 'Cunard QM2 Transatlantic Crossing' tend to be more dressy.  Slightly more dressy than on a regular 'cruise'. 

Unlike a cruise  with occasional stop off ports, the majority of ladies ( and gents like me) tend to make every evening ( not only formal evenings )  a sense of occasion 

There is one thing about Cunard ( especially a crossing on Queen Mary 2) one can never be overdressed....too much is not enough 😉

So looking forward to 117 days at sea on the QM2 2023 World Cruise. On the very last QE2 world cruise every sea day was formal. Now not so much but I do as a male plan on bringing my best bib and tucker for both day time and evenings. No jeans allowed in my bags.

• Like 1

Just a heads up to ladies in the UK John Lewis and Kaleidescope have both had some really good deals on evening wear lately as obviously they didnt sell much last year. I got an Adriana Papell black velour gown reduced to £63 from £214. 

See https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/clearance/womenswear-offers/womens-dresses-offers/adrianna-papell/reduced-to-clear/_/N-5ne4Z1z13u5hZ1yzwd58

and 

https://www.kaleidoscope.co.uk/cruisewear/_/N-1z140n8

• Like 2

Hi arielmomma 

I'm also on the World cruise Queen Mary 2 departing Southampton 11th Jan 2023. Is this the same cruise you are on?

loads of my holidays have been cancelled so thought I would take the plunge and do a big one

Host Hattie

do you have any information on gala night/formal nights on board QM2 2023?

I know in the past you have helped me out a lot and I have been prepared in advance for all the events on board 

if not do you have an old itinerary?

I hope my 6 suitcases 🧳 will be enough!!!!!

👠👗🩴👡👜🕶🩱....................................

19 hours ago, Tillypops said:

Hi arielmomma 

I'm also on the World cruise Queen Mary 2 departing Southampton 11th Jan 2023. Is this the same cruise you are on?

loads of my holidays have been cancelled so thought I would take the plunge and do a big one

👠👗🩴👡👜🕶🩱....................................

Yes Tillypops, this is the cruise I am on, except that I will be boarding on 3rd Jan in NY. I'm also doing the Caribbean Christmas cruise before it. Like you, Covid cancellations and forced savings has motivated me to take the "Big One." I can't wait!

Hey arielmomma,

Great!!

I am so looking forward to it.

Host Hattie has posted the itineraries for 2020 world cruise might give us some ideas on gala nights

Host Hattie

thank you so much for the links for the 2020 world cruises I am sure the itineraries will be similar 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tillypops said:

Hey arielmomma,

Great!!

I am so looking forward to it.

Host Hattie has posted the itineraries for 2020 world cruise might give us some ideas on gala nights

I will definitely be checking it out! Thanks.

I agonized about appropriate dress on the QM2, especially during formal nights.  The only experience I had prior to 2013 was in 1966 tourist class and no one dressed up.  turned out it was so easy!  My voyage was a January crossing (2013)  so I had a pair of black velvet trousers and a long black velvet skirt and I changed these around with different glitzy tops.  Your outfit sounds perfect for when you are sailing.  I am sailing the same voyage in 2022 and will get out the same clothes. May have to buy some new tops because.....almost 10 yrs have passed and I have gotten a little chunkier

Edited by Smitheroo
  • Like 1

We dance, so I need clothes that aren’t too binding. I used long black skirts and those trousers that are flared so they look like a long skirt, then mixed and matched tops and accessories. I have silky red, silver, and black pashminas as wraps, but they also change up the outfits. I bought a special flapper dress for 1920’s night (I think it was $20 on evil Amazon), but it wasn’t necessary. Some folks dressed for the special evening and others did not. Enjoy your voyage. 

• Like 1