World segments

katmike

I was looking at a Los Angeles to Austrailia cruise but all I could find doesn't really fit my wants. Looking at a January-ish departure to escape the winter. I was noticing a January departure that is a world cruise "segment" that goes from LA to Sydney in Jan 2022, but probably looking more like I'll need a 2023 departure. I do see a world cruise departure in Jan 2023, but no segments offered (yet). 

I assume that the segments aren't offered until a reasonalbe time has passed to fill the ship as much as possible with world travelers? Hoping this is how it works but that means I won't know when or if they'll even offer one up.

• Like 1

We did the 64 day segment from Sydney to New York on the Sea Princess in May, 2015.  It was fantastic.  Long flight away, awesome cruise, and a relatively short flight home.

We booked it in December, 2013.

Look for the World Cruise starting in Australia.

Hopefully, you can still find something similar.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

5 hours ago, katmike said:

I assume that the segments aren't offered until a reasonalbe time has passed to fill the ship as much as possible with world travelers? Hoping this is how it works but that means I won't know when or if they'll even offer one up.

Have not sailed on a Princess world cruise, but have done so on a HAL full world cruise as well as one segment of another HAL world cruise.  I think your assumption that Princess would prefer to book the ship as completely as possible with full world cruisers is correct.  Segments are the last to be advertised.  And, in my experience, one must accept a guarantee category stateroom and not a specific stateroom.  

I'd recommend that you work with a cruise experienced travel agent that works with world cruise types of guests.  Let that person do your "checking" on when, if, the segments open.  They would likely know more quickly than you would learn when, if, the segments become available.  

• Thanks 1

The 2023 world cruise has had very high sales. Many people that booked the 2022 cruise booked the 2023 as a backup in case the 2022 is a no go (At this point Australia is saying no entry until around mid 2022). 

I believe P is not offering segments beyond LA at this point. If the 2022 does happen, there will likely be a lot of cancellations for 2023 and more options for 2023 would happen.

15 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

We did the 64 day segment from Sydney to New York on the Sea Princess in May, 2015.  It was fantastic.  Long flight away, awesome cruise, and a relatively short flight home.

We booked it in December, 2013.

Look for the World Cruise starting in Australia.

Hopefully, you can still find something similar.

The 2023 World Cruise on the Coral Princess starts from Sydney (Australia) in June so doesn't get to USA until 15th August.

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I'd recommend that you work with a cruise experienced travel agent that works with world cruise types of guests.  Let that person do your "checking" on when, if, the segments open.  They would likely know more quickly than you would learn when, if, the segments become available.  

Thanks for the tip. I do check the P site every day, but an agent doing it as well is probably the best option.

47 minutes ago, katmike said:

Thanks for the tip. I do check the P site every day, but an agent doing it as well is probably the best option.

The TA doesn't literally check online each day.  They get advance notices from the cruise lines about new releases.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I first posted this, I didn't realize that Australia was on lockdown. I suppose the status of opening up a world segment that consists of LA to Sydney cruise in 2023 is of very low priority to Princess at this time.

At this point Australia is indicating no external tourism until around mid 2022 so in theory a 2023 world cruise segment would be possible BUT Princess would rather sell full voyages so with sales of the full voyage going very well there are no segments after LA.

Quite a few passengers that have a booking for 2022 world cruise have also booked 2023 in case the 2022 is a no go.  If the 2022 does sail, then there could be a lot of 2023 cancellations and segments could open up.