Which cruises are likely to go ahead?

Mocamps

Like many people, we are desperate to be cruising again. especially with our favourite cruise company!!

But which cruises do people think will actually happen?

We're booked for the Greek islands though actually with Windstar which was quite a bit cheaper and has the watersports platform which is hopefully a bonus if we can only do ship excursions (something that doesn't really appeal to us)

Beyond that, we're only guessing what might go ahead. The SS website seems overly optimistic about dates. For example, the Silver Muse in Alaska, and particularly the Explorer in Australia look like pie in the sky. But what about the Whisper in Iceland? Or the Shadow? Are any of these likely to go ahead.

Best guesses?? 

Good morning,😃 the Alaska sailings that are showing up now? Those are not correct.......those that say embarkation out of Seward and Vancouver? She is not sailing from there.......Alaska is changing.....from what I have been told, a new itinerary should be available sometime this coming week.......She would be sailing out of Seattle for 10 nights.........don't hold me to that 100% but it is what I have heard.

Silver Sea Explorer: Since  this looks like the equivalent of a re-positioning cruise for SS Explorer, I am assuming the March 2022 Ushaia to Capetown, via Falklands, South Georgia and Tristan da Cuhna will be a go - leaving the Antarctic runs to the Explorer summer season runs - assuming the 2021-2022 Antarctica is also a go.

Many of the current health consideration unknowns and required protocols should be settled down by then - fingers crossed. Therapeutics for "covid" will be a big breakthrough,  besides the current  expectation of vaccine requirements. More success stories for "covid" therapeutics is very welcomed as that would hopefully stop a cruise termination should a "covid" case still emerge on board.

I checked the marinetraffic.com site & it has the Muse en route to "Anila" which I assume to be Manila?  Further info. was behind a paywall.  Maybe they have begun prep work for an Alaska season.  Good news for all.

• Like 1

I think Whisper is about to be cancelled and Shadow will do three ten day sailings around Iceland 🇮🇸 in August before picking up her regular schedule. Staff are assembling now and  guarentining on Shadow and have been for some days now. There is no such activity on Whisper.

Spirit also cancelled for July and August, and yes Muse heading to Alaska for limited sailings out of Seattle, this summer.

tune in to Barbara Muckerman tomorrow for all the details.

Glad my initial post was correct🙂...now have  to just wait and see what the Alaska prices are going to be..........

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

We are signed up for the Iceland cruises ( 3 b2b, 38 days ) 7-14-21 and so far it looks like a go.

We are on the Tromso-Reykjavik portion (8/7-8/21) And we are not holding our breath.  Norway is still shuttered and looking at their partial reopening plans doesn't include external tourism for some time./

2 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

We are on the Tromso-Reykjavik portion (8/7-8/21) And we are not holding our breath.  Norway is still shuttered and looking at their partial reopening plans doesn't include external tourism for some time./

Actually,we don’t really care where we stop/don’t stop just as long as we’re on the ship!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Actually,we don’t really care where we stop/don’t stop just as long as we’re on the ship!

Ive come to the same conclusion.... have 3 "seacations" booked for the Summer and possibly a 4th being booked.

First sailing on the 5th June. 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’ll give you 100:1 odds it’ll be the highest per diem ever for a SS Alaskan cruise.

You are probably right.  Still want to see what the offering is........and not sure if you noticed but the 2021 sailings are no longer listed on the website. There are only 2022 on there now. I am guessing they will be uploading this summer soon.

• Like 1

Barbara Muckerman did a Facebook live session today (which was more informative than the Q&A forum on Cruise Critic), and regarding Alaska, she stressed that the reason they're doing 10-day cruises — which creates a "higher price point" — is to be able to get people to see glaciers, which is not possible with 7-day trips roundtrip Seattle that some other cruise lines are doing. (I'm not sure why they couldn't do one-way trips between Seattle and Anchorage (Seward or Whittier), but I'm sure there's been a mad scramble among the cruise lines for port facilities and excursion providers as the summer season jumped to life in the past few weeks.)

• Thanks 2

@juicyjuju Itineraries for Alaska this summer? I think those are being officially released today, and they are first working on getting emails out to passengers booked on the original Muse and Shadow Alaska itineraries which are now canceled. (They're doing the same for canceling the northern Europe cruises and introducing the new Iceland cruises.) So they've got dozens of cruises and thousands of passengers in flux with all the moving pieces. I'd expect to see the new Alaska itineraries on the website very soon. 

55 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the update. Did she speak about anything else?

Yes, I thought it was actually pretty informative, and she answered lots of questions from people online. If you have a Facebook account, you can watch it here: https://www.facebook.com/571230684/videos/10157964331765685/

She talked about the new itineraries for the Muse in Alaska and for the Shadow in Iceland, replacing the previously scheduled itineraries for various ships in Alaska and northern Europe... Emails going out to all affected passengers today, with opportunities to rebook or get a refund or FCC… Positive expectations about Antarctica cruises this winter... For South America, they expect to have clarity by August or September... World Cruise 2022 she feels will definitely happen, but there may be changes to the itinerary as situations in the  world evolve...

"There was a time in which Silversea was proud to offer champagne; now we are proud to offer free Covid testing. Of course, it's a different era…" 😉 SS will be doing antigen testing at embarkation (at least in Europe, because that's what the EU is requiring) and antigen testing before disembarkation for those who need test results to travel home. (PCR tests will be available for anyone who needs one for at a "small fee" via outside labs.)

• Like 1

Hi, I am one of those people who does not do Facebook......so that is why I was asking about it🙂

Thanks for the information!....Free testing sounds good to me🙂....I am guessing when I fly home from Greece I will have to show that test in order to get back in here...........

• Like 1

We just got our cruise docs for the Moon June 18th sailing - a btb.  We will be given (free) antigen tests before boarding, about halfway through the 1st 10 day segment, between segments, about halfway through the 2nd 10 day segment and again  before disembarking. I posted the whole list of Covid requirements on the thread about masks on the Moon Greece sailings.

17 minutes ago, sea bright said:

We just got our cruise docs for the Moon June 18th sailing - a btb.  We will be given (free) antigen tests before boarding, about halfway through the 1st 10 day segment, between segments, about halfway through the 2nd 10 day segment and again  before disembarking. I posted the whole list of Covid requirements on the thread about masks on the Moon Greece sailings.

Thanks.....I should probably know the answer to this....but will ask anyway....the quick test is the PCR, right? So that is why they can do it multiple times and get results really quick.....oh wait, I have it backwards.........the Antigen test is the quicky.........the PCR is what is considered more accurate and takes 2-3 days to get back.....I knew I was mixed up😲