British cruise ports excursions

eric4395

Has anyone any idea what sort of prices cruise ships are taking for there excursions at British ports this summer. 

My wife and I tend to do our own thing however with the restrictions on this I don't really fancy paying absorbent prices to walk round British towns and cities on the compulsory cruise excursion.

49 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

Has anyone any idea what sort of prices cruise ships are taking for there excursions at British ports this summer. 

My wife and I tend to do our own thing however with the restrictions on this I don't really fancy paying absorbent prices to walk round British towns and cities on the compulsory cruise excursion.

The MSC ones are around the £40-£50 mark, here are some examples:

Greenock:

Panoramic Scottish locks £49

Cruise on the stunning loch Lomond £59

Glasgow sightseeing tour £42

Belfast:

Scenic dive along Ards peninsula £35

Belfast sightseeing tour £39

Edited by ziggyuk

13 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

The MSC ones are around the £40-£50 mark, here are some examples:

Greenock:

Panoramic Scottish locks £49

Cruise on the stunning loch Lomond £59

Glasgow sightseeing tour £42

Belfast:

Scenic dive along Ards peninsula £35

Belfast sightseeing tour £39

Thanks Ziggyuk not as expensive as I feared , however still not sure I would want to spend approx £300 ( 3 trips)for my wife and I around places I have already seen and even stay close to🤔

1 minute ago, eric4395 said:

Thanks Ziggyuk not as expensive as I feared , however still not sure I would want to spend approx £300 ( 3 trips)for my wife and I around places I have already seen and even stay close to🤔

I know, that's the problem.
We live close to Southampton so won't be getting off at Portland as it's just down the road, we will do an excursion in Liverpool and Greenock but won't bother with Belfast as we stayed there 2 years ago.

We are lucky as we have £250 OBC from a cancelled cruise so will use that to pay for the two ports we will do, at the other ports we just have to pray for nice weather and have a quiet day on the ship.

Celebrity are charging exhorbitant prices, they have a damned cheek. We're on the Silhouette on 17 July and we stop at Invergordon/Inverness. Celebrity want £81pp for a 4.5hr trip to Loch Ness with a 1hr boat trip - no lunch or drinks included. Half price for kids. Loch Ness is close to the port and the boat trip is only about £15 if you do it yourself. We're travelling in a family group and our eldest 2 grandchildren aged 6 and 3 desperately want to go to Loch Ness is the hopes of spotting the monster. For us to take them it will cost nearly £250 - absolute daylight robbery.

Edited by Mim Lloyd

21 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Celebrity are charging exhorbitant prices, they have a damned cheek. We're on the Silhouette on 17 July and we stop at Invergordon/Inverness. Celebrity want £81pp for a 4.5hr trip to Loch Ness with a 1hr boat trip - no lunch or drinks included. Half price for kids. Loch Ness is close to the port and the boat trip is only about £15 if you do it yourself. We're travelling in a family group and our eldest 2 grandchildren aged 6 and 3 desperately want to go to Loch Ness is the hopes of spotting the monster. For us to take them it will cost nearly £250 - absolute daylight robbery.

On top of that Celebrity had a sale on the excursions but the website had an issue which meant I could not book. I tried phoning but was not willing to hold on past the 60 minute mark (had things to do). Then the problem with the website was fixed just as the sale ended. 😠

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

Swings and roundabouts.  Celebrity prices for their UK cruises are keenly priced. £266 a night for a couple for 6 nights including tips and drinks is a bargain.

I've looked at a few five star hotels in the UK for July and its £300-500 per room a night on a b&b basis, add in an evening meal and a few drinks and that becomes £500-700.

• Like 1

We've paid £188 a night per couple in a Concierge balcony cabin for this cruise for everything so no complaints about that. But it certainly appears that Celebrity are certainly trying to claw back funds with the excursion prices!

I have seen some other posts about MSC and seem to mainly be coach tours, with the odd boat ride, so I would love to know if there are any other options on offer.

We are due on a small sailing ship (not a main cruise line) in July visiting Belfast and Portrush (near the Giants Causeway) NI.  Once I get our tour details I will post here, though there does appear to be a tour to the Giant's Causeway.  We would like to go, but need to make sure we can leave the coach, otherwise a waste of time IMO.

19 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Swings and roundabouts.  Celebrity prices for their UK cruises are keenly priced. £266 a night for a couple for 6 nights including tips and drinks is a bargain.

Have been looking at other staycation cruises as well, but all I can find from Southampton is one on 31st July from £899 for an inside, £999 for a veranda, but have not yet looked at other details.  Cannot find any other departures, any chance of a link?  Do they all leave from Southampton?

I am thinking they may have sold out or prices gone up by now.

7 hours ago, tring said:

I have seen some other posts about MSC and seem to mainly be coach tours, with the odd boat ride, so I would love to know if there are any other options on offer.

We are due on a small sailing ship (not a main cruise line) in July visiting Belfast and Portrush (near the Giants Causeway) NI.  Once I get our tour details I will post here, though there does appear to be a tour to the Giant's Causeway.  We would like to go, but need to make sure we can leave the coach, otherwise a waste of time IMO.

Have been looking at other staycation cruises as well, but all I can find from Southampton is one on 31st July from £899 for an inside, £999 for a veranda, but have not yet looked at other details.  Cannot find any other departures, any chance of a link?  Do they all leave from Southampton?

I am thinking they may have sold out or prices gone up by now.

I am not sure how to provide a link but if you look on Celebrity main page ,find a cruise then departure port(Southampton)a few should come up but all dearer than July 31st. They do all go from Southampton

• Thanks 1

We are now booked on MSC late June and have been looking for posts about the excursions offered.  It seems that most (well virtually all) are just coach trips and people are even kept on the coaches at photo stops with pics having to be taken through the windows.

If anyone has done (or heard about) any excursions for this summers cruises, I would be very appreciative if a brief explanation of what is/is not allowed and if there is any chance to go off the ship and go somewhere other than purely be stuck on the coach.