Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I only heard on the news unvaccinated had to get tested.

So either show up with your card or get tested. Your choice.

“Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date.”

note the phrase “other protocols”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hahahaha I bet they would  me too. My rate isnt all that great. 

I dont see it happening, though I get many on cc want carnival to boot the kids. 

It's just my opinion the time for waiting and hoping the cdc changes its rules to allow kids should be past. It's time for carnival to tell us their decision and quit waffling. Sooner not later they need to tell us what the protocols will be, if for no other reason so we can move on and argue about masks like rcl boards are. Start planning that cruises will happen. Decide. People are tired of not knowing. No more waiting and hoping the cdc changes its mind. Make a decision.

Well put.....

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Do you have a suggestion how carnival can pick which of the booked kids get to cruise to meet the 95%? 

That's been the fly in the ointment. Imagine the pr if carnival cancels half the kids. And then their parents cancel with them. Duffy said they are still in talks with the cdc to allow kids. ..cruising is supposed to start next month. Time for talking is running out, time to resume however works. 

Carnival so far talks both sides but never really confirms either. We need answers soon.

Real easy.   Start every ship in the fleet with 95% vaccinated cruises.  After those who voluntarily cancel, fill the ship with the oldest reservations first and offer OBC to the casualties.   This gets ships going as soon as possible.

But Carnival is dragging their fleet and Royal is announcing start up dates for a good portion of their fleet.  Par for the course, Carnival as usual is a follower, not a leader.  Looks like Celebrity will be first out of the gate and Royal quickly behind them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

They don't even regulate chair hogging with towels or dress code on formal night.  I have seen people run in front of a person in a wheelchair to get on an elevator in front of staff and they said nothing. In my experience, CCL employees are hands off. This is part of the reason I have concerns about an unvaccinated cruise. I don't worry about getting Covid myself since I am vaccinated, but I do worry about an outbreak on the ship.

I have seen wheel chairs deliberately piloted over a foot or two. Carnival would not get sued for chair hogging. You used to be able to carry bottles of liquor on the ship even though not allowed. They Carnival clamped down, some.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The better question is difficulty getting crew who are vaccinated, since vaccines can be hard to come by in other countries. and 6 weeks or more delay even if the countries had vaccines. I doubt there is a shortage of workers willing to get vaccinated. They have been without work or stimulus for over a year.

If the men and women who work on the ships need the vaccines, it would be prudent to offer their families in their home countries that option if they wanted it and there was no access. 

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Real easy.   Start every ship in the fleet with 95% vaccinated cruises.  After those who voluntarily cancel, fill the ship with the oldest reservations first and offer OBC to the casualties.   This gets ships going as soon as possible.

But Carnival is dragging their fleet and Royal is announcing start up dates for a good portion of their fleet.  Par for the course, Carnival as usual is a follower, not a leader.  Looks like Celebrity will be first out of the gate and Royal quickly behind them.

The best way is vaccinated people only, and cancel all the other reservations. Then let those rebook until capacity is reached. First come, first served.

39 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I only heard on the news unvaccinated had to get tested.

So either show up with your card or get tested. Your choice.

I'll bet they will even add the ability for people to upload a copy of their vaccination card to their account.  This way they will be prepared for the number of unvaccinated.  No doubt there will be different boarding procedures.

1 minute ago, florida eagle said:

If the men and women who work on the ships need the vaccines, it would be prudent to offer their families in their home countries that option if they wanted it and there was no access. 

If their countries weren't so corrupt, perhaps. The most effective way is test and quarantine the negatives for 2 weeks, test again and get them out of the country and vaccinated somewhere else. I believe this is what Royal is doing - or something like that.

17 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

They don't even regulate chair hogging with towels or dress code on formal night.  I have seen people run in front of a person in a wheelchair to get on an elevator in front of staff and they said nothing. In my experience, CCL employees are hands off. This is part of the reason I have concerns about an unvaccinated cruise. I don't worry about getting Covid myself since I am vaccinated, but I do worry about an outbreak on the ship.

Maybe this is why Christine mentioned starting with vaccinated cruises and trying to work with the CDC for allowing children under 12 eventually.  Most people do follow the rules, but there are always the people who think the rules don't apply to them.  

On my Panorama cruise out of Long Beach I never saw so many people blatantly cut in line like the cruise revolved around them.  The crew members never said a thing.

Edited by TNcruising02

9 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

I think their solution of bringing the crew to the ports in the US and vaccinating them in huge groups was a great idea.  I am also sure the crew members were appreciative to get the vaccines since they aren't as easily available in many parts of the world.

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'll bet they will even add the ability for people to upload a copy of their vaccination card to their account.  This way they will be prepared for the number of unvaccinated.  No doubt there will be different boarding procedures.

Tbh I hope so. Get it done ahead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Right!  My card is already saved on my computer, so it will be easy to upload.  I already uploaded it on my United account.

That's what Duffy said, they are working w software companies to implement the upload of vaccine cards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, txgranny said:

That's what Duffy said, they are working w software companies to implement the upload of vaccine cards. 

With United, I uploaded my card and also entered the information regarding where I got my shot, what kind of vaccine, and the dates of both doses.  It took less than five minutes.  The cruise lines can definitely add this as an option to online accounts.  Royal already has the option of uploading a picture.  That came in handy when I got off of the ship and they used facial recognition instead of checking my passport.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

With United, I uploaded my card and also entered the information regarding where I got my shot, what kind of vaccine, and the date of both doses.  It too less than five minutes.  The cruise lines can definitely add this as an option to online accounts.  Royal already has the option of uploading a picture.  That came in handy when I got off of the ship and they used facial recognition instead of checking my passport.

Yes, already uploaded to United as well. Easy peasy 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think their solution of bringing the crew to the ports in the US and vaccinating them in huge groups was a great idea.  I am also sure the crew members were appreciative to get the vaccines since they aren't as easily available in many parts of the world.

i have skin allergies. my family was eating at an MDR dinner on Royal and a ship lady employee was suggesting a seafood product. I told her I had allergies and she got nervous. And thought she would get fired. At least that was her reaction. 

3 hours ago, aquasea said:

They will work it out. We might be pleasantly surprised.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Most sane people would like cruising to be as close to prepandemic as possible.  This would include masks at a minimum, and no bubble excursions.  If unvaccinated adults are not allowed on board, this would be possible.  Sadly I think that Carnival is going to go down the path of RCI and bend over backwards to get the almighty family dollar and at the same time open the floodgates to unvaccinated adults and the protocols that will be attached that sadly the vaccinated cruiser will have to put up with, lessening their cruise experience.