Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

4 hours ago, balcony bound said:

I really doubt the "vocal unvaccinated minority" are dictating rules and protocols.  Business moving forward, just like the rest of the country learning how to deal with the future.

Exactly.  People are getting vaccinated, death rates are going down, and the high risk are protecting themselves.  If covid never goes away, then it's just something people will learn to live with in their every day lives.  People who are not high risk aren't the problem here and never were.  Someone having a cough, headache, or aches and pains isn't what shuts down a country.  It's the high risk people dying.

As places open up and the high risk protect themselves, our country should get back to normal without forcing low risk people to get vaccinated.  If cruises are open to unvaccinated people, the only thing I think they should add is a form for them to fill out that confirms they either already had covid or are not high risk.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

I'm vaxxed....and  believe the vaxxed are the vocal ones (generally), almost to the point of obnoxious at times.  When the protocols come out, you (and everyone else) can decide to play along or pass.

Speaking for yourself, of course, one of the vaxxed. A number of those crusading against vaccination seem to be vaxxed. What's the word I'm thinking of?

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Well which one is it? lol. The thing about logic is we make it up as we go. I wouldn't put it past the CDC to limit capacity regardless because "hey look, we're taking action". Many different outcomes could change the outcomes of revenue for the cruise lines. This is why they are very wishy washy on vaccination stances. A higher capacity should in theory bring in more revenue. However, if they say no to unvaccinated and no to children, that does eliminate quite a big chunk of the market. Less demand doesn't do well with fare prices.

Lower capacity to begin, increasing as the data supports. Vaxxed cruises will support a higher capacity. Unvaxxed will limit out when cruises start getting terminated early. It isn't a difficult concept.

Personally, other than the occasional cigar, I can't stand smoking. The secondhand smoke argument is always a funny one though. People think they are going to die because they breathed in someone's puff once. Oh how cute the internet is.

Second hand smoke is a real danger no matter how much some try to discount it.

6 hours ago, balcony bound said:

I really doubt the "vocal unvaccinated minority" are dictating rules and protocols.  Business moving forward, just like the rest of the country learning how to deal with the future.

Tell the people over on the Royal boards that the unvaccinated minority are not dictating things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

1) And the vaxxed that get threads locked….good try. Again, I’m vaxxed, so no need to pull that card either.

2) Tell the CEO, unless you really think cc opinions have that much clout.

I learned a long time ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game.  Unfortunately Carnival has not disclosed what the rules are going to be.  

CC opinions don't have much clout, but they are read by or relayed to JH and he does have the ear of the beards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Tell the people over on the Royal boards that the unvaccinated minority are not dictating things.

Royal has made a firm decision, so people can argue all they want.  In the end, they can either cruise or not cruise this summer.  Surely Royal is letting people cancel for full refunds.  Once Carnival makes a firm decision and communicates it to the July cruisers, people will just need to accept it and either cruise or get a refund.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

I learned a long time ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game.  Unfortunately Carnival has not disclosed what the rules are going to be.  

CC opinions don't have much clout, but they are read by or relayed to JH and he does have the ear of the beards.

Then John can clearly see there are people on both sides of the issue.  No matter what decision they go with, there will be people who will be angry.  The angry people will get over it once all of the restrictions eventually go away.

5 hours ago, aquasea said:

I believe a large majority of people will have been vaccinated. They won't have to do anything. The unvaccinated might, according to the CDC's own guidelines. 

Unless they give out color coordinated bands to differentiate between those who are or are not vaccinated, everyone will have to abide by the protocols in place for the unvaccinated. 

I do not see how Carnival can enforce different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated, other than having shows for only vaccinated people.  On the pool deck, there is just no way.  Maybe it will be like the grocery stores and they will only need to inform people that masks aren't required for vaccinated passengers and not require verification.  That could work.  This is the way it works on land.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Unless they give out color coordinated bands to differentiate between those who are or are not vaccinated, everyone will have to abide by the protocols in place for the unvaccinated. 

This nonsense about color coordinated bands will never happen. It would take about 5 min for drama to start because people would end up doing whatever they want anyway. Plus, who wants to wear a bracelet all day? The lanyard necklace all day is bad enough, don't need no more jewelry.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do not see how Carnival can enforce different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated, other than having shows for only vaccinated people.  On the pool deck, there is just no way.  Maybe it will be like the grocery stores and they will only need to inform people that masks aren't required for vaccinated passengers and not require verification.  That could work.

One example. Only ship excursions for the unvaxxed. If they get off the ship and it isn't with an organized tour, they aren't allowed to re-board.

One dining room (the larger) reserved for vaxxed. Maybe both. And the unvaxxed required to order room service.

It's easy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This nonsense about color coordinated bands will never happen. It would take about 5 min for drama to start because people would end up doing whatever they want anyway. Plus, who wants to wear a bracelet all day? The lanyard necklace all day is bad enough, don't need no more jewelry.  

Face recognition software. The only way around it is to wear a mask. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Royal has made a firm decision, so people can argue all they want.  In the end, they can either cruise or not cruise this summer.  Surely Royal is letting people cancel for full refunds.  Once Carnival makes a firm decision and communicates it to the July cruisers, people will just need to accept it and either cruise or get a refund.

Firm decision hahahaha. Well now some think the ceo is talking about some vaccinated areas and some not. LOTS more is not at all firm. TV news said unvaccinated get tested as they board .. didnt come from rcl.

And your assumption they can cancel with a full refund would also be wrong. Though rcl does have cwc and they can cancel and move the funds. Not sure of time limit to move. Why would rcl give a refund if you booked a nonrefundable rate just because you say you dont like it now. It's not like covid just came, it's been here over a year. If you booked during covid I agree it's on you not the cruiseline.

Lots more unknown than known for all lines imo.

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Personally I think the lawyers would file a discrimination suit as fast as you can say it.

Yes it might fail. But people are sue happy.  I dont think those wrist bands marking people would happen.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do not see how Carnival can enforce different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated, other than having shows for only vaccinated people.  On the pool deck, there is just no way.  Maybe it will be like the grocery stores and they will only need to inform people that masks aren't required for vaccinated passengers and not require verification.  That could work.  This is the way it works on land.

Don't worry, it's never going to happen anyway. Logistically it's expensive, redundant, unnecessary, and, to be perfectly honest, hair brained. Speculation by arm chair executives is entertaining but not very well thought out.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Personally I think the lawyers would file a discrimination suit as fast as you can say it.

Yes it might fail. But people are sue happy.  I dont think those wrist bands marking people would happen.

Discrimination for what?

16 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

How about a scarlet letter V on the forehead

11 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Those in havana accommodations wear bracelets 

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Don't worry, it's never going to happen anyway. Logistically it's expensive, redundant, unnecessary, and, to be perfectly honest, hair brained. Speculation by arm chair executives is entertaining but not very well though out.    

Yeah, I don't see the crew members saying anything.  There was a guy on one of our cruises smoking in the non smoking side.  My husband mentioned something to him, just to let him know that smoking was on the other side, but they guy insisted he was on the right side.  None of the crew members passing by said anything.  

I can actually imagine fights breaking out because of mask enforcement.  Idiots who take their masks off on planes or in businesses that clearly state masks are required.  It's so annoying that people can't follow rules.  Not just about this, but any rules.  Rules are rules and some people think the rules don't apply to them.  

Anyway, it's possible that Carnival will simply need to have signs like they do in stores about vaccinated people not being required to wear masks.  As long as Carnival doesn't have to check vaccination status, this will work just like it does everywhere on land.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Exactly.  People are getting vaccinated, death rates are going down, and the high risk are protecting themselves.  If covid never goes away, then it's just something people will learn to live with in their every day lives.  People who are not high risk aren't the problem here and never were.  Someone having a cough, headache, or aches and pains isn't what shuts down a country.  It's the high risk people dying.

As places open up and the high risk protect themselves, our country should get back to normal without forcing low risk people to get vaccinated.  If cruises are open to unvaccinated people, the only thing I think they should add is a form for them to fill out that confirms they either already had covid or are not high risk.

But the protocols that will more than likely be put in place in order for the unvaccinated to cruise will cramp the cruise experience for those that got vaccinated.   On land, things are opening up exponentially for those who have taken the jab.  Once protocols are specifically laid out for cruising, it's probably going to include masks, distancing and excursion bubbles.  Protocols that would not be needed with 95% vaccinated and 5% unvaccinated kids.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have you been to an all inclusive resort? I usually pay more for adult area as well as private beach area and each room type has separate color bands. No issues

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Face recognition software. The only way around it is to wear a mask. 🤣

In your head: Carnival has top notch Mossad type ninja agents just waiting to pounce on any rule breakers and troublemakers and they use sophisticated technology in their efforts to combat any offensive behavior.

The reality: small security guards, that are often times outnumbered, who generally avoid conflict, even when pushing and shoving starts (but will observe/report on behalf of the line), and cameras that are there to protect the cruise line, not you.

• Like 2

Just now, SNJCruisers said:

But the protocols that will more than likely be put in place in order for the unvaccinated to cruise will cramp the cruise experience for those that got vaccinated.   On land, things are opening up exponentially for those who have taken the jab.  Once protocols are specifically laid out for cruising, it's probably going to include masks, distancing and excursion bubbles.  Protocols that would not be needed with 95% vaccinated and 5% unvaccinated kids.

I guess we will see. At this point, I have decided to just roll with whatever happens and choose to have a good time regardless of whatever requirements there are.  I will focus on the positive.  I could cancel my cruise, but I don't want to.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

How about a scarlet letter V on the forehead

If there are any tattoos to be given out, it should be of the U variety, since they are the minority that will be making the rules and having protocols implemented that the vaccinated will have to suffer through. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Firm decision hahahaha. Well now some think the ceo is talking about some vaccinated areas and some not. LOTS more is not at all firm. TV news said unvaccinated get tested as they board .. didnt come from rcl.

And your assumption they can cancel with a full refund would also be wrong. Though rcl does have cwc and they can cancel and move the funds. Not sure of time limit to move. Why would rcl give a refund if you booked a nonrefundable rate just because you say you dont like it now. It's not like covid just came, it's been here over a year. If you booked during covid I agree it's on you not the cruiseline.

Lots more unknown than known for all lines imo.

Carnival is offering full refunds, so I just assumed Royal would too.  I guess I am wrong.