Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

Just now, txgranny said:

Have you been to an all inclusive resort? I usually pay more for adult area as well as private beach area and each room type has separate color bands. No issues

If I was a couple I'd go, but I cruise to be around other people. I like carnival excursions with lots of people lol. 

It's not the money just not something I want to do alone. I bought a beach condo if I want beach time alone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If there are any tattoos to be given out, it should be of the U variety, since they are the minority that will be making the rules and having protocols implemented that the vaccinated will have to suffer through. 

Unless the CDC updates their requirements and treats the cruise ships like hotels, restaurants, pools, grocery stores, and other places where people are permitted to go mask free without proof.

Edited by TNcruising02

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

If there are any tattoos to be given out, it should be of the U variety, since they are the minority that will be making the rules and having protocols implemented that the vaccinated will have to suffer through. 

Who are these making the rules ? Are the "rules" coming from somewhere beside  the CDC at the moment, or well as business owners?  I clearly am missing these folks that you say are making rules.  Help me understand the chain of command.

8 minutes ago, txgranny said:

Those in havana accommodations wear bracelets 

I'd toss one on my lanyard but wouldn't wear one on my wrist all day. I have eczema and it would give me a rash in no time and ugly tan line. Can't even tolerate a wedding ring or wrist watch. 

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Carnival is offering full refunds, so I just assumed Royal would too.  I guess I am wrong.

Really?  Can you show me this in writing. I've been told carnival is allowing you to move to another date. I have never seen a post before this that if you dont like the protocols carnival will give you a refund. Doesnt sound right to me.

Refunds only if refundable rate or the cruiseline cancels ... not because you decided you didnt like the rules. I'd love to see this policy. You are the first to say this.

29 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Unless they give out color coordinated bands to differentiate between those who are or are not vaccinated, everyone will have to abide by the protocols in place for the unvaccinated. 

Let us see what happens. This week will be HUGE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Speaking for yourself, of course, one of the vaxxed. A number of those crusading against vaccination seem to be vaxxed. What's the word I'm thinking of?

Sorry it may not work out the way you dreamed.  You may have to choose to not sail huh?

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

there are so many cruise Lines .  if carnival wants vaccine and people don't like it , go royal or vice versa.  but things are flexible. things change day by day

Yes!! And this won't last forever. It will slowly ease up sooner than later.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Then John can clearly see there are people on both sides of the issue.  No matter what decision they go with, there will be people who will be angry.  The angry people will get over it once all of the restrictions eventually go away.

But the restrictions that will be put in place for the unvaccinated will more than likely impact the cruise experience of the vaccinated.   Unless Carnival gives out color coded bands, which I doubt.   But they could call them tracelets.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I do not see how Carnival can enforce different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated, other than having shows for only vaccinated people.  On the pool deck, there is just no way.  Maybe it will be like the grocery stores and they will only need to inform people that masks aren't required for vaccinated passengers and not require verification.  That could work.  This is the way it works on land.

Unvaccinated cruisers voluntarily wearing masks..🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This nonsense about color coordinated bands will never happen. It would take about 5 min for drama to start because people would end up doing whatever they want anyway. Plus, who wants to wear a bracelet all day? The lanyard necklace all day is bad enough, don't need no more jewelry.  

I understand it probably will not happen, but then the protocols such as masks, distancing  and bubble excursions will be implemented for the unvaccinated and the vaccinated will have to sacrifice and suffer through it.  Or stay home with a refund.

Unvaccinated cruisers voluntarily wearing masks..🤣🤣🤣

Maybe if they were color coded to one's VIFP level, you'd at least have the Diamond/Platinum set on board. 😉

• Haha 2

I understand it probably will not happen, but then the protocols such as masks, distancing  and bubble excursions will be implemented for the unvaccinated and the vaccinated will have to sacrifice and suffer through it.  Or stay home with a refund.

That would be my choice. Those conditions are unacceptable to me. 

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Really?  Can you show me this in writing. I've been told carnival is allowing you to move to another date. I have never seen a post before this that if you dont like the protocols carnival will give you a refund. Doesnt sound right to me.

Refunds only if refundable rate or the cruiseline cancels ... not because you decided you didnt like the rules. I'd love to see this policy. You are the first to say this.

I didn't save my email, but this is similar to one of two emails I received regarding my August 21st Mardi Gras cruise.  I am copying this from someone else's thread:

Guest:

We are very excited about our upcoming restart and have been working hard for the return of guest operations.  We are in the process of finalizing our August sailing schedule and hope to have this completed soon.

We know you are eager to understand our plans for your sailing in August and appreciate your patience.  In the meantime, we are making the following accommodations to provide you with maximum flexibility:
  • Final payments due in May have been extended until June 14.
  • You may cancel without penalty by June 14 and receive a full refund.
  • If you booked a refundable fare with final payment due after June 14, you have until that later date to cancel for refund, consistent with your original fare rules.
  • If you exercise your ability to cancel without penalty under these flexible rules, you will not be eligible for any offer made to guests should the sailing ultimately be cancelled. 
We are hoping to be able to provide further information to you prior to June 14 but this action will allow those who have not yet made final payment to wait until we have greater clarity on sailing before making payment.

Additionally, in consultation with the cruise industry, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) has developed a revised set of guidelines to balance protecting public health while providing for an enjoyable vacation.   Among the CDC requirements we are working to implement is the operation of simulated cruises to test our protocols.  This will allow us more flexibility to allow unvaccinated children to sail, among other key procedures. 

As we start to communicate with our guests who are scheduled to sail in July about our Have Fun. Be Safe.TM protocols, they may differ slightly for August as those procedures continue to evolve.  Once we have more information about your cruise, we will be back to you with another update.

Thank you for your patience and support.  We are dedicated to welcoming you aboard a Carnival ship just as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Edited by TNcruising02

17 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Who are these making the rules ? Are the "rules" coming from somewhere beside  the CDC at the moment, or well as business owners?  I clearly am missing these folks that you say are making rules.  Help me understand the chain of command.

Masks, distancing and bubble excursions would not be needed on a 95% vaccinated, 5% unvaccinated kid cruise.  Once the minority group of unvaccinated adults are on board, protocols will be implemented such as the first three things I mentioned.   So by allowing the unvaccinated adults on board, they are making the rules.

And yet, places all over the country are opening, people are removing their masks, and things are moving forward just fine.  Masks aren't the miracle cure for covid that some people think.  Hopefully, nobody will be mandated to wear those stupid things.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

I didn't save my email, but this is similar to one of two emails I received regarding my August 21st Mardi Gras cruise.  I am copying this from someone else's thread:

Guest:

We are very excited about our upcoming restart and have been working hard for the return of guest operations.  We are in the process of finalizing our August sailing schedule and hope to have this completed soon.

We know you are eager to understand our plans for your sailing in August and appreciate your patience.  In the meantime, we are making the following accommodations to provide you with maximum flexibility:
  • Final payments due in May have been extended until June 14.
  • You may cancel without penalty by June 14 and receive a full refund.
  • If you booked a refundable fare with final payment due after June 14, you have until that later date to cancel for refund, consistent with your original fare rules.
  • If you exercise your ability to cancel without penalty under these flexible rules, you will not be eligible for any offer made to guests should the sailing ultimately be cancelled. 
We are hoping to be able to provide further information to you prior to June 14 but this action will allow those who have not yet made final payment to wait until we have greater clarity on sailing before making payment.

Additionally, in consultation with the cruise industry, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) has developed a revised set of guidelines to balance protecting public health while providing for an enjoyable vacation.   Among the CDC requirements we are working to implement is the operation of simulated cruises to test our protocols.  This will allow us more flexibility to allow unvaccinated children to sail, among other key procedures. 

As we start to communicate with our guests who are scheduled to sail in July about our Have Fun. Be Safe.TM protocols, they may differ slightly for August as those procedures continue to evolve.  Once we have more information about your cruise, we will be back to you with another update.

Thank you for your patience and support.  We are dedicated to welcoming you aboard a Carnival ship just as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Ok yes I did see they told july and august pax they could cancel. Oddly since I'm only 2 weeks later into sept I was never offered to cancel. My TA asked for a delay on final payment and they told him no.

I think carnival knew most july and august cruises arent going to go. Sept 11th, doesnt matter if I like masks or not, we got no offers. I cant cancel with carnival, nor offered obc to keep my booking. Lol I did feel a little slighted.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

Ok yes I did see they told july and august pax they could cancel. Oddly since I'm only 2 weeks later into sept I was never offered to cancel. My TA asked for a delay on final payment and they told him no.

I think carnival knew most july and august cruises arent going to go. Sept 11th, doesnt matter if I like masks or not, we got no offers. I cant cancel with carnival, nor offered obc to keep my booking. Lol I did feel a little slighted.

Although I hope things continue to get better, if everything is still as crazy in August then you might get that email too.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Face recognition software. The only way around it is to wear a mask. 🤣

I used to go into my local bank, and the sign said remove your hat and sunglasses.

Now the sign says MASKS required. It must be a lot easier to rob a bank these days.🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would check back on the extension. My final payment for my September MG was today so I called on Friday and they extended it to July 16.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Masks, distancing and bubble excursions would not be needed on a 95% vaccinated, 5% unvaccinated kid cruise.  Once the minority group of unvaccinated adults are on board, protocols will be implemented such as the first three things I mentioned.   So by allowing the unvaccinated adults on board, they are making the rules.

I sort of get what you are saying, but the harsh reality is life needs to move forward and the cruise lines need to make money to get out of the hole they are in.  I truly don't see anyone making rules besides the CDC.  And, I do see there are vaccinated only cruises available for those early cruisers to take advantage of if that is what you desire - but even those have rules.  I don't see that as any more than a short term starter either.

Things are changing daily.  I just hope there are enough changes to keep all the cruise lines sailing profitably.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Maybe if they were color coded to one's VIFP level, you'd at least have the Diamond/Platinum set on board. 😉

But I think that Diamonds and Platinums would have been smart enough to get the jab. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But I think that Diamonds and Platinums would have been smart enough to get the jab. 😉

They are probably older and more likely to be in a high risk group, so let's hope all high risk cruisers are fully vaccinated or have recovered from covid.

24 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That would be my choice. Those conditions are unacceptable to me. 

And until Carnival comes out with the specifics of exactly what protocols will be, it's pure speculation.  But you have to assume by letting the unvaccinated adults on board Carnival will try to minimize any possible problems and masks, distancing and excursion bubbles could be their solution.

19 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

And yet, places all over the country are opening, people are removing their masks, and things are moving forward just fine.  Masks aren't the miracle cure for covid that some people think.  Hopefully, nobody will be mandated to wear those stupid things.

The problem is that you can't compare land based protocols with cruise ship ones because of the space restrictions.

• Like 1