Ocean Medallion, Tried Android Emulator on My PC

DavidsNana

I tried an android emulator on my PC so that I could get the Google Play Store.  Everything went fine until I tried to install the Princess app and was then given a message saying that it can not be installed on this device.  So much for trying.  Now mind you, I am definitely not tech savvy!!  Just trying different things and just wanted to let anyone else know that might think of trying this, that it does not work for me.  Back to the drawing board.  

• Like 1

I had the same results, installing 4 different Android emulators on my Windows 10 PC in an attempt to get the MedallionClass app running on Windows: 

• BlueStacks (v5.0.220.1003),
  • NoxPlayer (v7.0.1.2), 
  • LDPlayer (v4.0.57.1), and
  • MEmuPlayer (v7.5.3).

Some MedallionClass on Windows PC links:

---

My results:

• I wasn't able to get LDPlayer nor MEmuPlayer running correctly.

• On BlueStacks, the MedallionClass app doesn't come up on Google Play Store.
    image.thumb.png.54374daa69eef9fde0bea0958f3d1aca.png

• On NoxPlayer, the MedallionClass app comes up on the Google Play Store list -- but clicking on it I get "Item not found".
    image.thumb.png.c3ac0ee7127a91e190b944a3d251df68.png
    ---
    image.thumb.png.0dbe98dc55ba4e7878d4350cd110fa94.png

• From both the BlueStacks and NoxPlayer browsers, I then pulled up the Princess Medallion link ( https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ ); with both I got the "Your device isn't compatible with this version" message.

BlueStacks:
    image.thumb.png.25e19ab80379d811c40d74d18f989b1e.png

NoxPlayer:
    image.thumb.png.6fb54eaa43020116350d8f7e59f8389a.png

----
Researching further, it appears the most recent Android operating system for emulation on Windows is Android Nougat version 7.1.3_r39, last updated October 2019.

---

----

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Thanks 1

I don't care to get frustrated trying a work around. I will simply present at the pier and go to the tech dummy line. It might takes me a few minutes longer to finish the check in but all the struggle to use their medallion app are worth it to me. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

I had the same results, installing 4 different Android emulators on my Windows 10 PC in an attempt to get the MedallionClass app running on Windows: 

• BlueStacks (v5.0.220.1003),
  • NoxPlayer (v7.0.1.2), 
  • LDPlayer (v4.0.57.1), and
  • MEmuPlayer (v7.5.3).

Some MedallionClass on Windows PC links:

---

My results:

• I wasn't able to get LDPlayer nor MEmuPlayer running correctly.

• On BlueStacks, the MedallionClass app doesn't come up on Google Play Store.
    image.thumb.png.54374daa69eef9fde0bea0958f3d1aca.png

• On NoxPlayer, the MedallionClass app comes up on the Google Play Store list -- but clicking on it I get "Item not found".
    image.thumb.png.c3ac0ee7127a91e190b944a3d251df68.png
    ---
    image.thumb.png.0dbe98dc55ba4e7878d4350cd110fa94.png

• From both the BlueStacks and NoxPlayer browsers, I then pulled up the Princess Medallion link ( https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ ); with both I got the "Your device isn't compatible with this version" message.

BlueStacks:
    image.thumb.png.25e19ab80379d811c40d74d18f989b1e.png

NoxPlayer:
    image.thumb.png.6fb54eaa43020116350d8f7e59f8389a.png

----
Researching further, it appears the most recent Android operating system for emulation on Windows is Android Nougat version 7.1.3_r39, last updated October 2019.

---

----

As you've discovered, the emulators all tend to run Android 7 or earlier, not helpful when the MC app demands Android 8+. I gave up on the Windows and Linux emulators and went the virtualisation route instead. Set up Oracle's Virtualbox on a Win10 PC, then installed the well known and fully functional X-86 system inside it, choosing Android 9 as a stable option. The MedallionClass app installs just fine but when opened, it immediately crashes with a white screen and an error message "MedallionClass keeps stopping". I'm not overly surprised, since this app  barely qualifies as alphaware, and I'll keep playing with it, installing different Versions of Android to see if one can actually get it to work.

Right now, the only option for running this horrible MC app on a PC or Mac is, sadly, only available to users of late-model Samsung phones. Both Microsoft and Samsung have apps which run Android just fine, but not many folks can take advantage of it. I have to admit that running Android on a Win10 PC (don't have a Mac) is dead easy and the MC app runs exactly the same as it does on my Samsung S9+.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't care to get frustrated trying a work around. I will simply present at the pier and go to the tech dummy line. It might takes me a few minutes longer to finish the check in but all the struggle to use their medallion app are worth it to me. 

Currently it appears from info released (I think it was to travel agents?)  that the health info needs to be updated a couple days prior to the cruise and the only way to do that is in the app.  Without that health info you run the risk of not being permitted to cruise.   There is another thread where this is being discussed.  

This issue will be one to watch to see how Princess actually deals with it, once cruises do start again.  I'm very curious to see what will actually occur for people that do not do any checkin at all, or that do some but not the health update right before the cruise.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisintoddler said:

Currently it appears from info released (I think it was to travel agents?)  that the health info needs to be updated a couple days prior to the cruise and the only way to do that is in the app.  Without that health info you run the risk of not being permitted to cruise.   There is another thread where this is being discussed.  

This issue will be one to watch to see how Princess actually deals with it, once cruises do start again.  I'm very curious to see what will actually occur for people that do not do any check in at all, or that do some but not the health update right before the cruise.    

Princess will have to let people know before final payment if they have to do a health questionnaire as a requirement on the app because  they clearly have stated one can do the check in at the pier and they will have a separate line. It would be common sense that if one needed to check in online due to not having a smart phone or one that accommodates their app they would also not be able to do this health form.   Perhaps it would be a good work around to simply email a scan of my vaccination record from my computer.  

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

As you've discovered, the emulators all tend to run Android 7 or earlier, not helpful when the MC app demands Android 8+. I gave up on the Windows and Linux emulators and went the virtualisation route instead. Set up Oracle's Virtualbox on a Win10 PC, then installed the well known and fully functional X-86 system inside it, choosing Android 9 as a stable option. The MedallionClass app installs just fine but when opened, it immediately crashes with a white screen and an error message "MedallionClass keeps stopping". I'm not overly surprised, since this app  barely qualifies as alphaware, and I'll keep playing with it, installing different Versions of Android to see if one can actually get it to work.

What about the emulator in android studio?

36 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

What about the emulator in android studio?

Valid point. I haven't tried AS yet as I have the functionality I need from other sources.  I may give it a try JFTHOI, but for me right now, using Samsung Dex or Windows built-in "Your Phone" app work perfectly fine on my Sammy S9+. Thanks for the reminder about AS though, it's something to consider.

17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Princess will have to let people know before final payment if they have to do a health questionnaire as a requirement on the app because  they clearly have stated one can do the check in at the pier and they will have a separate line. It would be common sense that if one needed to check in online due to not having a smart phone or one that accommodates their app they would also not be able to do this health form.  

Updated Princess Q&A says

Prior to the cruise departure, using the MedallionClass app, guests will be required to attest that they will be fully vaccinated at time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

We’re requiring all guests, no later than midnight before their sailing date, to complete online check-in and select an arrival time using the MedallionClass app.

you should receive a notification to complete your health questionnaire from 72 hours before you embark the ship, using the MedallionClass app. You’ll be asked to complete the questionnaire before leaving home to begin traveling on your vacation, and then reconfirm your answers when arriving at the port.

None of the Q&A indicate there will be a separate line at check-in for those who did not have access to the app.

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I gave up on the Windows and Linux emulators and went the virtualisation route instead. Set up Oracle's Virtualbox on a Win10 PC, then installed the well known and fully functional X-86 system inside it, choosing Android 9 as a stable option.

Somehow I have the feeling that a majority of people who do not have smart phones would not be proficient in going this route on their PC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Somehow I have the feeling that a majority of people who do not have smart phones would not be proficient in going this route on their PC.

Somehow I have the feeling that most folks WITH smartphones wouldn't either. I was merely responding to the OP, who clearly would be proficient enough to try itIn any case, the squalid state of this app makes this a moot point, as there doesn't seem to be any way forward on this for those without newer Samsung phones.

A Basic Question

We have two year old iPhones and are good on basic apps and tasks, but given the challenges apparent younger computer whizzes are enduring, we're not prepared for such endless stress.

Is one able to try to enter all required info BEFORE final payment?

We're looking forward to our May cruise as much as anyone, but not so much that we're not prepared to simply 'run' before final payment.

Sure hope someone can offer a definitive answer,

Thanks techies,

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
Clarity

2 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

A Basic Question

We have two year old iPhones and are good on basic apps and tasks, but given the challenges apparent younger computer whizzes are enduring, we're not prepared for such endless stress.

Is one able to try to enter all required info BEFORE final payment?

We're looking forward to our May cruise as much as anyone, but not so much that we're not prepared to simply 'run' before final payment.

Sure hope someone can offer a definitive answer,

Thanks techies,

Ruth

It’s based on your operating system, try to download the App from the store on your iPhone and it will let you know if it’s compatible with your operating system 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

lx200gps, I am the original poster and heck no I don't feel proficient enough to do what you said.  However, I am not adverse to trying almost anything so I may just try this some day when I have time.  I'm always trying to learn new things.  Thanks for your suggestion.  For now, I am taking a break and reading all the info I can get.  My cruise isn't until Feb 27th 2022 so I have some time.  However, I do like to arrive at the port early if possible and I am a planner so would like to have my specialty restaurant res. locked down early on if possible.  If we do get on the cruise, my adult divorced son is going with me, and we can't get a res. at a decent time in the Steakhouse, he will not be a happy camper.  LOL  He loves that place.  Me I can take food as it comes.  Not my primary or even secondary reason for cruising.  I have been thinking and planning on getting a smart device/phone anyway but I sure hate to be pushed into it before I feel I want to due to Princess not being reasonably accommodating to those of us who do not currently have one or those who do not wish to have one.  Thanks again for your suggestion.