Florida vs. CDC

logan25

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I disagree with you on that. I don't agree with the use of grand statements like the ONLY way to bring cruising back is with full vaccination. No, it isn't. It's ONE way, but not the ONLY way. Your cruise isn't going to be interrupted by quarantine. And I don't see how DeSantis's lawsuit is hurting anyone, he literally just won it. There are common sense approaches to mitigating the risk (not eliminating it altogether, that's pie-in-the-sky fantasyland and won't happen), and cruising has proven to be safe. Have to sign off for now, have a great evening!

You are spot on! Great post!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skywonder said:

Bingo! This is good thing and today a is a good day! I'm very happy for this win.

Florida wins what?   Cruise industry was in process of opening anyway.  What matters is that it opens safely and in a manner that allows it to stay open.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, skywonder said:

He is not pretending there is no Covid, he is just following the actual science. Florida is doing great, it is time for people to get back to living again. Great win for Florida and a great day for Cruisers!

He has been and is continuing to pretend it doesn’t exist.  FL is not doing great at all. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

We will cancel as well our Aug 7 cruise. I am praying NCL sticks to their guns

I do too. That’s the reason I cancelled my Carnival cruise out of FL and switched to NCL for Alaska. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Florida wins what?   Cruise industry was in process of opening anyway.  What matters is that it opens safely and in a manner that allows it to stay open.  

You didn't read the Order, did you?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

How is this going to effect requiring 100% vaccination on cruise ships?  We don't have a cruise scheduled until December and it is out of NOLA so this does not directly impact us but indirectly it might.  We are fully vaccinated so I am confident that we are protected from covid related death or hospitalization.  If this legal wrangling drops the requirement for full vaccination I can easily see the petri dish image of the cruise industry rearing its ugly head.  If NCL was not requiring full vaccination we would not have booked our cruise.  With an unknown quantity of unvaccinated on board there are just too many things that can go wrong.  

This ruling affects Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganBound said:

This debate isn't over yet.  It's just a temporary ruling for a few short weeks.  ABC just covered the story on the world news and their report stated that the unvaccinated could expect to have a different cruising experience on RCI cruises out of Florida.  The unvaccinated can expect to have to mask up whilst inside the ship.  They will having more restrictive dining options and may not be allowed access to some events and shows.  Doesn't sound like much fun to me for the unvaccinated.

I have no cruises booked for the rest of 2021 so none of this will impact me at all.  I do know that if I had a 100% vaccinated cruise booked and that was later changed to something other than a 100% vaccinated cruise, I would be cancelling ASAP.

Anyway, let's see where this all end up.

Did you read the ruling? Doesn't seem so as your "interpretation" isn't correct. RCIs "class" system might violate the intent of the FL law and expose RCI to huge fines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

This is what I was looking for…. People said it might before but it could just be a bunch of hot air.  It sounds like all the judge wants is more specific instruction from the cdc. 

applies to Florida. And, no, the judge just doesn't want more "specific instruction" from the CDC. It's ordering the CDC to modify its CSO to comply with his order. READ THE RULING.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

exactly. It only takes one "outbreak" to ruin it for the industry, they gotta be careful at first, regardless if there is a CSO or not.

The outbreak last year was, primarily, due to the negligence of Princess and Japan. Much has been learned since then.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

You didn't read the Order, did you?

I read it did you?  Are you not aware cruising is already underway?  All desantis has been  doing is getting in the way of an orderly and safe way for cruising to resume.  I don't want to be on a cruise ship with a bunch of unvaccinated people do you?   

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Did you read the ruling? Doesn't seem so as your "interpretation" isn't correct. RCIs "class" system might violate the intent of the FL law and expose RCI to huge fines.

I did not read the ruling.  My comment was not my "interpretation".  i was simply conveying the story as covered by ABC News.  If you disagree, take it up with ABC.

In any case, how on earth would Florida law have jurisdiction over a cruise ship that is sailing outside of Florida waters?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

The outbreak last year was, primarily, due to the negligence of Princess and Japan. Much has been learned since then.

Among other things we have learned it is not a good idea to ruin people's vacations and make them suffer through quarantine.  Most intelligent and informed people would agree that is exactly what would happen if unvaccinated people are allowed to cruise.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't agree with the use of grand statements like the ONLY way to bring cruising back is with full vaccination. No, it isn't. It's ONE way, but not the ONLY way. Your cruise isn't going to be interrupted by quarantine.

I don't see how in one breath you can disagree with the use of "grand statements" then make one of your own in the next by saying "your cruise isn't going to be interrupted by quarantine."

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

reality doesn't matter, public perception does, unfair as that is. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many ports will still take ships that are not 95% or 100% vaccinated.  

We are vaccinated and cancelling our cruise tomorrow for August from Miami

We live in South Florida and know many who work in the cruise industry.  Many of them want 100% vaccinations for their ships.   

• Like 3

We will see what happens, Federal Government was closed today and injunction doesn't take effect immediately. My guess is Feds appeal just on basis that international travel is their call and letting a state override their policies would be a mess. 

This is why most cruise lines are demanding that all guests be 95%+ vaccinated. They cannot afford to have sailings end mid cruise due to an outbreak. The cost of refunding all guests, bad publicity and the list goes on and on. They know that they have one shot to get this right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

On the contrary, FL is doing great.

No, FL is not. While many states are going down in cases, FL went from 696/day last week to 1636/day this week (https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/09/01/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s#res818547056)

Vaccine wise, FL is also much lower than many other states. Not as bad as some otgersein the south, but definitely not on the higher end either. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skywonder said:

He is not pretending there is no Covid, he is just following the actual science. Florida is doing great, it is time for people to get back to living again. Great win for Florida and a great day for Cruisers!

Florida actually leads the country now in COVID cases.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, lux4me said:

This is why most cruise lines are demanding that all guests be 95%+ vaccinated. They cannot afford to have sailings end mid cruise due to an outbreak. The cost of refunding all guests, bad publicity and the list goes on and on. They know that they have one shot to get this right. 

And the ships hospital facilities can not handle a COVID outbreak 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PointNemo said:

Very surprised with this ruling.

Have to say though, Judge Merryday has just given the cruise industry enough rope to do you know what. The CDC will now wash their hands and finger point back to the magistrate in case something goes south (And not a question or if but when).

One major covid outbreak on a ship out of Florida and the industry is finished.

Interesting times ahead. How will this temporary 30 day injunction affect the Alaska season? Are cruises out of Seattle in danger as we speak?

Yes cruises from Seattle may be cancel now .. let’s see how this  plays out .. it’s frustrating 

Regarding NCL's 100% vaccine requirement, I doubt this will be affected because it applies to worldwide sailings not just those out of Florida.  Having said that I can't see this requirement continuing indefinitely, at some point I expect anyone will be allowed back on the ships irrespective of vaccine status so we will see what happens then.

• Like 1