Itinerary help - Where to spend a few days after our river cruise ends in Avignon?

skinnylegs

We recently changed our river cruise to the Uniworld Burgundy/Provence, Lyon to Avignon to the first week of September, 2021. I haven't had a lot of time to research the area but would like to finalize my air travel using points. We want to spend 3 days after the cruise and thought someplace along the Cote d'Azur would be nice. We probably won't rent a car. We could take a train to Nice and flying back to the US from the Nice airport. Is there a town close to Marseilles that would make more sense? Thanks!

You can go from Marseille to Aix-en-Provence, which is a lovely town with Cezanne connections but is in the mountains, not on the coast (bus 35 min, train 48 min).

If you base in Nice, you can do day trips to Antibes (26 min train ride), Juan-les-Pins (29 min), and Cannes (40 min) – actually the same train makes all those stops from Nice to Cannes.

I would also post this question in the France Ports forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/462-france-ports/

• Like 1

If you have never seen a Roman amphitheatre before, do not leave the area without seeing Arles. Nimes is supposed to be interesting as well. I have heard good things about Aix-en-Provence, but have not been there.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Arles is included on OP's cruise.

Among the options on the Avignon stop, I strong recommend Pont du Gard – the #1 Roman site in southern France, and not something you can do on your own without a car.

The other big attraction in the area, which I don't see on Uniworld's website, is Les Baux and the Carrières de Lumières – another don't miss site, but again something that isn't easy without a car.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Aix-en-Provence is a town that seems to be highly recommended. Antibes is worth considering. We don't have to stay in Nice. My priority is deciding which airport to fly out of, Marseilles or Nice?  Staying in the city, Marseilles, (from my very limited research) is not my top choice.  Maybe a smaller, quaint town on the Mediterranean not too far from the Marseilles or Nice airports?

I second the suggestion to visit Pont du Gard.  Definitely one of the most memorable sites that I have seen in Europe.

We stayed four days in Avignon itself and loved it.  Aix was nice, but a bit too small for my liking to stay in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djh1959 said:

Aix was nice, but a bit too small for my liking to stay in.

Worth half a day sightseeing, then half a day sitting at a cafe people watching.

There is a cool museum on a back street, Musée Granet features several works by Cezanne including the famous Mont Sainte-Victoire (you see the view he painted on the drive up to the city).

I've been doing a lot of research since I posted.  We decided to take a train, probably from Avignon, spend a few days somewhere on the Cote d'Azur (Nice, Antibes, St. Tropez) and fly out of Nice.

Pont du Gard will be a must see with Uniworld. We also will make sure to see Palais des Papes on our own if we can't do both with Uniworld.

We start with a few days in Lyon. We aren't opposed to renting a car here but I'm not sure we'll need it.  We may look into a wine tour. I didn't see any wine tours on the basic Uniworld itinerary that we are on since we are not on the Connoisseur tour.  Does anyone know if they offer special excursions for an additional fee? 

Thank you to all for the advice on what to see. I'm definitely listening to your suggestions!

Jazzbeau, I have also looked through the River Port forum. It's a helpful resource.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks, I read his book yesterday. I am interested int he Resistance Museum among other things.

We haven't figured out a place to stay yet.  We are looking for something with a good location, quaint, maybe 300 euros max a night. If anyone has suggestions? I will also look on trip advisor and will ask our travel agent.